Old 03-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
Tsjanith
Human being with feelings

Default Alesis io2 setup

When I hook up my Alesis io2 to my laptop, the output is strictly through the left speaker. I cannot find the option to toggle mono to stereo for output.

I'm sure at least 98% of you here can answer this =)

Thanks!

Last edited by Tsjanith; 03-29-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Tsjanith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #2
nicholas
Scribe

First thing to check is your Audio Device Preferences.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
Tsjanith

Yeah that's the first thing I did anyway.

I checked it over, and even fiddled with the majority of the settings. The results-either no sound or left speaker only
Old 03-28-2017, 08:38 PM   #4
nicholas
Scribe

Even if you accidentally set the master to mono, REAPER will still direct output to both speakers.

If you definitely have enabled all channels in Audio device prefs (including first and last output), I'd say next place to look is in your Alesis control software. I don't have that item so can't be more specific I'm afraid.

Last edited by nicholas; 03-28-2017 at 10:08 PM. Reason: explain better
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:55 AM   #5
Tsjanith

Yeah I looked into that, but it doesn't look like there is any Alesis specific control software involved.

Do you think I need AISO4ALL to make this work?
Old 03-29-2017, 06:28 AM   #6
slipstick

I suppose you have checked that you haven't accidentally panned the Master channel hard left ? Sorry but after years working computer support I always ask the basic questions. Sometimes people do come back saying "I wouldn't do anything silly like that...but it's o.k. it seems to have fixed itself" .

Are you using external speakers ? Connected to the main outs of the Alesis ? Or what ? Are both speakers are definitely connected ? Does anything play through both speakers normally ?

Steve

Last edited by slipstick; 03-29-2017 at 06:33 AM.
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:47 AM   #7
insub

Default Alesis i|o 2, Alesis io2, io 2

I had one of those. For sure, there is no ASIO driver provided by Alesis. You will need to use ASIO4ALL, WASAPI, direct, or wave out drivers. Alesis actually has a link to ASIO4ALL from their support page.

Primarily, though, it sounds like you have not enabled the correct "Last" output in the Audio Device Preferences. If the "First" and "Last" outputs both indicate the same output (like Alexis io2 1 or L) then the #2 (R/right) is not activated for Reaper to utilize.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:36 AM   #8
Tsjanith

Hi guys. Thanks for your replies.

Nope, the master channel is centered, thanks though =)

Yes, I have external speakers hooked up through my PC, and they are both working fine until I connect the device.

Here's some details:

I can only get sound in the audio device preferences through Audio System- DirectSound, Input device/ Primary Sound capture driver or Microphone (io2) with output device-Speakers (VIA HD AUDIO) *OR* Audio System- WaveOut, Input Device-Microphone (io2) with output device-Speakers (VIA HD AUDIO)

I downloaded in installed ASIO4ALL. but when I go to Audio System- ASIO, the only driver available is ASIO4ALL v2, with no way to connect my Alesis with ASIO.

I have not been able to locate options for "First" or "Last" anywhere. Now if this is in a really obvious location and it has somehow eluded my eye, please do bear with me! I'm brand new at this particular kind of recording =)

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2017, 07:44 AM   #9
Tsjanith

Update

I clicked the ASIO configuration and switched it from VI HD AUDIO to io, with Input-First 1: io2 1 and Last 2: io2 2. The outputs are the same. From this I was able to get Reaper to recognize the audio input, but I can't get sound from either speaker now.
¯\_(o_0)_/¯
Old 03-29-2017, 08:00 AM   #10
slipstick

That's because you've just switched it send the output to your Alesis. And that's not where the speakers are connected. They're connected to the internal soundcard, aren't they?

If the Alesis calls itself IO then you need the ASIO configuration looking at BOTH that and the internal soundcard (probably something like Realtek High Def Audio). Then the the INPUTS set to IO2 and the OUTPUTS, first and last set to HD Output1 and 2.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:27 AM   #11
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsjanith View Post
I clicked the ASIO configuration and switched it from VI HD AUDIO to io, with Input-First 1: io2 1 and Last 2: io2 2. The outputs are the same. From this I was able to get Reaper to recognize the audio input, but I can't get sound from either speaker now.
Here's some general info about using the ASIO4ALL Panel: https://www.image-line.com/support/F...s_asio4all.htm

As slipstick already mentioned, make sure that all necessary audio devices and their In/Outs are activated in the ASIO4ALL panel first.
Then make sure that the correct in/outputs are set up in Reaper.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:56 AM   #12
insub

Please, read all of chapter 1 Getting Started in the Reaper User Guide, particularly chapter 1.12 Setting Up For Audio.

Additionally, this thread would be more useful to others if you change the title of your original post to something like "Alesis i|o 2 setup."
Old 03-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #13
Tsjanith

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
That's because you've just switched it send the output to your Alesis. And that's not where the speakers are connected. They're connected to the internal soundcard, aren't they?

If the Alesis calls itself IO then you need the ASIO configuration looking at BOTH that and the internal soundcard (probably something like Realtek High Def Audio). Then the the INPUTS set to IO2 and the OUTPUTS, first and last set to HD Output1 and 2.

Steve
The only way the options for either of them to come up in the First and Last dropdowns is if I switch them. There has been no way for me to have access to both of them concurrently. It's one or the other on both First and Last boxes =/
Old 03-29-2017, 11:58 AM   #14
Tsjanith

Ok so I was finally able to get AISO to work, but doing exactly what slapstick says (IO 1 & 2 for input, VIA HD Audio Output 1 & 2 for output), STILL LEFT SPEAKER ONLY.

So after all, the problem persists
Old 03-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #15
insub

Default Aggregate interface with ASIO4ALL

My friend, you need to learn a bit more about ASIO4ALL. ASIO4ALL can actually aggregate soundcards (interfaces), but the result is not always satisfactory.

You should really change the inputs AND outputs that you are physically using to be connected to the IO2. Using a single audio driver is preferred for smooth performance.

However, it is possible to open the ASIO4ALL control panel and utilize all available Windows audio drivers simultaneously. This is called an Aggregate Audio Device or Aggregating Audio Interfaces.

Open the ASIO4ALL control panel from within Reaper.
Ctrl+P > Audio > Device > Click the ASIO Configuration button to open the current ASIO driver's (ASIO4ALL) control panel.
Click the Wrench Icon Button (Advanced Options) in the ASIO4ALL control panel that pops up.
Make sure that the inputs and outputs of both your soundcard (Realtek HD) and your interface (Alesis I|O 2) have their buttons lit up.
Now they are aggregated (capable of both being utilized at once).
Close the ASIO4ALL control panel and re-select the appropriate INPUT and OUTPUT "First & Last" that you want to use.

If you have more than 2 outputs then you'll need to set the Master hardware output to use the outputs that you want. Otherwise it will default to the first output pair. See 11.15 Master Hardware Outputs in the Reaper User Guide.

For what you're doing you may only need to use the IO2 inputs and the Realtek HD outputs. In that case, set the First/Last Inputs to IO2 1&2 and the First/Last Outputs to Realtek HD 1&2.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:10 PM   #16
Tsjanith

I don't have Realtek HD (like everyone seems to assume I do).

What comes up in device manager and everything in Reaper is VIA HD AUDIO.

Is that a problem? May or may not be a stupid question. Gotta ask anyway
Old 03-29-2017, 06:34 PM   #17
insub

Sorry, mine's a Realtek HD on the laptop I'm using. The fundamentals in this discussion are regardless the particular make of internal/integrated soundcard.

Quote:
Yes, I have external speakers hooked up through my PC, and they are both working fine until I connect the device.
So, both speakers work outside of Reaper? And, do you lose one side of the speakers outside of Reaper as soon as the IO2 is connected?
Are the speakers USB or analog (connected via 1/8" TRS jack to headphones/line output)?

You're sure that your tracks aren't all panned Left?
The audio jack to the speakers is plugged in all the way?
Have you tried connecting the speakers to the IO2 yet?
How many tracks do you have in Reaper, and when you pan them right they just disappear (audibly that is)?

This problem really shouldn't be this difficult to troubleshoot.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:11 PM   #18
Tsjanith

Quote:
Originally Posted by insub View Post
Sorry, mine's a Realtek HD on the laptop I'm using. The fundamentals in this discussion are regardless the particular make of internal/integrated soundcard.

