Old 07-11-2019, 01:10 AM   #1
freddie
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper problems

I purchased Reaper about 6 months back and last week was ready to use it for the first time.

So I opened it up and installed latest update and went on Youtube to watch instructional 'how to' videos and followed them.

Trouble was most are 3 years old and my Reaper does not perform the same as their older version Reapers........or so I thought.

Trouble is my Reaper does not perform at all. For a start I cannot open my compressor or any plug-ins because my 'ok' button is disabled. But why?

I think this has only happened since the June update because I did have a fiddle with it before.

I have deleted Reaper and re-installed it but the same problem and settings are as standard and not working.

Does anybody know how to reset Reaper so I can try again one last time as I am ready to dump it as I find Audacity simple to use and I will just use that until I can purchase Protools or something as I am finding Reaper too problematic and complicated.
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:45 AM   #2
martifingers

Hi Freddie. Sorry you are having problems at such an early stage - like falling at the first hurdle.
Your issue seems unusual and I am not sure why things aren't working but here are some things to try till you get better advice.

1. Firstly try a "portable" install. (Explanation here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz8w7lNtpOc)
Run this version.

2. Have you selected your audio device? Is this an external audio interface or a Windows device like WASAPI?
Are you now able to do anything? eg arm and monitor a track, record etc.

3. Are your plug-ins available now? Have you installed any third party plug-ins (ones that did not come with REAPER? Have you told REAPER where they are?

I am not sure what you mean by " settings are as standard" but following the steps above should allow you to get started at any rate.
Incidentally I am not aware of any major changes in Reaper's operation even though, due to the ability to customise Reaper's interface etc. it can look very different. I don't think Kenny uses any non-standard customisation without pointing it out explicitly.

Good luck! It really will be worth persevering and I am sure lots of people will assist as necessary. I myself gave up on REAPER after a first try as being far too complicated but luckily changed my mind and returned.
martifingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:46 AM   #3
grinder

Freddie
If you think any DAW is so simple that is the wrong notion.
Have you read the manual at all?
Years ago I tried Pro Tools and I struggled, Reaper was probably no different
however because I had tried Pro Tools with Reaper I could get somewhere.
First question you should ask yourself is why do so many musicians use Reaper?
One of the answers is that it works for them.
If you look at the answer then ask why is it not working for you the answer is not going to be that it is too too problematic and complicated.
I consider myself at the bottom of the heap as far as using all
that Reaper has and while sometimes wishing I had the capacity to
side chain and all the rest of the tricks I continue
to just use Reaper as a tape recorder with effects.
I do use automation too.
Is Reaper good? you bet... so go and read the manual for a couple of weeks.
Nothing is ever learnt quick that is so indepth it is important to learn
the simple things first. Others will chime in.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:29 AM   #4
freddie

Thanks for your replies.

Firstly before I tried to use Reaper I set it up as per a video regards vocals only which what I want to use it for. I could only get so far with this video as Reaper wasnt reacting the same as the video because the video was 3 years old and I had just updated to a new version june 2019.

I thought by deleting and reinstalling it would 'factory reset' Reaper but it doesnt. On reinstall I have exactly the same settings even though there are no trace of Reaper files on my pc.

With Audacity I could learn in a few hours no problem. Reaper appears totally different. Even more so when it will not work properly at all.

Also my Reaper edit is a pre recorded file I have imported for editing.

Last edited by freddie; 07-11-2019 at 04:01 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:08 AM   #5
Coachz

Freddie, welcome. Reaper is going to amaze you once you get over the start. Checkout these basic setup videos and hit us with some specific issues and we'll be glad to help. We are not going anywhere. These Kenny videos are simply great. Hollar back. Take notes as you go and hit use with your top questions each time.

https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #6
hopi

if you actually want help with a problem, then you have to state what the problem is...

reaper works and works fantastically well for thousands of people... so if 'you' have a problem with it, it is most likely something that 'you' don't understand... and that can be helped via some education.

So just tell us what you can't do and get some help.

You seem to say you only want to record vocals... should be easy as pie 'R squared.... so where do you get stuck?
You can't put a compressor on the track? Which compressor?

What is your type of computer? Mac or PC? What is your audio interface?

If you really think Audacity or PT is better and easier... OK, well good luck.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #7
freddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
if you actually want help with a problem, then you have to state what the problem is...
As I said earlier I cannot access my plug ins because the 'ok' button is not active. Only the close button in the plug ins is active. And yes I do click on the plug in (compressor) I wanted when trying this.

In the videos I watched Youtube (Booth Junkie) I could not drag and drop features as in video simply because that feature was not available......in other words it just would not do this. I then assumed my update was different than his Reaper 3 years old video.

