Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Spatial Audio

Old 08-08-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)
Default Ambisonics and 3D Audio in REAPER Now Has a New Home!

A big thumbs up to Justin for setting up this dedicated home for Ambisonics and 3D audio in REAPER.
Current threads about these topics are being migrated here and redirect links will be created where they were located.

Spread the word!
Old 08-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
cyrano

Great! Thanks, Justin et al!
Old 08-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
Xenakios

Great! Is talk about 4.0, 5.1 etc accepted too?
Old 08-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Great! Is talk about 4.0, 5.1 etc accepted too?
Whike the intention here is to focus primarily on 3D formats (width, depth and height capable), Ambisonics itself can be worked with for mixing to any desired output including mono. In fact, every 5.1 or quad mix I do now is simply derived from a third order Ambisonic mix and it works extremely well.

Discussion on 2D formats such as 5.1 and 4.0 will inevitably come up in topics here but the primary intention is to promote and bring greater understanding and awareness to full 3D formats such as Ambisonics, Binaural, Dolby Atmos, Auro 3D, IMAX and others and how REAPER can be utilized for creating content in/for such formats.

These are just my thoughts and my purpose for requesting the creation of this section.
I'd love to hear what others think about this and discuss the pros and cons.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:26 AM   #5
RDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
A big thumbs up to Justin for setting up this dedicated home for Ambisonics and 3D audio in REAPER.
Current threads about these topics are being migrated here and redirect links will be created where they were located.

Spread the word!
Very cool, thank you for triggering this! REAPER is my go to DAW for Ambisonic productions and imho there's no better DAW for that, especially because it supports 64 channels -> 7th order Ambisonics! During developing the IEM Plug-in Suite (https://plugins.iem.at) I tested all of the plug-ins in Reaper.

Looking forward to interesting discussions!
RDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDan View Post
Very cool, thank you for triggering this! REAPER is my go to DAW for Ambisonic productions and imho there's no better DAW for that, especially because it supports 64 channels -> 7th order Ambisonics! During developing the IEM Plug-in Suite (https://plugins.iem.at) I tested all of the plug-ins in Reaper.

Looking forward to interesting discussions!
It's wonderful to have you posting here Daniel. I'm really hoping we can inspire many to get into Ambisonics through our discussions here. It is great to have both developers and end users on board. It's up to us all to get the word out and the time is ripe for Ambisonics right now given the support of big companies such as YouTube and Facebook who've adopted it as their chosen VR/3D format.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #7
JHughes
Banned

Congratulations Dave! It's not easy getting a new forum started here, look at how long it took moderators to implement the MIDI forum (a no-brainer if ever there was one).
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
Congratulations Dave! It's not easy getting a new forum started here, look at how long it took moderators to implement the MIDI forum (a no-brainer if ever there was one).
Ywah. Pretty happy about this and I let Justin know he'd made my day (week, month, year maybe?) setting this up for us.

I've sent a bunch of private messages to some who have been active with posting about Ambisonics letting them know of this new section. I've also sent out a few emails to others too.

If there's anyone you can think of who is interested in Ambisonics and other 3D audio formats, let them know too.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:11 AM   #9
JHughes
Banned

Will do!
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote