Old 06-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
saresu.bass
Human being with feelings

Default Some Brazilian Pop Music stuff

This is my first mix in my life.

Please, any sort of feedback is more than welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/diego-doo/comece
saresu.bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
jopatius

First impression -
lovely

1:07: are the vocals a bit too back in the mix?

1:58 yes, the mix is very good in many ways, but there's something not right in the vocals. Could be just your recording room - is it properly treated?

A strange mix if this really was your first ever. The instruments were recorded and mixed with top radio quality, and the vocal tracks were like from another indie basement session. What's the story here?

If you did the instruments directly with your PC and only the vocals "live", then please treat the room where you record and pay attention to proper reverb& eq on the vocal track.
jopatius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
kindafishy

I'll second jopatius here. The vocals and the rest of the mix are very disjointed. The music is recorded, mixed, and affected tastefully and perfectly, really. The vocals feel very heavy in the body and too present compared to everything else. Am I hearing correction software working in a few places as well?

What are your recording details, what did you use? I'm thinking VSTi type instruments, samples, band in a box, etc? If not, and you recorded a lot of this stuff using real instruments, I think I'm going to quit music because in three years, I haven't been able to capture and mix to this level of quality. Not that there's anything wrong with VSTi, it's just that if it's not virtual, I don't think I can go on...

Just sounds much too perfect for 'first mix ever' if you're dealing with real instruments and you don't have a first class room with first class gear to record them with, but I'm happy to stand corrected.

Anyway, the song itself, the writing, is very, very good. I don't understand the lyrics, but the music is well done.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
martifingers

Is this what you guys get up to in Brazil? Very cool.

Very engaging song and production and many little things to enjoy (the carefully placed wah-wah effect on guitar etc.) It certainly did not seem like over 5 minutes.
The vocals were a lttle rough in places I guess as suggested and I wondered if the singer was at times at the bottom of his range in places and struggling a tad. Oh the ending was too abrupt but that's trivial.

So an excellent job - any chance of an English translation of the lyrics BTW?
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
benf

Like this a lot. Very well done.
Just one thing : the voice seem a bit too dry (a little of roomy reverb maybe ?)
Old 06-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
dobro

The vocals are getting a bit crowded by the rest of the mix. When I switch between mono and stereo, I'm not hearing a ton of difference until 3.25 - maybe you could pan stuff in a way before that which allowed the vocal some more of its own room? You could turn the vocal up without hurting anything, as well. And you could run some serious parallel compression on it - it's all quiet in lots of places and needs all the help it can get.

That sudden guitar that bursts out from the left at 1.50 is a shock. The way it starts, it sounds like a really sloppy edit. Put a fade in on it and see if it gentles it a bit.

I'm not sure about the maverick harmonica bit thrown in right toward the end and ending just as abruptly as it started. Maybe dump it?

Yeah, the main issue's the vocals - getting them heard. Right now, it's like you're shy of people hearing them.

If this is your first mix, I'm really interested in hearing your 10th and 20th mixes. Pretty awesome for #1.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #7
saresu.bass

First of all, Im very very sorry for my late reply to your comments... Really sorry. Ive just read it today!!

Im very impressed that u guys liked this mix..

The story is:

I indeed wrote the lyrics, played and recorded everything with real instruments, bymyself.

My interface is a Guitar Rig Session I/O that came with my Guitar Rig 4 essentials bundle. The electric guitar and bass were recorded direct on it and the only VST used was the Guitar Rig 4;

I recorded acoustic guitars inside my wardrobe, hanged comforts on the wardrobe side doors and use a condenser Audio Technica AT2035 around 2 ft away facing the guitar hole but the diaphragm toward the 12 fret area; The congas I recorded quite this same fashion...

About the vocal...
Ive started writing and singing my lyrics really recently so Im very novice in this songwriting thing and Im was totally alone at the time...
I live in a country side city in the middle of nowhere in Japan, so theres nobody who can really sing to help me with my recordings so...
I decided to do it myself... I kinda forced myself to put some feeling but as u can see, the performance really sucks... This vocal track was even worst than this, thanks to Cerberus Epoch Comb Filter VST I could make less horrible than before.
but I hope Ive learned something and will try to put some emotions on my new song that im recording now.
Also I recorded the vocals inside my wardrobe.

Kindafishy -
You right! I used Melodyne Assitant to fix my vocal performance. (Now I see the correction didnt help much...)

The details:

Toshiba Laptop Dual Core 4 GB RAM
Interface: GR Session I/O
Acoustic Guitar: Yamaha FG720S
Bass: Mexican Fender Jazz Bass
Electric Guitar: it has no brand, it seems it's from china, cant even see what caps there are, (a dear friend of mine gave it.)
Congas: an old pair of Pearl congas;
Harmonica: Lee Oskar C Key
Pedal: Cry Baby Classic
A Jaw Harp from Indonesia (I put it on the chorus parts, it's very low, can you hear it?)
MIDI keyboard Roland PCR-500.

VST:
Guitar Rig 4 Essentials (for the bass and electric guitars)
Melodyne Assistant and Epoch Comb Filter (for the Vocals)
FL Keys (its a FL Studio plugin) for the piano sounds,
MR Ray freeware for the Rhodes.

I used the Recording Revolution website and I got everything from there and implemented everything from the website to this mix... So his tips worked!

Im very gratefull for you guys for ur time to give me feedback!

Id love to answer any more questions.

Thank you very much!
Old 07-25-2013, 03:26 AM   #8
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopatius View Post

If you did the instruments directly with your PC and only the vocals "live", then please treat the room where you record and pay attention to proper reverb& eq on the vocal track.
I bought Editors Keys Portable Vocal Booth Pro for this reason.. Hope it gonna work
Old 07-25-2013, 03:35 AM   #9
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
Just sounds much too perfect for 'first mix ever' if you're dealing with real instruments and you don't have a first class room with first class gear to record them with, but I'm happy to stand corrected.
"Sounds much too perfect for 'first mix ever'" Im speechless...

The only thing that Ive done was following this series:

http://therecordingrevolution.com/5minutes/

I implemented tip by tip in chronological order from the Round 1 and 2.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:01 AM   #10
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post

So an excellent job - any chance of an English translation of the lyrics BTW?
Martifingers

I truly appreciate ur interest:

Start

I'm understanding you
I make my resume and mistake
I forget my faults
and make you smile

Every reason
to want to forget
everything that happened will be lost

Everyone wants love
All love wants forgiveness
All forgiveness wants consciousness
Consciousness has to expand

You can trust
what you feel
and remember
the universe is much bigger than what you can conceive

Chorus:
Start where you are (Dont give your ears to what others say)
The way you are
The greatest chance is here (Anywhere a dream can become true)
There's nothing elsewhere

Here comes a second chance
to wake up to see after the storm the blue sky
Choose a way and stick to it
The cure is the revolution of mind

Chorus
Start where you are (Dont give your ears to what others say)
The way you are
The greatest chance is here (Anywhere a dream can become true)
There's nothing elsewhere
Old 07-25-2013, 04:16 AM   #11
saresu.bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobro View Post
That sudden guitar that bursts out from the left at 1.50 is a shock. The way it starts, it sounds like a really sloppy edit. Put a fade in on it and see if it gentles it a bit.

I'm not sure about the maverick harmonica bit thrown in right toward the end and ending just as abruptly as it started. Maybe dump it?
I will record the vocals again but my friend will sing, Im almost sure all this issue will be gone, Im not prepare yet for recording vocals.

About the guitar burst at 1.50: I'll follow u on the fade in...

I dont know about the harmonica either...

Ill pe uploading this song with the new vocal, Id love to hear ur points again if its possible.

Thank You!