So, both speakers work outside of Reaper? And, do you lose one side of the speakers outside of Reaper as soon as the IO2 is connected?
Are the speakers USB or analog (connected via 1/8" TRS jack to headphones/line output)?

You're sure that your tracks aren't all panned Left?
The audio jack to the speakers is plugged in all the way?
Have you tried connecting the speakers to the IO2 yet?
How many tracks do you have in Reaper, and when you pan them right they just disappear (audibly that is)?

This problem really shouldn't be this difficult to troubleshoot.
Yes, both speakers work outside of Reaper. No, the speakers still work just fine on everything else. They are analog trs jack Logitech speakers.

Yes.
Yes.
There are no suitable ports on the io2 for a 1/8 TRS jack
1 track (trying to record guitar) and I don't know. Never tried that. I'll get back to you on this one as soon as I get another chance to dick around with it.

I agree. Yet it is very tenacious regardless
Old 03-29-2017, 08:52 PM   #19
insub

Quote:
There are no suitable ports on the io2 for a 1/8 TRS jack
You can get an adapter for not much. 1/8" female TRS stereo splitter to dual 1/4" mono TS male.

**EDIT: Alternatively, you could connect your Logitech speakers to the Headphones output using a 1/8-1/4" adapter.**

Quote:
1 track (trying to record guitar) and I don't know. Never tried that. I'll get back to you on this one as soon as I get another chance to dick around with it.
Are you playing back already recorded media, or are you only having trouble with hardware monitoring the live input?

If you are monitoring the live input, there is a switch on the front of the IO2 that says MONO/STEREO. Having this switch in the STEREO position will only throughput the audio of Input 1 to the Left channel and Input 2 to the Right channel. Switching it to MONO will thoughtput both channels to both Left & Right outputs when using the hardware, zero-latency, direct monitoring.

Media playback panning will be governed by settings in REAPER.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #20
Tsjanith

Quote:
Originally Posted by insub View Post
You can get an adapter for not much. 1/8" female TRS stereo splitter to dual 1/4" mono TS male.

**EDIT: Alternatively, you could connect your Logitech speakers to the Headphones output using a 1/8-1/4" adapter.**

Are you playing back already recorded media, or are you only having trouble with hardware monitoring the live input?

If you are monitoring the live input, there is a switch on the front of the IO2 that says MONO/STEREO. Having this switch in the STEREO position will only throughput the audio of Input 1 to the Left channel and Input 2 to the Right channel. Switching it to MONO will thoughtput both channels to both Left & Right outputs when using the hardware, zero-latency, direct monitoring.

Media playback panning will be governed by settings in REAPER.
I have it set to MONO, and have tweaked the playback settings ad nauseum. Still, the output remains on the left speaker. I have a pair of mixing headphones which I tried as well. Output is confined to the left headphone
Old 03-30-2017, 07:13 AM   #21
Tsjanith

http://imgur.com/a/58Xpz

Here us a screen of my ASIO settings.

I am literally BEGGING for help with this issue. I've been combing the internet for an answer, and have come up with absolutely nothing
Old 03-30-2017, 08:42 AM   #22
solger

Quote:
http://imgur.com/a/58Xpz

Here us a screen of my ASIO settings.

I am literally BEGGING for help with this issue. I've been combing the internet for an answer, and have come up with absolutely nothing
As far as I can tell from the screenshot, the settings seem to look OK so far.
I haven't checked if this was already mentioned in one of the previous posts, but maybe recheck the Hardware Outputs for the Master Track, just in case (at around 2:44): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCoxSmr-2VU

Is using ASIO4ALL as audio driver working in a different application or DAW?
Otherwise can you attach your .RPP Reaper Project file in a post, so we can check if the project settings look OK ... http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=140670

Last edited by solger; 03-30-2017 at 09:12 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #23
insub

I'm with Solger on this.
Did you double check your Master hardware routing after switching to the ASIO4ALL driver?
You set the hardware outputs for the Master by clicking the I/O button on the Master channel in the MCP (Mixer Control Panel) bottom left in your screenshot.

Did you start a new project from scratch since switching to the ASIO4ALL driver?

You did not answer whether the problem affects both live monitoring and recording playback or not. I see that you have recorded something mono on that one track and it is center panned with the Master center panned, MONO button OFF. All that looks good. All your settings look correct. If it's only playback then your Item could be panned hard left even though the track is centered. Items can be panned independently from the track pan setting.
7.16.2 The Volume and Pan Faders

Have you tried updating your VIA chipset driver?
Are the speakers plugged into a dedicated Line Out from the motherboard or the headphones out? Your ASIO4ALL control panel shows the Headphones output is disabled. Is this a laptop? Laptops usually only have a headphones out and no line out. But, typically you do not get only one channel working. Either both channels work or neither. Try activating all outputs related to the VIA in both ASIO4ALL and Reaper and switch between each pair on your Master track until you find the pair that works.

Did you read chapter 11.15 like I recommended earlier?

Honestly, from what we've seen so far, all that's left is faulty Master hardware output assignment. We have offered you every reasonable troubleshooting solution for this problem. Either you are not providing us with some other pertinent information or you have not attempted all the offered solutions. The only thing left outside of our recommendations is hardware failure, but you have confirmed that the hardware functions properly outside of Reaper even with the Alesis I|O 2 connected. So, that brings us back to the Master Track Hardware Routing since all Reaper Preference settings are correct.

I guess the only topic that could affect the output we have not covered is chapter
6.13 Hardware Output FX Monitoring.
You didn't activate any Hardware Output Monitoring FX did you?
It doesn't appear so from the screenshot, but the green MONITOR FX button may not be visible while the Audio Preferences dialog box is open and Audio Device closed. I do not know if it shows with those open or not.

If it's not one of these then I'm at a loss for your situation.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #24
Tsjanith

Thanks for your suggestions guy.

I'll work on it tonight and get back to you
Old 03-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #25
J Kennedy

Tsjanith,

Too burned out to read thru all the thread, but a couple things.

Plug in a good verified headphone and see if you are getting both channels. If so, the answer could be as simple as a busted wire going out to the dead channel.

Would not likely make a difference, but load the factory driver for your box. ASIO4ALL is supported. Alesis published their own driver specific to the hardware unit. I have the driver if you need or cannot find.

John

(edit..) saw your post about trying headphones, so can rule the broken wire out as a cause... Sorry... One bad possibility after all of this is that you are dealing with a hardware failure. The Alesis unit is USB 1, greater latency, not the greatest sound quality either. I have one used now only as a paper weight. Could be a liberating moment to upgrade on the bright side. Try also to test with another generic connector between the Alesis and USB in case something is messed up there.

Last edited by J Kennedy; 03-30-2017 at 07:33 PM.
J Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:19 AM   #26
Tsjanith

Hey guys. Chaos struck and I haven't had the most convenient access to my comp for the last week. I was forced to record at a friend's place with his equipment. Turned out pretty well, but I'm back now and ready to spend some time learning how to record in the comfort of my own home!

Solger, here is a .RPP file of an empty project with ASIO setup for input and output.

Insub, I have skimmed through those chapters but I couldn't find anything that pertained to the particular issue I am having. I could have quite possible missed something important, but I'm sure you could understand reading through walls of text only to discover nothing new or anything that could help is a bit exasperating =/

I could very well not be providing some piece of pertinent information, but again, I am relatively new at this.

Thanks again for all you guy's interest in helping me. I do genuinely very much appreciate it
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Trial.rpp (1.8 KB, 230 views)
Old 04-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #27
insub

The attached project file only shows me the Master track setup (which is fine) and the Project Settings (also fine). Your ASIO setup and Output Monitoring FX reside on your local machine and do not save into the RPP file.

When you get a chance to try out prior suggestions, please, respond to each question in detail and I will attempt to help you out when/if I have time.

Best of luck!
Old 04-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #28
Tsjanith

Aside from reading walls of text consisting of information I already knew and/or has no context with my current issue, I have tried everything suggested.

As someone said earlier, this shouldn't be such a hard issue to fix...but its tenacity has proven...tenacious.