Old 09-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #1
JuniusRecCo
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Crashing and Rebooting

This behavior has been plaguing me for a while, and I've not been able to find a solution. It happens in a small minority of projects, so I've always been able to work around it, but I'd love a real fix. I have infuriatingly little information.

** BEHAVIOR **

Upon loading a project, within minutes of working in it (playing back, making edits), REAPER will suddenly quit and my machine will reboot. No BSOD, no error message, no event in the Event Viewer that I can find.

EDIT: I've been able to successfully work in the offending project for several minutes now after opening it in Recovery Mode (FX offline). I may try to disable FXs systematically to see if I can track down the culprit.

Note: others working on the same project on different systems (we pass back and forth often) are not reporting this behavior.

** SYSTEM **

REAPER v6.13
Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.40GHz
32GB RAM
Gigabyte Z270X-Gaming Motherboard
Windows 10 Pro v1909 OS Build 18363.1016
UA Audio Apollo 8p, 16 and Twin (daisy chained via Thunderbolt)
UA Apollo software v9.12.2 07-29-2020 build 67111

A copy of the project can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DpT...ew?usp=sharing

The project audio (712MB) is here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Ty?usp=sharing

If I can provide any other information, please let me know!

Last edited by JuniusRecCo; 09-18-2020 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Updating information
JuniusRecCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:50 AM   #2
JuniusRecCo

Not really an update: I have more projects exhibiting this behavior. It's a crapshoot. One in particular I was working on yesterday crashed upon the first second or two of playback. Then seemed fine after reboot--until I tried to render, when it crashed again. After the second forced reboot, it opened, played and rendered fine.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
Telpus

i had similar problems and fixed them by updating graphic drivers - i have same cpu as you - and i found intel 530 drivers have been updated so try getting them

just go into device manager and right click graphics adapter and update drivers while connected to the web

its worth a shot
Telpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #4
JuniusRecCo

Thanks for the suggestion, Telpus. I found that Device Manager didn't report any update available, but the Intel Driver & Support Assistant did.

I've updated the graphics driver and anything I could find that needs updating, including all recent Windows 10 updates and the UA Apollo software. I'm still experiencing seemingly random crashes. Just now, a crash and reboot during rendering again.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:39 PM   #5
JuniusRecCo

Today's been one for the books. Seven crashes. Thinking a bit, I wondered if it's not the UA Apollo drivers that are driving me mad. When rendering (which has been the time today of most crashes), I switched to "dummy audio" as my audio device in REAPER. So far, so good, but it's so inconsistent, it's hard to tell if I've isolated the problem, or am just getting lucky.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #6
JuniusRecCo

UPDATE: This morning my system crashed and forced a reboot without an error message or log in Event Viewer (as is now normal)--but without REAPER running, just Google Chrome. After reboot, I found in Windows update that there was a new pending Intel display driver update (26.20.100.7262), so I'm updating that now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 09-30-2020, 09:17 AM   #7
JuniusRecCo

UPDATE: I took the painful step of reinstalling Windows and all other software. The behavior persists.

The event viewer is empty except for what I already know: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
Old 10-12-2020, 03:07 PM   #8
JuniusRecCo

UPDATE: I took the even more painful step of building a new system. I couldn't track down what might be causing the crashes, so replaced everything. And so far: no crashes!