Old 01-13-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
anthraxsnax
Human being with feelings

Default can anyone help me modify humanizer

for a wider rhythm variation? I.E. simply allow the humanization and bias sliders to increase their maximum range for sloppier variation?
anthraxsnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
pcartwright

Are you talking about the included JSFX humanize effect?
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #3
Arnar

Try edit , and modify the slider 3 value.

bias_samples = srate * slider3 / 1000;

That is what I would try without knowing what I am doing.

EDIT: and that did nothing ..hehe

Last edited by Arnar; 01-13-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
anthraxsnax

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
Are you talking about the included JSFX humanize effect?
you know it!

ahem, IIRC it has your name on it ;D

I'd like to set it to triple that values it has(though I likely wont use triple, i'd like it there for automation reasons for reaaaally sloppy sequences)

I know it'll likely all add notes later rather than earlier(without using the shift 1 beat function) but I need to play in real time, with a significant variation in rhythm between parts playing in unison - so I understand the bulk of the sloppiness will be varied degrees of 'lateness'.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #5
pcartwright

It's not my effect, though I did make some changes to it for my own needs.

You need to understand a few things about the way it works under the hood. You are already familiar with the option to delay. Good. I'll explain why this will probably be your best option.

The effect works by reading in a chunk of MIDI (the buffer), randomizing the note on/off timing, and then saving the result back to the MIDI buffer. That being said, the effect can only work within the space of the buffer. The smaller the buffet, the less randomization you get. Tweaking the slider values won't make any difference.

Schwa included the beat delay to get around this limitation (presumably). I don't recall how this part works exactly, but my guess is that all MIDI data is offset by a beat and the note on/off messages are then randomized from that new value. It ignores the buffer limitation completely, but the side effect is the delay in output.

All that said, tweaking the sliders range is easy, but it won't change the outcome if you don't use the delay feature and your buffer has a low value.

A possible solution:

I'm pretty sure there is a delay plugin on the stash that has a "negative" delay (in other words, a look ahead feature). Try using that with the humanize delay to see if you can make it work. If you can make that setup work, then I'll show you how to tweak the effect.
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:30 PM   #6
anthraxsnax

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcartwright View Post
It's not my effect, though I did make some changes to it for my own needs.

You need to understand a few things about the way it works under the hood. You are already familiar with the option to delay. Good. I'll explain why this will probably be your best option.

The effect works by reading in a chunk of MIDI (the buffer), randomizing the note on/off timing, and then saving the result back to the MIDI buffer. That being said, the effect can only work within the space of the buffer. The smaller the buffet, the less randomization you get. Tweaking the slider values won't make any difference.

Schwa included the beat delay to get around this limitation (presumably). I don't recall how this part works exactly, but my guess is that all MIDI data is offset by a beat and the note on/off messages are then randomized from that new value. It ignores the buffer limitation completely, but the side effect is the delay in output.

All that said, tweaking the sliders range is easy, but it won't change the outcome if you don't use the delay feature and your buffer has a low value.

A possible solution:

I'm pretty sure there is a delay plugin on the stash that has a "negative" delay (in other words, a look ahead feature). Try using that with the humanize delay to see if you can make it work. If you can make that setup work, then I'll show you how to tweak the effect.
ohh weird.

I guess that's why I don't notice much delay(low buffer)

so look for a JS delay that has 1 beat negative delay? hmm ill see how that works(sounds really messy lmao)
Old 01-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
anthraxsnax

so next question I guess, would be is there a way to save midi editor humanize presets to be keybound?

i.e.

1 set of humanize settings bound to f1, different settings bound to f2, ect.

and is it possible to bind humanize midi items in a way that can be accessed from the timeline view instead of the midi editor for speed?