Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-11-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
SilverHawk
Human being with feelings

Default Status VST plugin resets every time Reaper is restarted

Hi,

I've been struggling for a few days with an issue with this VST plugin:

https://www.audioanimals.co.uk/shop/...ercussion-hits

Every time I open Reaper, I find that everything I configured in every instance of the plugin has reset - selected instrument, envelope, reverb, etc. It only happens with this plugin, and I believe I've ruled out any issues with the MIDI events. Are there any Reaper settings that might cause this? Any other ideas about why this might be happening?

Thank you!
SilverHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #2
juan_r

I can't offer a good answer because I don't have that plugin, but I've had similar issues with other VSTi's. Have you tried saving the state from the plugin itself and restoring it after loading the Reaper project? Sometimes it works.
juan_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:16 PM   #3
mschnell

Most plugins simply set and read their "DAW parameters" which Reaper can see and set and stores them in the project file.

But some Plugins use their own configuration files and might provide an option to save their state there, maybe automatic or triggered by a "save" user action.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:35 PM   #4
SilverHawk

Thanks for the responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
I can't offer a good answer because I don't have that plugin, but I've had similar issues with other VSTi's. Have you tried saving the state from the plugin itself and restoring it after loading the Reaper project? Sometimes it works.
Possibly - is this just pressing ctrl-S while the plugin window is open? I have tried that, but it brings up "Save FX Chain". Is that what you mean? I didn't see any kind of a save option in the plugin itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Most plugins simply set and read their "DAW parameters" which Reaper can see and set and stores them in the project file.

But some Plugins use their own configuration files and might provide an option to save their state there, maybe automatic or triggered by a "save" user action.

-Michael
This makes sense. Is there a way that I could go about verifying/eliminating one or the other? Sadly I wasn't able to find any documentation about the plugin that indicated anything like this.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:49 PM   #5
juan_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHawk View Post
Thanks for the responses!
Possibly - is this just pressing ctrl-S while the plugin window is open? I have tried that, but it brings up "Save FX Chain". Is that what you mean? I didn't see any kind of a save option in the plugin itself.
No. I was suggesting you save the plugin's "preset" (or patch, or whatever it's called) from within the plugin itself, to restore it the next time you load the plugin by opening the project. Basically, it's the same suggestion @mschnell offered. Are you sure the plugin can't save any data?
juan_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:51 PM   #6
Coachz

Quote:
Hi,

I've been struggling for a few days with an issue with this VST plugin:

https://www.audioanimals.co.uk/shop/...ercussion-hits

Every time I open Reaper, I find that everything I configured in every instance of the plugin has reset - selected instrument, envelope, reverb, etc. It only happens with this plugin, and I believe I've ruled out any issues with the MIDI events. Are there any Reaper settings that might cause this? Any other ideas about why this might be happening?

Thank you!
If it's a VST 3 version and you have a VST2 version try that
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:18 PM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
I wasn't able to find any documentation about the plugin
Dont use such stuff...
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 03:38 PM   #8
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Dont use such stuff...
-Michael
Not helpful
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
LucasMeneguette

IDK if I am understanding your problem correctly, but I found a simple workaround for force-saving buggy/demo plugins that won't let us load a saved preset. This is the case for the ToneBooster demo plugins, for example.

- Click the parameter you want to handle.
- Go to Param > Parameter modulation/MIDI link
- Enable LFO
- Set strength to 0%
- Set the baseline value
- Repeat to other parameters you want

Be happy 😃
LucasMeneguette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:10 PM   #10
SilverHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
No. I was suggesting you save the plugin's "preset" (or patch, or whatever it's called) from within the plugin itself, to restore it the next time you load the plugin by opening the project. Basically, it's the same suggestion @mschnell offered. Are you sure the plugin can't save any data?
Sorry, I'm new to this, so not totally sure I'm following - but I did try saving as a preset by clicking the plus sign at the top of the FX window. When I reopen Reaper, the name of the preset that I saved is there, but the values are all reset - specifically, attack, reverb, and most important, selected instrument sample. Is this what you meant, or am I still missing something?

(Edit: ) One upside though - if, on reopening, I manually select a different preset, then reselect the correct saved preset from the dropdown, that does appear to set all of the parameters correctly. So I no longer need to manually reset each parameter individually, which is definitely a plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
If it's a VST 3 version and you have a VST2 version try that
I only have a VST2 version, but thanks. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasMeneguette View Post
IDK if I am understanding your problem correctly, but I found a simple workaround for force-saving buggy/demo plugins that won't let us load a saved preset. This is the case for the ToneBooster demo plugins, for example.

- Click the parameter you want to handle.
- Go to Param > Parameter modulation/MIDI link
- Enable LFO
- Set strength to 0%
- Set the baseline value
- Repeat to other parameters you want

Be happy ��
Hm, I think I get what you mean, but the most important parameter I need to set is the selected instrument sample, and I don't see that one. The only parameters I see are the envelope parameters and a few others.

Last edited by SilverHawk; 07-18-2020 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Forgot an important point
Old 01-30-2024, 01:08 AM   #11
pavelb321

Default VST doesnt save settigs

Go to settings - Plugins - Сcmpatibility - remove mark from Disable saving full plug-in save
pavelb321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 02:24 AM   #12
RobertP

I have an FX that 'seems' to do this.
I mean, all the visuals, pots etc seem to have reverted to default state but they all actually worked as I left them tweaked. I didn't realise for ages but then tested by doing something outrageous with the FX.

Of course, this may be unique to the FX I used...
Haven't tried pavelb321's suggestion.