I will be watching the videos kindly highlighted in an earlier post.

And my rig is.....Windows 10 i7 with 16gb of ram so more than enough hardware to take care of Reaper.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #8
Coachz

Every so often my okay button is grayed out for my effects and I simply have to close the window and reopen it and re select the effect. Does that not work on your end? How about if you close Reaper and reopen it is it still a no-go?
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:48 AM   #9
JamesPeters

If you have no tracks in the project and you open the FX browser from the main menu, the "ok" button will be greyed-out because there are no tracks on which to insert a plugin. Other than that I haven't experienced this.

If you're opening the FX browser from a track (or have a track selected and open the FX browser window from the menu, etc.), even if "ok" is greyed-out there's the possibility of double-clicking on the name of the effect instead. (I seldom bother hitting "ok"; I just find the plugin and double-click on it.)

And I feel silly asking this...but did you select the plugin by clicking on it in the right side of the window; or are you just clicking on a folder on the left, seeing the plugins on the right, and hitting "ok" without selecting a plugin. (The plugin does have to be selected even if it's the only plugin in that folder/category.)
Old 07-11-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
freddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post

And I feel silly asking this...but did you select the plugin by clicking on it in the right side of the window; or are you just clicking on a folder on the left, seeing the plugins on the right, and hitting "ok" without selecting a plugin. (The plugin does have to be selected even if it's the only plugin in that folder/category.)
No I did every variation/version possible.

With the Presets I set up from the video which I cant reset. Then this procedure may have caused my dilemma.

I will watch the instruction videos over the coming days and try again.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #11
poetnprophet

Hey Freddie, make sure you're watching the videos shown here: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

They may be old but they are relevant for the current version of Reaper. I purchased my Reaper license about 1 year ago, and I STILL look at these videos, they should be very helpful for you.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #12
JamesPeters

Freddie: which video are you talking about? Post a link here.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:15 PM   #13
BobbyS

you might give this a go. I ran across this a few days ago and is current

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwDcTPn2dvc&t=881s
BobbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:51 PM   #14
hopi

I don't even know what OK button your are talking about as regards plugins

where exactly do you see that OK button?

if I want an FX on a track I open the FX Browser, find the FX desired in the right hand pane and drag and drop it on the track or item
Old 07-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #15
cstooch

Quote:
I don't even know what OK button your are talking about as regards plugins

where exactly do you see that OK button?

if I want an FX on a track I open the FX Browser, find the FX desired in the right hand pane and drag and drop it on the track or item
There's more than one way to skin a cat in Reaper.. what I think the Op means is the FX Browser (which you can also get to by clicking the FX button on any track, among other methods) has an OK button right on it. What I personally do is hit the FX button for a particular track, then hit Add, then double click whatever VST I want to add (or highlight and click OK).

I'm not sure why the OK button would be disabled though. I Googled to see if anyone else had this issue, and all I found was a known issue from v5.4 that was fixed. All I can suggest is try from the menu Insert->Visual Instrument on New Track, and see if you can add a VSTi. Then from there, see if you can select the track and add an effect to that track. If you can do that, maybe there is something that Reaper isn't liking with whatever track you're adding the effect to..?
cstooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #16
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
I have deleted Reaper and re-installed it but the same problem and settings are as standard and not working.

Does anybody know how to reset Reaper so I can try again one last time as I am ready to dump it as I find Audacity simple to use and I will just use that until I can purchase Protools or something as I am finding Reaper too problematic and complicated.
freddie, you should be able to reset Reaper to its default in several ways. I'm a Macs and not Windows, so forgive if my Windows advice isn't exact, but if you type Reaper into the search bar one of the returns should be a box to reset Reaper to the default.

The reason it retained its settings when you deleted ad reinstalled the app is because Reaper creates a folder on your drive where it saves all settings that are created. That's actually a great thing, because one can update Reaper and it will still access the same settings folder. Here's a post with info about where it resides in Windows. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=51164

Follow that info about finding the Reaper.ini file. Take this file out of the folder to reset Reaper.

The info isn't about Windows 10 so if the directions there don't give you success, follow the directions there for finding it by running Reaper and going to the Options menu and to "Show REAPER resource path in Explorer/Finder" for its path.

I'm not sure why the videos you saw didn't help. Any Reaper video I've ever seen for how to begin using it didn't have any particular directions from 3 years ago til now that make the procedure for basic importing of a file and editing any different. FX use is pretty much the same as far as how to do it. It sounds like something isn't set up right.

Anyway, go to the excellent up to date videos right here on the Cockos site by Kenny Gioia.

https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php
Old 07-11-2019, 09:12 PM   #17
JamesPeters

It might be a good idea to wait to see the video he's talking about, so that we know what he means specifically. I get the impression we're assuming it's something as simple as adding an effect from the FX browser, but that he means something different. His language was a bit unclear.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:51 PM   #18
freddie

I feel I have caused confusion here ..... so to clear up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiZhqbSAyzA and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooSmb4oboyQ

I set up my Reaper to these 2 videos because it was exactly what I was looking for. Trouble is my Reaper in part wouldnt do same as the videos. I put this down to my Reaper being a brand new version just a few weeks old and the videos from an earlier 3 year old version.

There is nothing wrong with the video producers videos. I rate that vid producer quite highly. But my Reaper wouldnt do as his Reaper did in the videos such as drag and drop positioning items for instance.

Now I also cannot get rid of the presets I installed so I can start again from fresh just in case I installed something incorrectly (my theory).

My plug-ins are in my preset (as video) FX Browser. In my FX Browser to activate a plug-in you need to click 'OK'. This I cannot do because it is greyed out/disabled.

I had imported a pre-recorded track into Reaper from a file on my pc. It had opened correctly (I think).

So because my FX Browser 'OK' button is greyed out I cannot access my plug-ins and more importantly I cannot reset this issue to over ride whatever problem I may have caused somehow.

I hope I made sense of my post now. I use my pc for video processing (Camtasia) so is plenty powerful enough for Reaper.

I had never used Audacity before and managed that in just a few hours so I am no 'thicko'. But I cant even get started with Reaper. So I feel something or I have done something wrong somewhere.

I will be watching instructional videos supplied by posters above over coming days and will report back.

Thank you all.

Last edited by freddie; 07-11-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:22 AM   #19
JamesPeters

So you docked the FX browser. Ok when I do that I also notice that I see "ok" greyed out even when I have a track selected and I select an effect. However you can still 1) drag the effect to a track, or 2) double-click on the effect (if the track is selected) and the effect will go to the track (actually I just tried doing that again, and it seems it only adds FX to the last track which had an effect added to it, irrespective of which track I have selected when double-clicking on the effect...so don't do this lol).

Note: if you drag an effect to a track, be sure to not drag it to the "input FX" area by accident if you don't want it there. If you don't know the difference, then it's probably better to revert to the default configuration of REAPER so that you gain some familiarity with the track FX "bins" and how most people would add FX to them.

I recommend not doing what that person does in his videos as an initial setup for Reaper. Instead I recommend using the default layout and watching the videos CoachZ mentioned in post #5. Your layout will match his and it'll make learning easier. Once you have an idea how you want your layout to be, then start making changes to the toolbars/dockers/etc., but not before that. Most tuturial videos for REAPER won't have the setup such as in the videos you posted. It's fine to set up Reaper that way but already you had a problem which you didn't know how to resolve, even though a couple of us gave you alternative ways of doing the same thing.

If you want to do a "factory reset", here's what to do.

From the menu: options -> show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder. Once that window opens, make a note of where this folder is. (It can be in different locations depending on your OS and where you choose to install.) Close REAPER. Uninstall REAPER. Go to your program files folder and make sure there are no files left in the REAPER folder. Then go to the folder which was referred to as the "REAPER resource path" and delete everything in there too. Then reinstall REAPER.

You'll have to enter your registration info again once you install and start REAPER for the first time.

If you want the view "less cluttered", you can hide the mixer easily enough (on my system the shortcut is CTRL+M to toggle the mixer view; you can assign this function to another shortcut if you want too). But I really don't recommend doing too much else to the layout until you learn REAPER a little bit first.

As for that behavior you noticed about the docked FX browser and the "ok" button: I've just reported it as a bug on this thread. But at least you know that's not the only way to add FX to a track. For that matter there's an FX button on each track's control panel that you can click. If you have the mixer view open you can right-click on an FX slot and add FX that way. There are more ways to add FX but you get the idea. You chose one specific way which coincidentally didn't work...and since I'd never tried it that way I'm not even sure it ever did work properly (it's been that way since version 5.0 at least, which is the version from Aug 2015). The idea of having a docked FX browser is one of the things about Sonar that I didn't like (I don't like having a chunk of my screen taken up by something I don't need staring me in the face all the time). So I had never tried that one specific way of dealing with the FX browser.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 07-12-2019 at 01:25 AM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #20
hopi

ah I see what the OP means as the OK button....

gotta say I've never used it... why would you?

I don't know why his button is greyed out... but again... just drag and drop the FX from the right hand pane onto the track... does that not work for you?
Old 07-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #21
JamesPeters

He's new to Reaper, and the FX browser should work a certain way consistently even when docked (otherwise why dock it, unless the "docked version" would remove the ability to double-click and/or hit "OK"). So he was confused. He watched a video of someone saying "set Reaper up this way, it's easier" and that included a docked FX browser. In that circumstance, the FX browser's behavior is inconsistent (or "wrong") when trying to add FX using 2 of the 3 ways it was meant to. I understand the confusion. But I'd never noticed until now since I don't like leaving the FX browser open.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:36 AM   #22
hopi

I finally found out what the OP means about the OK button being greyed out... in the FX Browser....

try it yourself..
load just one track but don't touch it...
one the FX Browser [mine is always docked to the left side of arrange window]

for testing, have the Cockos FX showing
select one of them, say ReaEQ
and see the OK button at the bottom, ...greyed out...
OK now rt clk on the track FX button and just don't select anything, let the list the rt clk called up close...
NOW look at the OK button in the bottom of the FX Browser
no longer greyed out?
So now if you select some FX's and clk that OK button they will go onto that track...

So it's just newbie confusion... Reaper needs to know what you want it to do... like it needs to know which track you want to load FX onto...

anyway... I never use the OK button, ... I just drag the FX's from the browser onto the track...
Old 07-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #23
freddie

Hopi I wanted to set my Reaper for just editing Voice over work only. It's for my mrs and I will do the editing.

I have lots of other far more complicated software for video etc. So what I want is a fast simple to use vocal editing software which some voice over people swear by (Reaper).

As a newbie I just found in problematic and clunky compared to anything else I have used. So as you can imagine doubly frustrated.

But I think it was because I just jumped in and set it up as per videos.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #24
hopi

hey fredie ok be calm and be like the pygmy at the doctors office

[ a little patient ]

reaper is totally great, for me and many others... but it takes some learning to get it to look and behave the way YOU want it to ....

ask questions that are specific on the forum and you will always get help
Old 07-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #25
JamesPeters

Quote:
I finally found out what the OP means about the OK button being greyed out... in the FX Browser....

try it yourself..
load just one track but don't touch it...
one the FX Browser [mine is always docked to the left side of arrange window]

for testing, have the Cockos FX showing
select one of them, say ReaEQ
and see the OK button at the bottom, ...greyed out...
OK now rt clk on the track FX button and just don't select anything, let the list the rt clk called up close...
NOW look at the OK button in the bottom of the FX Browser
no longer greyed out?
So now if you select some FX's and clk that OK button they will go onto that track...

So it's just newbie confusion... Reaper needs to know what you want it to do... like it needs to know which track you want to load FX onto...

anyway... I never use the OK button, ... I just drag the FX's from the browser onto the track...
It's still not intuitive even if that's the case. If you have to first select the FX bin by right-clicking it (specifically on the FX bin's "power button", since that's what you need to right-click on for this to work), then move your mouse over to the docked FX browser, it defeats the purpose. You can always right-click on an FX bin and bring up the menu for inserting FX that way (and it's faster).

Anyway that behavior in your test still doesn't apply to the input FX bin, or the FX bin of a media item.

Perform your test, then afterward do this: right-click on the input FX bin (any part of it, then escape from the menu that pops up) and select a plugin to insert; it instead goes to the last place you inserted an effect (not the input FX bin, but the track FX bin). Only if you left-click on the input FX bin (which brings up a floating FX browser, and you hit ESC to close it) will the docked FX browser then insert an effect on the input FX bin (but that's pointless since calling it up from the bin on the TCP/MCP opens a floating FX browser anyway).

It's the same when trying to select a media item's FX bin for inserting an effect. There's no point in doing it that way.

This isn't simply "newbie confusion", since you didn't even realize this (and neither did I, until I tested these things). This is unintuitive behavior of the FX browser when docked. The only thing the FX browser is practically useful for when docked is to drag FX wherever you want them. That's fine, of course. But using the docked FX browser any other way is odd at best.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 07-13-2019 at 12:38 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:32 PM   #26
hopi

james I don't really not agree about it being not totally intuitive... but on the other hand, drag and drop is and has been for me for so long I did not even know there was an OK button down there... hahaha

If I want input fx, I call open the window for it and d and d to it...

none of this seem a major issue to me once a user finds a way to do it
Old 07-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #27
JamesPeters

Or maybe the behavior can be changed so that this sort of confusion doesn't happen. I think that might be better than pretending the FX browser works properly when docked.

I'll leave that up to the devs. I don't like dragging/dropping FX and leaving the FX browser docked, so it doesn't matter to me.