Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 09-24-2018, 08:40 AM   #81
SmajjL
Human being with feelings

Aaaaand I got a freeze never seen before, had to force power off, back to Mint.. and if I change distro this week, please kick my ass, thanks..

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:00 PM   #82
Snap

We will, No worries. LOL.

Those are the common hurdles of going bleeding edge for production (Manjaro, Arch , Debian Sid...) In other hand stable distros (Debian(-based), *buntus LTS, etc...) are great shortly after released, but as time goes by, as much as 2 or 3 years, they use to fall way behind and the experience can become quite frustrating/annoying.

IMHO, the nicest solution is going for more frequent release cycles, like the latest *buntus, needing frequent full reinstalls, which can be really annoying too. Or just going with a rolling distro, but not bleeding edge (Void Linux, PCLinuxOS...) The problem is that at least those two I've mentioned, besides being really stable and reasonably up to date, lack a lot of audio packages in their repos. For a dedicated DAW system a whole lot of stuff might be needed to be compiled from source... Hard work!

Yes, there's not an obvious best solution for every one. One should study the options and choose the one that suits better for his particular needs.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:22 AM   #83
SmajjL

Thanks

*Confessions* It was on a Manjaro KDE beta also and the last thing I did was to install/"try some CPU thing so I should be able to see the speed, never got that far and it did not freeze straight up either, just the last thing I recall.

Yeah the Mint MATE vs Ubuntu MATE would be to chose Ubuntu for more frequent release thingies, good thing I like the look/feel of Ubuntu MATE also.
I read that Linus himself is taking a break though.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #84
s wave

Default There is a reason Linus uses Fedora...

Manjaro ... I like it but I had problems with installer sometimes. It is stated that Linus Thorvald uses Fedora Workstation on power pc. I think fedora is solid and concise and works pretty flawless. Small footprint small core. The 'Spin' editions work well... Fedora Jam is real nice Audio set-up out of the box so I was using it because it had built in Logical Volume Manager for expanding when your HD run out of space but LVM2 has finally come to Linux MINT out of the box. So am happy using both Fedora and Mint. Fedora community is active and very helpful too. (I do have old desktop with Win 7 will prolly use it as NAS storage with my main 2 OSs.) Would love to have a SATA switch for switching Fedora and Mint which i run on different drives as well as different PCs too.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:53 AM   #85
SmajjL

The only thing I noticed on Manjaro is that even if I select where the bootloader should go, it can revert to the default by itself, usually where Windows lives and I don't want that.
So keep an eye on that.

I will try Fedora on Monday because I don't wanna get my ass kicked.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:30 AM   #86
SmajjL

And over at KVR Bitwig forum, someone is trying to make Bitwig into a Flatpak..
If that would work out, then I would have 0 "issues" with Manjaro and I like the rooling release.
Fedora seems to have all flavours also, off to give it a try/look.
Ohh, and a new Manjaro beta..
*"I need help"* ...

In a cockosnuttshell, I would say Linux is ready for music, hope more music gear and software devs will think its worth the dev time, so cool to see a company like U-he actually pushing for it with their dev-time. Bitwig.. I will support them also by buying it! (I surrender!) such a nice environment/workflow for a SmajjL, wish Bitwig and REAPER would get married or something.
Pre & Post Thanks to Linux dev supporters!

Last edited by SmajjL; 10-02-2018 at 02:58 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #87
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
Or just going with a rolling distro, but not bleeding edge (Void Linux, PCLinuxOS...) The problem is that at least those two I've mentioned, besides being really stable and reasonably up to date, lack a lot of audio packages in their repos. For a dedicated DAW system a whole lot of stuff might be needed to be compiled from source... Hard work!
Many apps not in the pclinuxos repos can be installed by using
the alien command to convert a .deb file to a .rpm version.
Or the other way around.
If some 'foreign' lib or dependancy is needed, and it turns out
to 'break' the converted package in Synaptics view, that package
can be hidden from synaptic's scrutiny like this:

rpm -e --justdb bitwig-studio

rpm -e --justdb yoshimi

pclinuxos forum members can ask for apps to be packaged
and added to their repos, in a subforum topic for that purpose,
stating the reason for the desired inclusion,
with a url to the source code. Members can also add a +1
to other peoples requests. Reminds me I need to do that.
Cheers

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 10-02-2018 at 03:39 PM. Reason: speld rong
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:05 AM   #88
SmajjL

Penguins! Looks to me I am gonna make it! (Linux for music) and other stuffs that is obviously no problem for Linux and looking back, daaaaym what a ride! (stubborn?)
But, this DE'thing of choices is still for me understand more and pick one for my own needs, that is, Ubuntu/Debian/Arch maby others?
Thing is, this is little Fun to me (incl the learning) and I am obviously not tired yet and part of me can relax now atleast.

Thx people!

Ah-oh, Firefox on Mint MATE for some reason breaks, no connection efter a while for some reason.
Ubuntu MATE then..
*sigh*

Last edited by SmajjL; 10-06-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #89
s wave

Default DE... a personal thing... personal decision. Human bean w/sprouts

Some confusion might arise from definition when talking of Desktop Environments. So, to clear up... A "DE" desktop environment or 'desktop' is a default interface (GUI) provided by virtually all modern operating systems, including Windows, Linux, Mac and more. This type of interface was developed to replace the command-line interface.
KDE is very close to Cinnamon; using a little different visual effect/under-the-hood toolkits (qt/gtk). Most OS that use one; can usually replaced by the other.
It seems some DESKTOP ENVIRONMENTS are more critically tied to the OS or Kernel or other things.
But - now it is very easy to put DE on a OS distribution that never had that DE. Such as Fedora with CINNAMON DE.
My main concern is how stable and powerful and intuitive the DE is for my hardware, my OS, my sound card, my interface and on and on. Thats is why sometimes it is difficult to choose - so many variables. What works great for me might not work great for you. I am longtime AMD fanboy cuz i cud switch out CPUS RAM etc. So I am very familiar and comfortable with Cinnamon and Mint OS. (there are so many forks or branch offs in GNOME alone. I believe KDE is Gnome 2 fork, Cinnamon lil later like Gnome 2 - 3. Gee I even hate even shutting down a PC... {WIN shellshock!} I want a system I can pull the power plug or just hit the PSU off switch. And when I reboot it goes right back to where I pulled the plug. Plus I do not have to worry about power outages or cat jumping on the keyboard. I even hate dual booting different OSs in bios. I want to hit a sata switch and either have Windows OSX or any LINUX OS in an instant on separate hard drives. And I want to take any hard drive and plug it into ANY of my Computers (Old bios PC, AM3+ PC or new UEFI PC or whatever)... and when I hit power button I get Mint, Fedora or Win with absolute confidence.
Great Hunting... Back a few years when I used old linux audio system, they always lacked a major component IMO. Now there is nothing lacking in Linux Audio. I have had little complaints about ARDOUR DAW - hard part of my learning was small amount usable info on net. NOW when I compare it to REAPER. What a homerun! 64 bit computations on a Lead Vocal (the definition and quality). I can't wait to finish my last Ardour project and base the next song in Reaper. Ardour will always have a place in my heart: a free DAW that can make a PRO SONG. I can see with Reaper I could probably do it 10 times quicker and easily. Heck the old 3M digital back in 1980 cost over a million dollars. (think of Chris Cross album 'Sailing') or 1975ish Gordon Lightfoots 'Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald'. Reaper Is far more Powerful than what they used to record any of those early digital musics. AND you can run it on a free thrown away PC. Amazing. I say when you are considering what DE just go for it! If you like KDE go for it... If you want Fedora OS port it... I live by the motto 'if money wasn't an issue what would i do...' I bless COCKOS for bridging the gap for all POOR ASPIRING ARTISTS in the world. They have given them (and me) a chance. If we fail its not because of the DAW. If we fail so what what a beautiful ride (huh smajjl) tc.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:31 AM   #90
SmajjL

Hey s wave! Think I.. have "levitated" away from the Desktop Enviroment topic then for sure sort of an combination and that is why I mentioned before, "hijacked the thread" and I am more (now) into what sort of Distrobution I would need that would work out without it braking or me braking it and the available software/repo of ways getting stuff comfortably.

If going for KDE/Plasma, the preinstalled and available software is little different from GTK2/3 and the software might or might not be ready or be my cup of coffee or, break.
The GTK stuff have been around for a long time and most likely won't break, but KDE is getting there and I must trial to make sure.
I predict.. I will land on Manjaro KDE.. but how reliable is that me saying that, atm, we will see.
Maby Kubuntu then, Neon?.. see.. I am an unstable pre-SmajjL

I have not even got to the part of trying native Linux audio stuff, not even Ardour or the what ever samplers that exist or other stuff I could use with ->REAPER, looking forward to that hoping for some.. wooot!
And yeah, also, what ever Distrowatch have as nr1..2..3..4.. does not make me decide, it helps though to read what people say and the why's but I will chose what ever I feel most comphy with of course.

Bitwig is also about to be added to my EDM life though and I will never leave REAPER! (never say never) yes watch me, nevah!!

You seem to have been through alot with Linux already and more experienced than me, thanks for correcting me also.
Yeah and the ride is not finished yet! I insist!

Last edited by SmajjL; 10-07-2018 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #91
s wave

Default DE What HARDARE do you have...

Like I said... I am so comfortable with AMD hardware. Just because I know it so well... Like the last PC I built ran a little 'buggy'. All it was; was a driver issue with a specific monitor. New driver and never failed since. I just troubleshot the sys log. --- You having a baby face interface... that is key IMO. I am using Focusrite; even though it is considered lower end or prosumer I have no issues what so ever. I would take a long study of the Digital programs used with the ADC and DAC of the Baby Face. Find out exactly what chips are used inside the Baby Face. For me it was Texas Instruments and Cirrus Logic... (not the ones used in the Clarett PREs - I wish) Look up your preamp/interface chips. I urge everyone to do this. It can save months or more of headaches. Next find out the drivers and/or data crunching programs that fit your INTERFACE like a glove. EMPHASIS ADDED lol. From there you will know what will be your dream set up. Finally kinda look at how that information is exchanged between your INTERFACE to your OS to DE. (I built my set up in my head... took a few months. But with that knowledge I knew it would work and it has exceeded my expectations.) I use CINN but KDE would have worked just as well. Like knowing you gain staging (amplification chain) and signal chain (from guitar or mic to recorded audio clip) DO THE SAME WITH YOUR HARDWARE CHAIN. It is not hard... it is actually rewarding and fun. Your confidence will skyrocket. Your creativity will soar... etc. It is what is most important. and is the most important thing in recording a hit record? A vocalist has to fully COMMIT. Same with a musician or anything COMMIT. Fail Hard and COMMIT again. Commit to saying I want to know what is going on with my hardware... you need not know all the components.., Start with say just the Analog to Digital Converter!! inside the Baby Face. Look it up and who makes it? Burr Brown, TI whoever. WOOT. (fun investigative work) then study how that chip will feed information into REAPER. VOILA. repeat lol. The DE type will come into play at about this point. Lightbulb moments will abound ya. Like what if i just take '.aiff' sound sample and change the text to '.wav' haha not on my daily driver PC - use an old burner PC. I am amazed at how small and concise the NATIVE REAPER FOOTPRINT is. Some people did some amazing work here. Like 'core fedora' is 200MB wow. Reaper has more flexibilty than any other DAW I have ever saw. When I put wavosaur and some other plugins into reaper they worked! If they don't work I am sure you can get them to work with not much trouble. GOOD work smajjl and all. til later.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #92
s wave

Default Whats your favorite THEME?

While we are on the basic topic of DE, what are your favorite DE THEMES??
Here are a few of my favorites... modern, different, sleek, check em out:

ARC DARK
CARTICA
KHALI
Wii BLACK
SOOTHE
KUPO

Choosing the right theme helps me with work flow... tc
Old 10-08-2018, 11:21 AM   #93
Lokasenna

Every DE is going to have different themes that work well. I'm using Numix on XFCE and it's pretty nice - just a basic, dark, Windowsy skin.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #94
SmajjL

Default :p

I am on Intel and 7700K and been on Intel for a long time now, but next might.. be AMD actually since my needs is ->(here)<- and both are fast enough today, is my "reasoning" but who knows what both are up to looking forward but that said, why should I upgrade atm..
They say the GHz of the CPU matters for DAWs though.

I am a playback only dude, but I have been thinking about maby get a X0xb0x or something sometimes, but VST software sound so good now, but other then that I am not using the baby to record so I might be happy with Focusrite also, I don't know if I would able to hear or feel a difference between the two for, p l a y b a c k.
I like that it is a table thing and that you can probably connect it to what ever computer you should upgrade to in the future without it beeing a brick, because it is not PCI or PCI-E or what ever..

My only issue now though is myself and my g'damn personality or what, to call it.. *slap!* about this flavour business and stuff.
And now.. you added 5 more I did not know about for me to check out, and Lokasenna One more.
I will Google Picture look up all of these, I have nothing new atm myself, thx.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #95
s wave

Default More DE choices...OS: MX Linux should be around for a long...

Glad you joined in Loka and James! nice ideas.
smajjl.. 7700k nice no need to really upgrade that is fast Hz. I got bottom rung 8320e on a $100+ pc build. I can run tons (I mean tons) or programs at same time 8 core (i even down clocked it). But I have tweaked for Real Time Recording latency... I am more one man band compilation guy for the moment. Recording one track - mono tracks - all I need right now. Heck Adeles latest songs have at least 32 track takes compiled from what I here in it. And Christina Aguilera sound like her songs are around a 100 track mixture. If you want to hear and play to lay down a track in real time ... thats when you really want low latency. [Hearing your Song and Playing with it WITH NO DELAY] but thats not me at the moment. I have 100 tracks half way through a Dance Song. I want to run parallel Kick drums etc for quick and ez song adjustments on the fly. Intel seems a lil better with "VST" type window plugins nice.
Lokasenna - love your pick too XFCE is faaassst and lightweight and highly customizable. Numix: perfect fit... and I like the darksy side with splash of color for theme/gui! did you modify your 'PLANK' 'here docky docky'...at all? {you just remided me of what i want installed on DE... do you remember that 3-D cube window for linux,,,, WOW! you just spin the 6 sided cube with your mouse... faster than window type pages,,, and way fun. getting back... Are you going to stick with numix? any workarounds needed... XFCE might be my choice for REAL TIME LOW LATENCY recording (if I don't end up compiling lol)
UH OH: James... you do not have to worry about ubuntu at all etc. MX is hottest? flavor of linux now maybe... and only released a few years ago.. "At its core, you might even consider MX Linux to be very Ubuntu-like in terms of being pre-configured to make the user experience as simple and as straightforward as possible. The difference however, *is that if Ubuntu disappeared tomorrow*, MX Linux would be largely unaffected while Linux Mint might have to retool to get away from their Ubuntu core"- (lmde Cindy or fedora is my back up right now and if a HUGE company sunk the ubuntu core kernel!!!! be a sad day for me... but i will regroup quickly. "MX Linux includes a Live USB kernel updater, remastering and cloning tool. These are useful for anyone looking to overcome a kernel issue or simply to customize their own version of MX Linux that meets their specific needs..."
Please post more on how you like Reaper on XFCE/Numix and MX linux... smooth not buggy... any issues? James and/or Lokasenna what sound card/interface are you using? thanks bless s wave.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:26 PM   #96
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Lokasenna - love your pick too XFCE is faaassst and lightweight and highly customizable. Numix: perfect fit... and I like the darksy side with splash of color for theme/gui! did you modify your 'PLANK' 'here docky docky'...at all?
I've just got one panel along the bottom, basically recreating the same Windows taskbar I've had for years. Start button, a few app shortcuts, open windows, workspace manager, tray, clock. Anything that's not on there is just a shortcut away thanks to Albert (Linux recreation of the Alfred launcher app for Mac).

Quote:
what sound card/interface are you using? thanks bless s wave.
Roland Quad-Capture here. Out of the box it works fine with Pulseaudio, though it took a bit of fiddling IIRC to get all four ins and outs to show up in Reaper.

I haven't played much with Jack/ALSA because the couple of times I tried I kept crashing Reaper. However, I don't need low-latency audio since I'm monitoring directly from my Kemper.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:10 AM   #97
SmajjL

If I look at Distrowatch and look at the list of what is their last updates for everything component/software, Manjaro does a good job there including a pre ready to go kernels and even a real-time one.
So.. is there a Debian counterpart that is just as crazy as Manjaro, and rooling and updated like this?

Manjaro KDE just went RC1.. someone better stop me soon, whoh hoh hoooh

Old 10-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #98
JamesPeters

MX Linux is Debian-based.

Manjaro has Pacman for its package manager (the thing which allows you to download software), which is command line interface. I can't abide that. MX Linux has Synaptic Package Manager and MX Package Installer by default, which aren't the most intuitive but are still far better than any CLI-based package manager.

Honestly I'm surprised any distro can be called "user-friendly" (how Manjaro is referred to on its website) these days if its package manager is CLI. I know another package manager can be added, but still, come on. Anyone who's old enough (me included) and used "regular PCs" will remember leaving behind command line stuff as of Windows 95 (with the odd exception). I barely remember any DOS commands. As for new users, they're not going to appreciate CLI stuff either since most computers these days are as GUI-oriented as possible. Realistically speaking, most users won't find some very important aspects of an Arch-based distro such as Manjaro "user friendly". If they mean "programmers, and hardcore Linux nerds will consider Manjaro to be user friendly", fair enough.

Also it seemed there was a wider variety of software repositories for Debian (MX Linux). That is unless you count the AUR with Manjaro (and they warn about possible issues when doing that).

There were a few other things I noticed about MX Linux that seemed more friendly, including the ability to make a custom ISO (for doing backup/restore).

Anyway in a video I'd seen about MX Linux versus Manjaro, someone commented this:

Quote:
...even if [Manjaro] isn't Arch, is based on it...

So if you can't handle these situations it isn't for you:

- handling the .pacnew files;
- replacing library A by library B;
- fixing a blinking cursor;
- proceeding with a manual intervention before an update;
- understanding the change of permissions on certain directories/files;
- fixing warnings like a file already exists when an update aborts/fails;
- recompiling Perl/Python modules after a major upgrade of these languages;
- fixing the missing/invalid GPG keys;
- repopulating the keyring;
- solving conflicting dependencies.
So consider what sort of user you are, and what you need in terms of "user friendliness". I'm sure I could "deal with" Manjaro as well, but I don't want to bother with the extra work.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-09-2018 at 01:57 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #99
SmajjL

I am going to try your mxLinux now!!yes sir!

Old 10-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #100
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
So consider what sort of user you are, and what you need in terms of "user friendliness". I'm sure I could "deal with" Manjaro as well, but I don't want to bother with the extra work.
Exactly how I felt about Manjaro. I had it on my machine for a week, and had gotten *most* things sorted out, but each item took WAY more time and research to get functioning for me, and in the end I went with Xubuntu.

I had EVERYTHING functioning the same night as I installed Xubuntu, and almost every app or tool I needed were easily installed without typing any cryptic commands in a terminal window, or compiling, but instead easy point and click installs using Synaptic.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #101
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Exactly how I felt about Manjaro. I had it on my machine for a week, and had gotten *most* things sorted out, but each item took WAY more time and research to get functioning for me, and in the end I went with Xubuntu.

