Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 03-31-2017, 03:40 PM   #1
smueske
Human being with feelings

Default Dancing Down the Rabbit Hole (final version)

Many thanks for listening and for your comments on earlier versions. I have just posted the final version.

https://soundcloud.com/steve-mueske/...he-rabbit-hole

Last edited by smueske; 04-03-2017 at 06:37 PM.
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
RDBOIS
Banned

As far as I'm concern, Down The Rabbit Hole evoked some feelings of fear, uneasiness and anxiety. In a good way, I mean in a artistic way... It's like the song was taking me into a mysterious place; perhaps tunnels made to catch me in a dark labyrinth.

The song is like music for a movie, except I was making up the scenes in my mind.

I've been down a few rabbit holes in my time, but have come to realize that I actually prefer being above ground in sunlight, wind and rain. Plus, the rabbits are not very happy that humans have hijacked their homes...

On a technical side, if you listen very attentively you will notice in a few places some "clicks and pops". This is probably due to the rendering process. I've had this happen to me a few times. You really have to listen carefully... Very near the end, for example, is a click. Heck, at first I thought it was because of Soundcloud streaming artifacts or because I had open another program while listening to your song. But I re-winded it and it was still there.

I wish I knew exactly why these things happen at rendering in Reaper?! All I know is that, when this happens to me, I try rendering it again, but this time I don't touch anything (don't surf the internet, don't touch the mouse, etc.). I sit back and wait. Also, my computer is not very high on RAM/CPU, so I disable the Wifi network and close all other programs.

Oh well...

That's all I got.

What are you going to add next to your song? I can imagine some very distorted/muffled human voices mumbling in a foggy/background; like hearing people talking in the tunnel beside but not hearing what they are saying: maybe even Alex Jones stirring propaganda? LOL
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:46 AM   #3
smueske

Thank you for listening and commenting! I appreciate your time. I'll listen for the clicks. There are a few things like that I need to tidy up. Not sure what I'll add next, but I need to do some volume leveling in places. I've always wanted to work with voices, but not sure I'll do that in this piece.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:37 PM   #4
smueske

I have just posted the final version (link in original post), if anyone is interested.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:25 PM   #5
mschnell

In fact this is one of the very few "fully electronic" compositions (sound and making) that I happily listened to up till the end. It's really "convincing" and decently transports a feeling.

Thanks for sharing.

- Michael (hating EDM )
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #6
smueske

Thank you for listening! Electronic music is actually quite a wide field. I'm not a huge fan of dance music, either, but some is interesting. I like listening to xenharmonic, ambient, and avant garde stuff mostly.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #7
ElCongelador

Interesting stuff. I actually think this would be nice as a longer piece. If it's now an A-B form, it could be worked into an A-B-A'. Of course, it's fine as it is, a short rabbit hole
ElCongelador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #8
smueske

Thank you very much for listening and commenting. I actually abuse the ABA form, so I deliberately tried not to do that. I do need to work longer. I just don't seem to have the patience, but it is something I'm aware of.