Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 04-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
paccer
Human being with feelings

Default Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO) with REAPER

Hi friends,

sorry for maybe stupid question. I am quite a newbie to REAPER and trying actually to get my GPO / Kontakt player VST-Orchestra started in REAPER. I have problems to properly set the MIDI tracks to the 8 channels of the Kontakt player respectively the GPO. Do I have to set up a new Kontakt VST instrument for every channel or is there a way to route several channels to one Kontakt player...

Not sure if I use the right words to describe my problem, maybe you can help. Feel free to ask for more information and thanks in advance for your help!

Yours

Ray Windsor
paccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
stratman

Yes, you can route several channels to one instance of the Kontakt player.

I've been through this exercise. The threads at the links below might help.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...&highlight=gpo

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=23770

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #3
DarkStar

And this one:

Configuring Multi-Output VSTis:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=27868
Old 04-26-2009, 12:26 AM   #4
DarkStar

Oh and ...
Hello paccer and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you purchase Nicholas' excellent User Guide and ReaMix docs too. Worth their weight in gold.

User Guide:.. http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=6107
ReaMix:....... http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=21309
Purchase:.... http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1374784
Distribution:. http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=27999

Nicholas has also written "Home Recording for Beginners", available at all good book shops:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=31774

If you can, get hold of a copy of the Computer Music Beginner's Guide Special #32 - it's full of tutorials for beginners, using Reaper.

This site will ship it internationally: http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk
Old 04-26-2009, 02:15 AM   #5
paccer

Wow, what a welcome! Thanks friends! Seems like I'm finally coming home ;-)

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out and stop posting stupid questions in the future ;-)

Have a fun weekend!

Yours
Ray
Old 04-26-2009, 02:25 AM   #6
stratman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paccer View Post
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out and stop posting stupid questions in the future ;-)
I don't think it's a stupid question. It took me ages to work out how to do it, plus I got some help from the forum.

Post again if you need any more help.

Pete
Old 04-26-2009, 02:42 AM   #7
paccer

Hi mate,

seems to work now with several channels in one Kontakt Player,,, cool. Although I haven't finally understood how the Audio routing is working (and why!). The three audio output tracks each carry the full audio of all Midi tracks. Is there a way to separate them to individual audio tracks to mix them down individually??

Another thing. Is there a kind of "MIDI Reset" buttton? Haven't found any and after recording, my MIDI signal keep up and not being cut to zero, until I start a new playback..

Ray
Old 04-26-2009, 06:01 AM   #8
stratman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paccer View Post
Hi mate,

seems to work now with several channels in one Kontakt Player,,, cool. Although I haven't finally understood how the Audio routing is working (and why!). The three audio output tracks each carry the full audio of all Midi tracks. Is there a way to separate them to individual audio tracks to mix them down individually??

Another thing. Is there a kind of "MIDI Reset" buttton? Haven't found any and after recording, my MIDI signal keep up and not being cut to zero, until I start a new playback..

Ray
Yes you can separate them into individual audio tracks.

It might take me a while to do it, but I'll try to post some more info on the routing as soon as I can, including how to set up the Kontakt Player 2 for multiple stereo outs. I've been meaning to write it all down for some time, so I don't forget.

I don't know the answer to the MIDI reset question. Maybe someone else can help with this one.

Pete

Last edited by stratman; 04-26-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:04 AM   #9
merdave

stratman,

I would be very interested in what you would post as I recently got Garriton JABB and I'm still in the process of setting it up properly. A good tutorial for Kontakt Player 2 in REAPER is needed.
merdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
stratman

Below is a link to a pdf containing some notes I've written on using GPO Kontakt Player 2 as a multi in Reaper. But the notes are probably relevant to any multi in Kontakt Player 2 (KP2) and Kontakt 2 (K2).

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/150386/...-In-Reaper.pdf

I needed to write it down, otherwise I know I'll forget in a few months (it must be my age) . It might be of use to someone else out there.

Let me know if you spot any errors or if you know of a better way.

There are a lot of pages, but it's mostly pictures. Also, it's much easier to do in practice that in looks when it's written down.

edit: I've already spotted a typo on the first page. Sod it, I'm not going to change it yet.

edit (30th Jan 2010) the third part of the pdf above describes Feedback Routing. I'm no longer sure that this is a good approach (see links below). Instead of feedback routing, I now use separate tracks for the Midi and the Audio. Once the Multi has been created, the routing can easily be built from the items listed under Options in the Fx window. It results in double the tracks but, to make things look tidy, tracks you don't want to see can be hidden.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...edback+routing
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=50934

edit (28th Feb 2010). It's easier the build the routing than explained in the pdf note. Instead to build the outputs and midi inputs, in the Reaper Fx options click on "Build multichannel routing..." then "Build 16 channels of MIDI ..."

Pete

Last edited by stratman; 02-28-2010 at 02:41 AM. Reason: updates
Old 04-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
merdave

Thanks, stratman!

That's a good tutorial! A "connect-the-dots" routing guide even I can understand. Only one small comment: on p. 17 shouldn't the folder have an "end the track" folder set, either on track 12 or on a new track 13?

Is there a way to send you a few dollars thru PayPal as a thank you?

Here's another question that I probably should be asking on the Garriton forum but does anyone know if individual instruments (or groups of instruments) in a kit can be routed out to tracks? For example, can I route out the bass drum and the snare stir from the JABB Brush Drum Kit onto separate tracks like in your tutorial?
Old 04-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
stratman

merdave @post #11

You can do this easily in Kontakt 2 because you can see the samples in the mapping editor and set them to different Groups. Then assign the Groups to different outputs.

Unlike Kontakt, the Kontakt Player seems to be much more limited in this respect and the above option doesn't seem to be available. However, I can think of a cheat way of doing this with the Kontakt Player 2. Maybe there's a better method. I don't know.

Load up KP2 as a multi.

Now load multiple instances of the drum kit. I don't have a drum kit in GPO, so I tried it with Orchestral percussion.

Set up each instance with a different output and midi channel (see picture below).

Now insert a midi item in the Reaper track hosting KP2.

Program in the part, but where you want the drums to appear on different outputs, in the Note Properties use different midi channels.

If using multiple instances uses too much memory, you could always play the track through then do a purge in KP2, which will remove the unused samples in each instance.

Pete

Last edited by stratman; 04-26-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #13
merdave

Got it working just fine. But I don't understand why feedback needs to be allowed when the tracks are not feeding anything back to the Kontakt folder? But it certainly does not work unless feedback is allowed. Is this a bug? Or is it because the "Master/Parent send" is checked in each track?

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help!

Last edited by merdave; 04-27-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #14
stratman

Quote:
Originally Posted by merdave View Post
...I don't understand why feedback needs to be allowed when the tracks are not feeding anything back to the Kontakt folder? But it certainly does not work unless feedback is allowed. Is this a bug? Or is it because the "Master/Parent send" is checked in each track?
merdave, are you referring to your question at post #11 and my response in post #12? For that particular case I don't have to enable feedback, if I set up the multi in a folder where the first track in the folder hosts the VSTi (see picture below).

If I don't put everything in a folder, for some reason, I get glitches on my computer, which is something I don't understand.

Pete

Last edited by stratman; 04-28-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #15
merdave

Hi, stratman.

I had another option in JABB that I used instead. The Brush Drum Kit was also already presented in parts: bass drum, toms, snare, cymbals and hihat. So I was able to stick close to your tutorial. I also added a bass and side-chained it to the bass drum with ReaComp.

What I don't understand is this: since the only thing happening is audio being fed from the Kontakt track to the other tracks and no audio or MIDI is being returned to the Kontakt track, why the need for feedback? But it doesn't work for me without feedback enabled, so I'm puzzled. What am I overlooking?

Again, thanks for your help. I looked all over the net and couldn't find a link for the Kontakt 2 Player user manual or other info. like you put in this Reaper tutorial.

PS Yes, I put everything in a folder like your post above but it doesn't work for me without feedback enabled (in Reaper 3beta7).

BTW, 3beta7 is working great so far; 3beta6 was giving me some blue screens so I'm really happy to see Reaper stabilized again!

Last edited by merdave; 04-28-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #16
paccer

Hm... meanwhile I am able to have the individual sections of the orchestra on individual tracks, which is gfine, but still can't mix them via the main Reaper sliders in the mixer. I only get audio output on the first channel (the one hosting the VSTi) or on the first 2 or 3.... Dunno why. It's a little inconvenient to mix the whole orchestra with the volume sliders within the Kontakt player while you could easily do it on the main mixer of reaper. Maybe I still do something wrong...
Old 05-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #17
DarkStar

There are 3 steps:

-- generate the multiple audio tracks in Reaper (section 2.1 in stratman's guide)
-- create the mixer channels in KP2 (section 1.3)
-- route the KP mixer channels to the KP2 outputs (section 1.4.

The audio routing is:
KP2 instrument
>> KP2 Mixer channel
>> KP2 output
>> Reaper VSTi track channel
>> (Sent to) separate Reaper track

------------
Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?
  • In XP, right-click the project file, select Send To ... compressed (Zipped) folder).
  • when you reply, scroll down a bit, open the "Additional Options" section if needed by clicking the double downwards arrows,
  • click on [Manage Attachments], browse to your ZIP file, select and Upload it.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:42 AM   #18
stratman

Yes, I agree with DarkStar.

If you post your file we could have a look at it.

As a matter of interest, what does your routing matrix look like? For me, it looks like the picture below for the example I give in my pdf at post #10.

I’d be happy to PM you an example Reaper file or track template, but I’m not sure how it would translate at your end. I’m a bit worried about it crashing your system.

Pete
Old 05-02-2009, 07:12 AM   #19
paccer

I am not really familiar with the routing matrix and what it is trying to say to me ;-) That's what it looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper.jpg (77.2 KB, 505 views)
Old 05-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #20
stratman

When you loaded it did you use 'Insert virtual instrument on new track' as shown in the picture below?

In your picture (I've copied an extract below), in the first column, I wouldn't expect to see the box filled in against the track containing Kontakt player

For three tracks I would have the following 'io' settings in the track containing the Kontakt Player (see picture below). Are your settings exactly the same as this?

Note that there isn't a tick in the Master/Parent Send box and, I'm not sure if this is significant but, my Sends are set to Pre Fader

Then my routing matrix looks like the picture below

I see you've only got three tracks set up. Is that the total number of instruments you want to use?

Pete

Last edited by stratman; 05-02-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #21
paccer

Definitely not! The three instruments are just for testing use...

Can you explain me the function of the "Track Channels" box... in my layout no matter what I adjust in the individual audio dropdown menu "1/2, 3/4, 5/6" I don't see anything changing...

Damn, seems as I am too dump for this!

By the way, I very much appreciate your help Stratman!

Keep on trying!

Yours
Ray

Last edited by paccer; 05-03-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #22
stratman

Ray, I've emailed you, so you can go back and edit your post to delete your email address.

Pete
Old 09-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #23
Synthman

Default I need help with GPO

I've read your very detailed posts regarding setting up multi-tracks with one instance of GPO but I just don't get it. Does anyone have a template specifically for GPO? Or an extremely simple (newbie) procedure. Thanks!
Synthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #24
stratman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthman View Post
I've read your very detailed posts regarding setting up multi-tracks with one instance of GPO but I just don't get it. Does anyone have a template specifically for GPO? Or an extremely simple (newbie) procedure. Thanks!
What version of GPO are you using? I'm using Version 3.0. I happy to post a template but, unless you've got the same version as me, my template won't work.

Also, the instructions are for a version that uses the Kontakt 2 Player. GPO version 4 uses a different engine, so the KP2 instructions won't apply.

Pete
Old 09-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #25
Synthman

Thanks for the reply! I'm not at home right now but I think it is 3. I got it about a year or so ago.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #26
stratman

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I'm not at home right now but I think it is 3. I got it about a year or so ago.
Below is a link to a Reaper file that should give the set up for a 10 output multi for GPO Version 3.0.

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/215577/...10-Example.RPP

I've posted the Reaper file to make sure that you've got the correct Project Settings. Bear in mind that feedback is enabled in the Project settings to get it to work, so use it with caution.

You can save the track template yourself if it works.

I selected the GPO instruments randomly. To change the instrument, click on the 'fx' button on track 2, then click on the down arrows (see example in the picture below). This method should avoid messing up the midi channel settings.

I've no idea whether this will work on your computer. Use at you own risk and let me know how you get on.

Pete

Last edited by stratman; 09-14-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #27
Synthman

Hi Pete,

I'm going to check it out and see if it works. I'll let you know.
Thanks Again,
Steve
Old 09-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #28
Synthman

Pete,
I just can't seem to get it. I saw a post by Rex who has a template similar to what I'm able to setup but I can't get the midi to work on more then one channel. Frustrating!!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #29
stratman

Quote:
Pete,
I just can't seem to get it. I saw a post by Rex who has a template similar to what I'm able to setup but I can't get the midi to work on more then one channel. Frustrating!!
What happened when you tried to run my Reaper file from post 26?

What version of GPO are you using?

edit: I downloaded a template from Rex from the link below. Is this the one you used?
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=60
It didn't load GPO for me so I think I must have a different version. Also, looking at the Reaper project, there seem to be almost twice the number of tracks than are really needed. Maybe this was done to avoid enabling feedback or something. It's not the way I do it.

Pete

Last edited by stratman; 09-17-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #30
Synthman

I don't have experience with the Kontakt player 2.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #31
stratman

Did you try downloading and opening my Reaper file from post #26?

Pete
Old 09-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #32
Synthman

Yes I did. I can't get the midi to work on all of the tracks. I guess I really just don't know what I'm doing.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #33
stratman

So did it load up GPO OK?

Also, when you play the file you should get the instruments sounding on track 3, then track 4 , then track 5 etc. Did this happen when you played it?

Pete
Old 09-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #34
Synthman

GPO loaded ok. How do I load individual instruments?
Old 09-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #35
stratman

When you open the Reaper file, GPO should load up with some instruments that I'd set up.

When you play the file you should hear what the mp3 plays in the link below.

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/216813/...10-Example.mp3

Do you hear this when you play the Reaper file?

Pete
Old 09-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #36
Synthman

Which file do I need to load? Sorry for being such a pain.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #37
stratman

The Reaper file at the link below, which is from my post 26.

https://stash.reaper.fm/oldsb/215577/...10-Example.RPP

Does this file work?

I'll send you a Private Message, with my email address.

Email me, so we can sort this out off-line.

But it's midnight here, so I'll probably have to get back to you tomorrow.

Pete
Old 09-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #38
Synthman

Thats fine pete. I forget that your thousands of miles away from me. After all this help I'd buy you a beer but...

I'll try this file and let you know. THANKS!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:18 AM   #39
TimTyler

Default Garritan Aria Player Crashing Reaper 3.12

I have an existing project with audio tracks already recorded. When I try to add Garritan Personal Orchestra and the new Aria player, it crashes Reaper before the VSTi gets loaded. Reaper just hangs and Windows Vista tells me Reaper has stopped working.

If I load the Garritan Aria VSTi in a new project, I don't have the problem and it works fine. I'll certainly figure a work-around for my existing project, but wanted to post to see if anyone else has this trouble.

Tim
TimTyler is offline   Reply With Quote