I had EVERYTHING functioning the same night as I installed Xubuntu, and almost every app or tool I needed were easily installed without typing any cryptic commands in a terminal window, or compiling, but instead easy point and click installs using Synaptic.
I figure most people who are comfortable with Windows and OSX (and are not used to CLI), and are switching to Linux, will want some kind of Ubuntu distro. I personally wanted to avoid Canonical since I'd been considering Ubuntu variants around 2012 (that year I briefly ran Mint to give Linux a try for the second time), and I didn't exactly like what they were doing with Unity. I decided if it's feasible I'll just steer clear of Canonical. What they did isn't exactly on the level of Microsoft, and they removed those "features", but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Around that time a friend was trying Red Hat (I think). He decided to compile it all. Lol. What a nightmare. I warned him. That experience soured him on Linux for a while.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:17 PM   #102
Glennbo

Quote:
I figure most people who are comfortable with Windows and OSX (and are not used to CLI), and are switching to Linux, will want some kind of Ubuntu distro. I personally wanted to avoid Canonical since I'd been considering Ubuntu variants around 2012 (that year I briefly ran Mint to give Linux a try for the second time), and I didn't exactly like what they were doing with Unity. I decided if it's feasible I'll just steer clear of Canonical. What they did isn't exactly on the level of Microsoft, and they removed those "features", but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Around that time a friend was trying Red Hat (I think). He decided to compile it all. Lol. What a nightmare. I warned him. That experience soured him on Linux for a while.
I was fully aware of the 2012 privacy issues when I installed Xubuntu, but had used a fork called "MythBuntu" since 2015 which was a pre-configured Ubuntu with MythTV server functionality.

Shortly after setting up a MythBuntu server for whole house DVR, they retired MythBuntu and suggested Xubuntu with MythTV as a replacement, which I setup early in 2016. That system has been running 24/7 now for almost three years and the only maintenance I ever have to do is dealing with channel guide issues from Zap2It Listings.

Since I already knew my way around Xubuntu somewhat, I tried it first on my DAW, but then thought I should explore some of the other distros, so I spent a month and a half trying different distros including Arch, Manjaro xfce, and AVLinux.

Manjaro stayed on my machine the longest, but since I use my DAW as a general purpose machine too, there were just too many programs that I previously had working perfectly in Xubuntu that I might still be trying to get working today.

I programmed back in the DOS days of the 80s and early 90s, so I am not intimidated by a terminal window, BUT I much prefer to work in a graphical environment. I will navigate graphically to a folder and then right click it to open a terminal there, rather than typing 40 or so characters to CD to the same place. I rolled like that in Windows too.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:07 PM   #103
JamesPeters

Yeah during the transition from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95, it was amazing how many people at the time didn't know anything about DOS (including those who'd used Windows 3.1 for a while prior to switching to Windows 95). It's like the CLI approach just instantly died as soon as a passable GUI was available, at least for the average user. Someone would have a problem they couldn't resolve in file manager, and I'd remind them they could just do some commands in DOS...but they didn't know how to use DOS at all. I couldn't blame them. But even in Windows 95, sometimes it was very practical to use DOS to do some tasks. Half the time I helped people with their computers, I'd be using DOS to fix their issues.

So I'm not scared of CLI. I just find it annoying that in 2018 it's necessary to the degree that it is, in a lot of Linux distros. Linux has come a long way to being user-friendly, but there are still some "barriers" for the average user to overcome if they want to be able to manage their system. I have to say though, if the average person weren't so lazy about learning their system (whatever OS), to the point they can't even be bothered to learn where they save their files (from Word or whatever..."all I do is open Word, finish typing and hit save. So it's saved in Word. That's where my files should be!") or how to do a backup...I mean, you're still using a computer, and you still have to do *some* work lol. It's no wonder there are so many phishing scams, if people can't be bothered to understand what a legitimate URL should look like...or what a file extension is so they're not accidentally executing malware (Windows being partially to blame by HIDING extensions by default! Ugh! What a terrible move that was!)

I can't remember much about the first time I tried Linux (around 2007) but it was probably some Ubuntu distro. At the time Ardour was available but was quite limited in its usefulness. I mean, compared to a tape-based recording setup synced to a MIDI sequencer it was still superior by a long shot. It's more about the carpenter than the hammer, after all. But it was no Cubase or Sonar. Plugins were scant too. Getting audio working was a nightmare unless you had one of few devices ("class-compliant" USB audio devices wasn't really a thing), and JACK complicated things further. I gave up pretty quickly, although I remember how I could basically do everything else in Linux with a few substitutions of software. Then around 2012 I tried again, but was still left disappointed in terms of the DAW situation. I was tempted to try Windows Reaper in WINE but thought "nah...I see this ending badly for me..." I'm almost surprised it's taken this long for Linux to seem viable for me as a "do-everything" OS. But it's clear when you read on a distro's page that it's "user friendly" when it has CLI package manager (and is well known that you'll be using Terminal a lot), that the Linux world on the whole (with some exceptions) doesn't really care too much about what the average person wants in a PC. For devs it's a "chicken and egg" situation for the most part: why develop software for an OS with so few users.

So in another way it's amazing how far Linux has come, knowing that so many devs (of the distros and the software) were doing the work for free. It's hard to complain about how long it took Gimp to get to version 2.10 for instance, in retrospect. With some great Linux apps being so mature now, it makes me wonder when the tipping point will happen, when so many more people will migrate to Linux. I can at least see that point on the horizon now.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:59 PM   #104
Glennbo

Quote:
Yeah during the transition from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95, it was amazing how many people at the time didn't know anything about DOS (including those who'd used Windows 3.1 for a while prior to switching to Windows 95). It's like the CLI approach just instantly died as soon as a passable GUI was available, at least for the average user. Someone would have a problem they couldn't resolve in file manager, and I'd remind them they could just do some commands in DOS...but they didn't know how to use DOS at all. I couldn't blame them. But even in Windows 95, sometimes it was very practical to use DOS to do some tasks. Half the time I helped people with their computers, I'd be using DOS to fix their issues.
Having experience in a command prompt environment was a huge benefit for me helping both novice customers and certified Microsoft network guys who had no idea that you could connect things on the network with Net Use \\Server\Share commands.

I came from AmigaOS which was like Unix meets DOS in a preemptive multitasking GUI based OS. In the mid 80s the DOS app I programmed for would also run on Unix by simply switching the runtime out. The programs didn't even have to be uniquely compiled for either OS, so I got my feet wet with SCO Unix before there was any GUI.

Quote:
So I'm not scared of CLI. I just find it annoying that in 2018 it's necessary to the degree that it is, in a lot of Linux distros. Linux has come a long way to being user-friendly, but there are still some "barriers" for the average user to overcome if they want to be able to manage their system. I have to say though, if the average person weren't so lazy about learning their system (whatever OS), to the point they can't even be bothered to learn where they save their files (from Word or whatever..."all I do is open Word, finish typing and hit save. So it's saved in Word. That's where my files should be!") or how to do a backup...I mean, you're still using a computer, and you still have to do *some* work lol. It's no wonder there are so many phishing scams, if people can't be bothered to understand what a legitimate URL should look like...or what a file extension is so they're not accidentally executing malware (Windows being partially to blame by HIDING extensions by default! Ugh! What a terrible move that was!)
I had numerous customers who got infected by clicking on double extension named files. You example of them using Word and thinking their document got saved in Word, rather than somewhere on the HD is kind of humorous to me because I just got an iPhone, and the file browser on it threw me for a loop. Each app has it's own folder for storage, and there is no navigation of a file system.

Nothing like the Blackberry Z10 I just retired, which was more like using Windows or Linux, where you could see the whole structure, and easily copy stuff not only between folders, but between the phone and any networked computer, since it looked just like any device with shares on the network.

Quote:
I can't remember much about thitting the edges seems to go for a quarter or something. I have a 28he first time I tried Linux (around 2007) but it was probably some Ubuntu distro. At the time Ardour was available but was quite limited in its usefulness. I mean, compared to a tape-based recording setup synced to a MIDI sequencer it was still superior by a long shot. It's more about the carpenter than the hammer, after all. But it was no Cubase or Sonar. Plugins were scant too. Getting audio working was a nightmare unless you had one of few devices ("class-compliant" USB audio devices wasn't really a thing), and JACK complicated things further. I gave up pretty quickly, although I remember how I could basically do everything else in Linux with a few substitutions of software. Then around 2012 I tried again, but was still left disappointed in terms of the DAW situation. I was tempted to try Windows Reaper in WINE but thought "nah...I see this ending badly for me..." I'm almost surprised it's taken this long for Linux to seem viable for me as a "do-everything" OS. But it's clear when you read on a distro's page that it's "user friendly" when it has CLI package manager (and is well known that you'll be using Terminal a lot), that the Linux world on the whole (with some exceptions) doesn't really care too much about what the average person wants in a PC. For devs it's a "chicken and egg" situation for the most part: why develop software for an OS with so few users.
I think the first Linux I tried was Red Hat, and then Mandrake, but I never tried any music software until a month ago when I noticed REAPER for Linux. I switched to Linux for two reasons.

A microcode update to mitigate Spectre and Windows 7 extended support ending in January of 2020. Windows 10 would also get me the microcode update, plus not expire in 2020, but at a higher price than I'm willing to pay, and I don't mean in dollars.

Quote:
So in another way it's amazing how far Linux has come, knowing that so many devs (of the distros and the software) were doing the work for free. It's hard to complain about how long it took Gimp to get to version 2.10 for instance, in retrospect. With some great Linux apps being so mature now, it makes me wonder when the tipping point will happen, when so many more people will migrate to Linux. I can at least see that point on the horizon now.
Not missing Windows at all here! Never thought I'd be this comfortable just staying in Linux all day either, but the only time I even boot the Windows side of this dual boot machine is when I need to check how I had something setup over there so I can set it up the same in Linux.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #105
JamesPeters

One of the first apps I added to my smartphone was a better file manager. So I know what you mean...

Yeah, the "double-extension" trick. It fooled so many people, even though they should've been suspicious that their JPG files suddenly showed a .JPG "extension" for only one or two of them when the rest of their pics folder had no such "extensions". Shaking my head. And despite how many times I'd warned people to use Firefox (and later Chrome) with AdBlock and script blockers (NOT Internet Explorer!!!), effectively holding their hands as I showed them how easy it was, I'd inevitably get phone calls to come help them with their computers "because the Internet told me I needed to install a virus scanner, and I gave them my credit card number, but the virus only got worse!" Ugh. The Internet told you that you had a virus. Sigh. Call your bank and cancel your credit card right now lol.

I feel the same way about Windows 10. It crossed a few lines for me. I kept using Windows 7 right up until the bitter end. And yes although there were updates for Spectre and Meltdown, when I ran InSpectre to verify they'd been done (after a firmware update from my mainboard manufacturer), the author of InSpectre was sure to include in the report how despite the fact the patches were done, one of the two patches was half-assed for Windows 7 and it would in fact affect my system performance (going on for a bit about how it should be possible to do this patch properly in Windows 7, but "it remains to be seen if Microsoft will do this" lol). That was the last straw.

I'm happy so far with MX Linux. I'd already switched apps a while ago (sometimes just coincidentally) to ones which were available for both Linux and Windows, and the odd few exceptions have been easy to substitute. I had to get a new controller board for my laser engraver but that wasn't expensive, and now I get to use Inkscape with it, yay!
Old 10-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #106
Glennbo

Quote:
One of the first apps I added to my smartphone was a better file manager. So I know what you mean...
VLC on the iPhone will at least let me do WiFi transfers like I used to do on the Blackberry, but everything gets dropped into the VLC folder, where unless it was a video file I have to move the file using the iPhone afterward.

Quote:
Yeah, the "double-extension" trick. It fooled so many people, even though they should've been suspicious that their JPG files suddenly showed a .JPG "extension" for only one or two of them when the rest of their pics folder had no such "extensions". Shaking my head.
The first thing I do with a fresh install of Windows or Linux is to disable the hiding of anything. I'd rather see a messy list of stuff that shows me everything that is really there, than a neat one that doesn't.

Quote:
And despite how many times I'd warned people to use Firefox (and later Chrome) with AdBlock and script blockers (NOT Internet Explorer!!!), effectively holding their hands as I showed them how easy it was, I'd inevitably get phone calls to come help them with their computers "because the Internet told me I needed to install a virus scanner, and I gave them my credit card number, but the virus only got worse!" Ugh. The Internet told you that you had a virus. Sigh. Call your bank and cancel your credit card right now lol.
The last year I worked before retiring early my boss decided to bring his daughter in to help him with the office management. The very first day she was there I'm in my office and I hear "UH OH" from her's, so I go in there and she has a screen full of windows popping up faster than you can shut them down. I asked her what she did and she told me some page she was on told her to update Flash, so she clicked on it. I had to do a factory recover on her machine, and then I locked that sucker down with NoScript and a HOSTS file, which my boss had neglected to do when he set her a machine up.

Quote:
I feel the same way about Windows 10. It crossed a few lines for me. I kept using Windows 7 right up until the bitter end. And yes although there were updates for Spectre and Meltdown, when I ran InSpectre to verify they'd been done (after a firmware update from my mainboard manufacturer), the author of InSpectre was sure to include in the report how despite the fact the patches were done, one of the two patches was half-assed for Windows 7 and it would in fact affect my system performance (going on for a bit about how it should be possible to do this patch properly in Windows 7, but "it remains to be seen if Microsoft will do this" lol). That was the last straw.
Steve Gibson's InSpectre looks at registry keys and doesn't tell you the truth when you run it in WINE. My mobo is old enough that Asus won't be patching for Spectre in the BIOS, so I have to have an OS that addresses it. Microsoft pretty much lost me when they kept trying to cram Windows 10 down my throat. I'd uninstall the KB that put the GWX (Get Windows 10) crap on my machine, and then tell it to never install it again, and a week later M$ would sneak it back on my machine, hoping I wouldn't notice. It felt like a brute force attack and made me go pro active against them. So glad Windows is in my rear view mirror now.

Quote:
I'm happy so far with MX Linux. I'd already switched apps a while ago (sometimes just coincidentally) to ones which were available for both Linux and Windows, and the odd few exceptions have been easy to substitute. I had to get a new controller board for my laser engraver but that wasn't expensive, and now I get to use Inkscape with it, yay!
Laser engraver for circuit boards? I've been weeding through the Windows apps I'm running in WINE and replacing them with native Linux equivalents. I'm down to only about three now excluding Windows plugins for REAPER. I have my Windows programming language that I wrote my stock ticker in, a programming editor which I can probably replace but just haven't yet, and <drum roll> Winamp v2.80 from April 23 2002, which I believe was the absolute last one before it got AOLized. Winamp is still my favorite MP3/Wav player.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:40 PM   #107
JamesPeters

Quote:
The first thing I do with a fresh install of Windows or Linux is to disable the hiding of anything. I'd rather see a messy list of stuff that shows me everything that is really there, than a neat one that doesn't.
You bet! And I've had people get upset with me when I've done this with their PCs, even after I explained the exact reason why they should damn well get used to knowing what a file extension is lol. Basic housekeeping, folks.

Quote:
Microsoft pretty much lost me when they kept trying to cram Windows 10 down my throat. I'd uninstall the KB that put the GWX (Get Windows 10) crap on my machine, and then tell it to never install it again, and a week later M$ would sneak it back on my machine, hoping I wouldn't notice. It felt like a brute force attack and made me go pro active against them.
I'd kind of forgotten about that! Yes, I had switched to manual updates only, and checked every single KB reference before installing lol. Then they kept adding updates which "makes it easier for software updates" and I'd sigh, look it up on Google, and find out it was part of that whole ramming-Windows10-down-my-throat attempt.

Quote:
Laser engraver for circuit boards?
Actually I make my circuit boards by hand ("blank" circuit board material with no copper plating at all, cut on a saw with a super sharp blade, drilled for eyelets/turrets, then hand-populated and hand-wired).

I use the engraver for amplifier faceplates/logos.

Quote:
I've been weeding through the Windows apps I'm running in WINE and replacing them with native Linux equivalents. I'm down to only about three now excluding Windows plugins for REAPER. I have my Windows programming language that I wrote my stock ticker in, a programming editor which I can probably replace but just haven't yet, and <drum roll> Winamp v2.80 from April 23 2002, which I believe was the absolute last one before it got AOLized. Winamp is still my favorite MP3/Wav player.
Ha ha! You and that friend of mine who insisted on compiling Linux.

I'm glad about DrumGizmo. There just aren't any other plugins for Linux that I know of (and very few for Windows except paid ones) which allow more than 2 audio output channels (16 of them), velocity layering and round robin. It was one of the last pieces of the puzzle, that I realized I could just ditch Windows and migrate to Linux. Now I need to complete those drumkits. At least I won't have to edit the XML files "manually" anymore, since there's a drumkit editor for it in Linux. I should've just waited until after my migration before starting those kits...
Old 10-10-2018, 02:32 AM   #108
Garrick

Quote:
MX Linux is Debian-based.

Manjaro has Pacman for its package manager (the thing which allows you to download software), which is command line interface. I can't abide that. MX Linux has Synaptic Package Manager and MX Package Installer by default, which aren't the most intuitive but are still far better than any CLI-based package manager.

Honestly I'm surprised any distro can be called "user-friendly" (how Manjaro is referred to on its website) these days if its package manager is CLI. I know another package manager can be added, but still, come on. Anyone who's old enough (me included) and used "regular PCs" will remember leaving behind command line stuff as of Windows 95 (with the odd exception). I barely remember any DOS commands. As for new users, they're not going to appreciate CLI stuff either since most computers these days are as GUI-oriented as possible. Realistically speaking, most users won't find some very important aspects of an Arch-based distro such as Manjaro "user friendly". If they mean "programmers, and hardcore Linux nerds will consider Manjaro to be user friendly", fair enough.

Also it seemed there was a wider variety of software repositories for Debian (MX Linux). That is unless you count the AUR with Manjaro (and they warn about possible issues when doing that).

There were a few other things I noticed about MX Linux that seemed more friendly, including the ability to make a custom ISO (for doing backup/restore).

Anyway in a video I'd seen about MX Linux versus Manjaro, someone commented this:

Very cool post good sir
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:41 AM   #109
SmajjL

WoW! MX Linux have options!!... and even straight in its package thing, you can select standard or MX repo etc, good!
And beeing used to install the Ubuntu or Manjaro way, I had a little getting used to as for installing, via its "gparted" stuff and getting used to little "different" and can be taken as, more "difficult" for someone I guess, just a matter of adapt a little like the Borg.
This could be a great tip for me, digging into this, thank you very much!

Also, I read Mint was hacked sometime in the past, so everyone downloaded hacked .Iso's or something..
- "What is the world coming to" - ... (Smokey and the Bandit)
Anyway, wiie!

My first impression of Linux was that I would for sure need a Notepad full with text of Sudo's to remember

Some time later, nope, I am having issues with loosing the connection(internet) '-just like that- stop working for no reason with out me doing anything special, just install OS and activate GUFW the noob way to simply, ON.
Off topic I know, just saying..

Last edited by SmajjL; 10-10-2018 at 07:15 AM. Reason: not wiie, damnit.. :)
Old 10-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #110
s wave

Default Nice info .... i love it ! misc. stories

Where do I start ... resurrected thread...
I got off windows long ago and am glad i did... I roughed it out like you... Until Ardour 4 came along linux audio was tough. JACK is still NOT INTUITIVE but usable. (I still use it on other hard drive)... When Win 95 had a back door - 2nd gen maybe? I wanted to ditch windows but didnt and couldnt Any way when Silver light and knock off programs came out I was officially done with windows. I needed an open source program to enter court systems...thanks Bill G. of MS.
This summer I did a job for a guy who worked on prototype IBM System/360 Operating System software side. I learned alot. Write software without the hardware...or make the hardware and write the software later?... nice conversations. I asked him how did the team of about 8 people do it. He said "purpose" "clarity" No egos just fun with task at hand. And when we were done - rip it up and do it again... As the team ripped up more works... they got closer to the clarity of the purpose. in '59 or '60 they had their first OS with batch processing etc. AND ONLY ONE bug that had to be fixed.
This is kind of how I think, see it from hardware point of view then from the softwares view. I go back and forth assimilating till I get lightbulb moment of how it works. Computers I love them and hate them haha.
Before I forget ... Roland’s VS PREAMPs are widely acclaimed for their pristine and transparent sound. Developed from the same class A preamp circuitry found in our V-Mixer series of professional mixing consoles, these premium-quality mic preamps deliver an accurate, neutral sound across the entire frequency spectrum, with no bias toward any particular frequency band.
VS PREAMPs also deliver lots of headroom. Increasing the headroom in mic preamps typically results in problems with the signal-to-noise ratio; etc. hl part of any audio interface. Roland’s VS PREAMPs provide low noise with high-quality, class A circuitry and huge headroom, bringing pro-quality recording with stunning clarity to your studio.
I was also blessed to meet a guy who built and engineered the Record Plant and Power Station recording studios think long ago ... he conceived built and soldered them under the age of 18. Tubes amps preamps he made it all... Imagine the ingenuity. We need X amount of Microphones... and we will build what we can't buy... and need X amount of Mic Preamps - And we will build them from scratch... mixing boards - spring reverbs etc WOW.
Moving on I wanted debian for the boatloads of programs. But please do not leave Fedora short... Red Hat is commercial ... Fedora is cutting edge. take a look at the 'core' at 200 mb. It is not my daily driver... but if I have to get something done... that I cant the active forum will get me a fix before the night is over
Before I end this little post let me say for me... I want to have my recording efforts 'MODULAR'; meaning 'why not have a pc with near 1 ms latency just for recording ONE TRACK?" and make Daily Driver Reaper DAW pc with alot of bells and whistles. And I finished building a PC free from craiglists parts: (4 core Athlon) ddr2 just for my KX61 keyboard with Bristol and all the fun softsynths. I use that just for keyboard sounds... than flash drive them over to main DAW... I am trying to make usb nas storage PC with WIN 7 and WIN 95 to plug into my MAIN LINUX PC AND I am not going to read anything about how to do it... I will get a wire and go from there... I will learn if I have to make some sort of special crossover transition doo hickey. nice thread.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #111
s wave

Default why not 2 pcs?

smajjL how about 2 pcs? Like I said earlier my friend is phd science whizz mo - I am a capable novice.
He uses i3 Manjaro #1 (you can slowly compile?) then he uses
Fedora core #2 (easier compiling)
and he has old Win 7 #3 for certain cutting edge WIN programs.

He is an expert at looking at code and can evaluate how concise and lean it is. He hates debian, because its a "mess". I don't care I want a debian pc or hard drive... cuz if I want to download a nice open open source say Auto-cad,,, bang its done.

I have PC #1 Mint 19 CINNAMON (with samba server enabled, Logical volume manage 2 enabled and Time Shift installed {for tracking an error if it occurs}. This PC has REAPER and will be my dedicated recording station. I am weaning ARDOUR off it and shud be good to go in couple weeks. I will only have programs on it that relate to REAPER.
PC#2 ARDOUR 4 and ARDOUR 5 on it with audacity and a mish mosh of all kind of cool programs.
PC#3 The Soft Synth Hybred with Midi Controller Keyboard for doing midi sounds to flash drive over to REAPER.
2 Xeon Windows Servers with Win 7. (got both for $7 craiglist)
A laptop someone threw away... even the PC shop couldnt get it going... I opened it up and shorted the little windows bios firm ware chip (after scraping the clear varnish off the contacts) with a paperclip... I use that to test programs and things for uefi compatibility.

I built the studio for about $200 I have about 10 PCs // 5 of them are just waiting to be used for a NEW FUN project - Not top line but anyone would be hard pressed to tell if a recording didn't sound like a 'Sterling Mastering' job. Oh by the way james nice transparent interface Roland. There is only one thing left that I need... it cost more than my whole studio...lol an
SE shanghai electronics large diaphram condenser mic. like 2200A or C... My pick as best microphone. Clear and transparent - flat dynamic response. Fun fact did you know that SE Mics are technology used from the original Neumann factory? oh ya and Rupert Neve is consultant. Final trivia what BEATLES engineer owned focusrite? I forgot KEEP laying the tracks... there is a hit in there somewhere. tc
Old 10-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #112
SmajjL

Hey!

Yeah the plan used to be, have my second computer for Linux but I lend it away and that turned into, gave it away.
Yeah thinking back, Manjaro have given me little problems for what ever I am up to, it was only that Bitwig thing, but that can be solved.
What ever problem could Of Cource be me, it is just that, I am pretty eager to land somewhere just about now *LoL

You are such a nerd also I think, "capable novice"..
I could take the easy way of, I will use what you are using or other Linux people here, but we are using different it seems to me so (wait for it..) .. *i'll do it, myyyyy --- WaaaaayyYyh

You seems to be good at take advantage (street smart) of what you've got in a cool way I think and if you sing and stuff, then a good mic can not be found in someones trashcan I think.
I was about to say I must install/look at that Ardour thing.. think I will watch some Youtube see how someone who knows it can demonstrate it good for me.

So Ubuntu got the Cononical thing'ie.
Debian could be a mess'ie
Arch has a "scary" AUR stuff and one might have to compile stuff'ie?
Fedora is not Debian? I thought that "all my life" it is ssssponsored by Red Hat and Fedora is eum eum Fedora?

Rupert Neve?

Old 10-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #113
s wave

Default Hay hey HAY LOL nice post love it....

Fedora is the playground (test sight etc) for Red Hat... Red hat is commercial monster
Very similar...
Hard to find a good mic in a trash can... But you can get new akg dynamic new *very good' $19 or berhinger (8500) sm58 knock off for $10 used. I used old sony 1960 unbalanced mic for a year... got it for $3 still used it especially if i want a dark ribbon mic sound. Oh yea you can make nice ribbon mic with tinfoil hammer and a magnet... free.

Similarities:
Like Fedora, Debian is very focused on free and open source software. A good judgement of whether a particular software project is truly free and open source software can be made on the basis of whether it is available via the Debian and Fedora repositories.
Both projects have a large body of collective knowledge from the community in the form of community governance, policies, and packaging guidelines.

🔗 Differences
Debian uses the deb format, dpkg package manager, and apt-get dependency resolver. Fedora uses the RPM format, the RPM package manager, and dnf dependency resolver.

Debian has free, non-free and contrib repositories, while Fedora has a single global repository that contains only free software applications. Debian has a larger repository with over 20,000 software packages. Fedora has around 15,000 software packages, although it should be taken into account that Fedora does not include a non-free or contrib repository.

Unlike Fedora, Debian does not follow a time-based release model

The 'RPM' package manager is considered the best by many...? IMO too.

Ardour 4 or 5 is good free back up DAW... I cut my teeth on it. Ive made song with 100 tracks and filters etc. But is a lil behind Reaper with 64 log-rhythm computation... Those extra computations give you a better plot line on the sine/wave or sound more accurate... and audacity is ok for 192hz too.

Rupert NEVE is the legend who made preamps in the 1960s; a gold standard for tube recording... signal noise ratio ] special slightly distorted warm sound etc.

I am no expert. I recorded on tape 2" for a few years. Now digital is sick... don't have to worry about noise or noise floor any more. Set a noise gate. Do floating bit 32 or 64 - you're good to go.

"The absence of limitations is the enemy of art" Orson Welles

Being able to 'overdrive' or distort a sound slightly with control has been key for my recording. In a recording studio they usually use the broken Toys r Us toy tambourine NOT the $400 one. It just sits in the mix much better. Anyway I, like you, are crash coursing DIGITAL... started 1 year and 10 months ago.

There is good and bad music... if you like it its good... Louis Armstrong.

Go smajjL go! I need a rock solid DAW (Reaper) ardour backup and my playground to make mistakes on purpose and laugh at myself... even a blind squirrel finds a nut... tc
Old 10-12-2018, 07:24 AM   #114
bulevardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
and if I change distro this week, please kick my ass, thanks..
I should kick your ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Ah-oh, Firefox on Mint MATE for some reason breaks, no connection efter a while for some reason.
Ubuntu MATE then..
*sigh*
Try the Cinnamon version

Works like a charm.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #115
s wave

Default Yes no problems on firefox with Cinn DE ... agreed

Yes if you have problem with MATE try CINN works for me... I did have problems with OPERA at times... or switch search provider ... In the past I also had problems with configuration of FIREFOX at times not the OS... I keep a pc with old firefox too... sometimes you can block some of the numerous popups and Ads... Manjaro can excel with right compilations... Fedora 28 is nice and rock stable for me with all search providers.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #116
SmajjL

Thank you! s wave for the excellent explenation info!
Based this I must have a look at that Fedora and I don't really get how a flavour, could mess up Firefox if it is from the same distro MINT people, thought it could be GUFW just choosing to block stuff or something.

Absolutelly bulevardi I agree totally but that offer was for that week, and I did stop and waited until Monday. (be gentle)
*aohh shit - ahhhh! *slap!/swosh-oww!ping-pong!daum*.. thx, I needed that.
Would be wierd if it works for you guys but not here so I will have Cinnamon in mind as an option.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #117
s wave

Default DE subtle differences... bout flash?

Decent info - -The main difference between MATE and Cinnamon is the technology used to build them. MATE is based on old Gnome 2, which is stable, tried and true. Because of it has been around for so much longer, tools have been developed for it which makes Gnome 2 highly compatible with most software and also highly configurable (for example, you can run Compiz on it). As far as I know reason Mint team decided to make MATE was that the folks at Gnome had moved on from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3, and so Gnome 2 was no longer being maintained or developed further. So Mint forked Gnome 2 and made MATE, which allows the Mint devs to develop Gnome 2 as they see fit to keep the old Gnome 2 desktop experience going....The reason Cinnamon came about was that Mint was trying to make a usable desktop using the newer Gnome 3 technology. But Gnome 3 was going the route of the Gnome Shell, which didn't offer the same desktop experience that the old Gnome 2 desktop did. The Mint devs were able to make Gnome Shell (based on Gnome 3) more like the old Mint desktop we all love by adding extensions to it. Hence was born MGSE (Mint Gnome Shell Extensions). After a while, I think the Mint devs felt it was better to just fork Gnome 3 altogether and rebuild it from the ground up in their own image, which became Cinnamon (stable too).
So maybe its a basic using a particular program to SHELL... problem?
quote "MATE is a fork of GNOME 2 started by Perberos. As that started to attract other developers and users, the the fork grew into a full-fledged project: http://mate-desktop.org/. MATE is developed independently of Linux Mint, though Clem has a facilitating role on the MATE project team also. Linux Mint was the first distro to ship MATE and from the start Clem has seen the potential and importance of this project for Linux Mint users. The Linux Mint project and the MATE project regularly help each other"
So there are little differences. I think alot of my problems with internet or firefox came with FLASH or Adobe Flash and how that worked with my DE flavour. (I had similar issues with OPERA.)
Doesn't it make sense... we have programs we can open up in say Fire Fox browser! WOW to me that means that now that is different program w/ different hardware etc. (that is for ever changing)(I don't know how you can have secure pcs while running a wide open generic FLASH) maybe thats the reason for FLASH lawsuits. The programs have to be run by Unix Windows Apple Linux on an on. I don't think that could ever be secure (AND CONCISE PROGRAM) with a 'one size fits all' mentality. [If all OS types can interact with it... seems sensible then all OS problems can hack into it. /// BUT doesn't it make sense that almost any of that crud could trigger an error in you DE or OS or other? lol
I had problems with Firewalls and all kinds of things. Some little problem can creep up from many areas for me. I had problems compiling DOOM game ZANDRONUM on linux, My main problem was that the PPA or PERSONALLY ADDED (unknown program) triggered something on my PC. (I could not get good sound until I also added the TIMIDTY sound program pooof fixed. On a different PC that didnt work but when I changed settings in the ALSAMIXER that worked! Beyond me}
I even created problems by loading JACK1 instead of JACK2 and vice versa.

I LOVE TO HAVE SYSTEM LOG ROLLING in separate window IF I CHANGE anything on my PC///!!! If I see and error or there is unwanted change on my PC I go back one step - say TOTALLY UNINSTALL that program or undo what I did.

Like the great James Beard said "Too many CHEFs in the kitchen salt and pepper is a condiment" do not cook with them....lolol tc wat dat mean?
Old 10-14-2018, 01:50 AM   #118
Tobbe

Linux Mint Debian (cindy) for the last month or so. Before that Linux Lite 4.x. Both rock stable distros. With LMD I have everything working smoothly as hell, I'm a happy camper
Old 10-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #119
s wave

Default LMDE 3 'CINDY'

I think that is solid choice! I am going to build my back PC audio recorder with lmde 3. Didn't want to dive into lmde 2 but Cindy looks good.... and wont' have to worry about all that political stuff with ubuntu core/kernel proprietary garbage... its future proofed and might be MINTs future?...tc
Old 10-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #120
s wave

Default BOOTloader? smajjL?

"...thing I noticed on Manjaro is that even if I select where the bootloader should go, it can revert to the default by itself, usually where Windows lives and I don't want that" from: smajjL

Do you have dual boot? or LINUX/WINDOWS HYBRED computer... I didn't realize..
Windows will almost always reset the bios (or amoung other things)^%()()^$$%
My experience has been that WINDOWS usually demands to be installed 1st on PC with Master boot loader crud taking 1st priority on the hard drive and DRIVERS. If its Win 8 pc it can get pretty nasty. Bill Gates firmware... to registered or encrypted hard drives and on and on.
The other thing is the UEFI boot. It is not like traditional 'bios' boot. If you run program like GPARTED you can take look at the WINDOWS hard drive configuration and boot type set up. It took me a while but i can run multiple OSs ( I will not use a PC that has 'preloaded Win' especially win 8. If some one give me one I totally rid Windows out of it FOREVER!! and install a linux flavor I like)
Tell me HOW It reverts BACK to default? I think that might be where the bulk of the problems are coming from...tc amigos r u using 7 8 or 10?