Old 08-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
AdamWathan
Human being with feelings

Default Media item peak blend mode?

Is it possible to adjust this? It seems like it's impossible to control how the peaks are colored, you just have to pick a peak color and hope the way it blends with the item color looks nice... I'm trying to get the peaks to show more of the tint color and less of the peak color and I can't figure out a way to do it...
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
arkima

Hi Adam,

Well as far as I've found there is no control over the strength of Peak/Waveform coloring, particularly when custom colored. I mentioned in the Pre-Release forum some time back (http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=44) that if any of the media waveform/peak tick options are selected (ticked) together with it's media background relative - Reaper still draws what default peak colors are set in the Theme editor and blends the Track/item/Take applied custom color together - which gives a somewhat poor waveform/peak coloring result (usually dull but may depend)...

So, even if for example you just select coloring for the Waveforms/Peaks - they seem to be nice and vivid but there's also afaik no control over the weight or strength of the coloring applied.

A related request was also put on the issue tracker by Reflected - but this was whilst it was still in Pre prior to the official 3.66 release: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2793

Oh... you should know this thread (where the above links come from): http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=62283

I guess everyone was quite busy with other pre-release matters at the time but - Schwa did an awesome fix on the waveform/peak highlight bug that was found - so it's a big improvement from how things were working before.

sorry for the length of this post...
arkima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
AdamWathan

Ah this is a bummer! You are right, if you disable background tinting the peaks look much more vibrant and colorful.

The FR doesn't really cover what we need though, the tint strength isn't the crucial factor, it's the blend mode... With the item backgrounds we have a blend mode control that allows us to decide how the media item color and the background color set in the theme blend together, this is exactly the control we need for the peaks so we can allow more of the tint to show through by limiting how much of the background color is shown...

Hopefully this is something that can be added.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
arkima

Yep...

Honestly I think the Waveform/Peak coloring it not working the way it is probably intended to do. Even disregarding the tint strength control - Media Item backgrounds do not behave as the Peaks are atm because the way a custom color sits with the default color set in the Theme Editor or .png color. It just looks like the custom color does have a transparency on the peaks when this strange result comes through. So comparing item background color and the applied custom color result, to waveform/peak default color and applied custom color - their behavior are nearly opposites of each other in therms of what's colored on top of what.

-Sorry if I'm not explaining my thoughts very well (-coffee time for me)

I do agree with you though and think you have a good point on a way to solution.

Last edited by arkima; 08-15-2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: clarifying
arkima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
antiClick

Maybe try this:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=63238

antiClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiClick View Post
Heh, that's my screenshot of my current settings, the ones I'm not happy with :P
Old 08-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Reflected

i had the same problem.

we need this: Custom colors: preference for media item waveform peaks tint strength, for selected/unselected media items
Reflected is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
djjedidiah

Gotta drag this one out, I'm looking for the same thing Adam was. Please please please?
djjedidiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:58 AM   #9
gofer
-blänk-

This is weird. I do have problems with how track name fields and item backgrounds behave concerning custom color tinting, but peaks (waveform previews) seem to get the very color I choose in the picker. For sure they don't vary with item background custom color here and they also don't seem to be mixed with the color of the theme's item background images. I also don't see them mixed with the peak color chosen in the theme editor.

Can someone provide a pic showing the issue?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote