Old 11-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default I have a question about EQing

First, I have a volume control on my monitor speakers. What volume level should I have it at while mixing in order to know that I am achieving proper volume levels of my mix?

Next, I have the following:

MASTER TRACK
Track 1: Music
Track 2: Vocal BUSS
Tracks 3, 4 & 5 are vocal tracks that are all sent to track 2 which has almost all of the FX so that each vocal track can stay dry

Track 5: Slap Delay for all vocal tracks. Track 2 is sent to track 5

Do I need to send track 5 anywhere?

At the moment I have ReaEQ on the MASTER TRACK, Track 1 & track 2

What I do is EQ the music before I do anything. Since the EQ on the MASTER track will no doubt affect the end result, when EQing track one, do I temporarily disable the EQ on the MASTER track, then once I'm done EQ the MASTER track to fit what I'm looking for. BUT, if I do that, then all my efforts on each track will be for nothing!

Can someone please explain the order in which EQing should take place in a situation like this including saying if an EQ is not required on any of these tracks?

Last edited by sjs94704; 11-27-2017 at 03:42 PM.
sjs94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
foxAsteria

If you mix into any fx on the master bus, you will find it very difficult to change the master fx later, so it's best to leave it to the very end if you don't know exactly what you want from that setup and are willing to leave it untouched.

Normal mixing volume is around conversation level or a bit higher. Raise it to where it starts to get uncomfortable and then back it off some. Lower volumes=longer sessions and less ear fatigue, but if you mix too quiet it's easy to start turning things up too much.

Tracks get sent to the master/parent folder by default. No need to send sends anywhere, but generally make sure those fx 100% wet, so they mix with the dry sending track based on send level and you don't double up on the dry signal.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
sjs94704

Default So, if I'm understanding you ....

I do not put the EQ on the master track until I am done with the rest of the project.

Did I hear you correctly?
Old 11-27-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
foxAsteria

If you know you're not going to touch it ever again, you can put it on early. But if you're not sure, wait, because every mix decision you make will be based on that effect being there and if you change it later, all your mixing decisions will be negated.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
What volume level should I have it at while mixing in order to know that I am achieving proper volume levels of my mix?
^ "Leven" .. at least eleven! = no-really if you want to level match what's itb- to what your amps and speakers output> you need to measure it with a device-a db meter of some kind-- spl meter w/e -- amplifiers are different-- some have just a few steps--say volume upto 10-- some go like 50--60 --70 levels of volume w/e..it's the actual sound pressures that need measuring for level match accuracy.

Over 90db is getting un-comfortable for some--especially if that is via headphones-- via headphones is more direct--more able to damage ears at over 90db for long periods..
Do a few tests of your own- 2 in fact will help you -- a 'frequency sweep test' (to see which 1 paticular frequency is your personal "nemesis",or pain frequency) -- 2. a decibel test-- your 'personal threshold of pain' can be tested with different levels of playback-- you will instinctively know,when something is just far too loud,or just right-- a bit like goldirocks and the 3 sonic bears

Eq can be anywhere-anytime-- some people like to have a master bus which includes eq,compressor,gate-maybe expander.. trim.--- this can be usefull to actually "mix into"--- because you will find,as you do a mix without that--when you come to put it on @ the end of a fader mix-- you will probably need to then rea-balance all your faders once the master bus effects have been fully engaged... that final 'eq+compression' will alter the faders mix if pushed severely,and may need altering of faders after to compensate.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote