Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-15-2017, 06:31 PM   #1
danbb
Human being with feelings

Default Q: How do you bus panned tracks to the centre?

I have 4x Rhythm Guitar tracks.
2x panned hard left and hard right (100%)
2x panned 50% left and 50% right

They are EQ'd the way I want them, but I want to thicken them up in the low end. I don't like the sound of low end panned so hard to the sides, so I want to know how to create a send from each track to one central bus track which will ignore the pan and keep only the low elements of those 4x tracks unpanned in the centre.
danbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

I would probably just drop a "bass management" plug on the guitar bus and go. I usually use Otium BassLane, but I think there's a JS that does it, too.

Otherwise, probably just send them all to your "bass bus" track like normal, insert whatever plug you're going to put there, and use the pin connectors to combine channels.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:48 PM   #3
lachrimae

Probably the simplest method would be to put all of your gtr tracks in a folder, and then use something like Sleepy Time's StereoChannel Center x-over to mono-ize the low frequencies.
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2014...eepy-time-dsp/

There are probably multiple different VST's (and JS) out there that can achieve that...

Alternatively you could get all fancy with a frequency splitter that sends the lows to channels 3/4, and then route that to a bus track, but I'd just stick with a tool that's made for the job.
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #4
Strange Ways

Put your guitars under a folder track. Insert JS Stereo Enhancer on that folder track. Select your crossover frequency, and set the Width Low percentage to zero. This will monoize all frequencies beneath your crossover setting.
Strange Ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

Course every track has a Width slider. Click the I/O button on your "bass bus" track and set Width to 0. I had been thinking you'd want to collapse things before the EQ, but since it's a linear process, it shouldn't really make a difference.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:27 PM   #6
emid

Mid side eq: basses in the mid I would try.
emid is offline   Reply With Quote