Old 07-09-2020, 03:44 AM   #1
lonnie sharpe
Human being with feelings

Default How do I time stretch?

How do I do a simple time stretch. I don't care about quantization or grids. All that does it makes it sound robotic. I am not worried if pitch is altered because I will adjust all of the audio in my project to the same ratios. I have an audio clip that is 3.8 seconds which is too slow and want it changed to 3.1 seconds. Simple. How do I do it?
lonnie sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:11 AM   #2
lonnie sharpe

If I have to I will export the wave and change the time in audacity and then go back to Reaper but if the program is so good then it should allow me to change the time from 3.8 seconds to 3.1 but yeah nothing is simple it seems. Everything has to be super complicated.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:17 AM   #3
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie sharpe View Post
Everything has to be super complicated.
Press Alt, hover the cursor over the end of the item. A little hand appears. Left-click and drag. Complicated?

You might want to turn snap off - top right of the screen, looks like a horseshoe magnet.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:51 AM   #4
lonnie sharpe

Cool thanks man that is actually easy and very nice way of doing it. Would help if it said that in the menu or on the tutorials on youtube. Easy. That's that part out of the way. Only issue with that though is I want everything to match the same pitch but not sure if the program remembers it for me.

Like in cool edit if I changed something from 3.4 seconds to 3.1 it would remember that ratio and apply it to the rest of the tracks if you get what I mean?

Anyway that switch sounds very smooth actually compared to cool edit. Sounds more natural
Old 07-09-2020, 05:00 AM   #5
lonnie sharpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
Press Alt, hover the cursor over the end of the item. A little hand appears. Left-click and drag. Complicated?

You might want to turn snap off - top right of the screen, looks like a horseshoe magnet.
Yeah, that works its just that I have like 3 chops that I need to change the time on and need them changed at accurate ratios so they all the same pitch. Guess I could put it all together then alter the time which would require doing some calculations but on cool edit it just remembered the ratios for me. Well it mentions the rate next to the file which is 1.272 so I just need to fix that rate to all my files if that makes sense.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:04 AM   #6
lonnie sharpe

Quote:

Cool I took the playrate and copy and pasted it and then added that to the other track so everything will be in the same speed. I assume thats the correct way of doing it? Well seems to work. Like a jig saw puzzle at this point but getting there.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:28 AM   #7
Fex

Quote:
Would help if it said that in the menu or on the tutorials on youtube.
There are a lot of tutorials on youtube - It'll be in there somewhere.

Quote:
I assume thats the correct way of doing it?
In Reaper, there are usually at least three ways of doing anything. The correct way is the one that suits you.

It's a good idea to set the project tempo to something sensible from the start.

Double click on an audio item to see Media Item Properties. You can change Playback rate, and there's a box you can check to Preserve pitch when changing rate.

See also File > New project tab - it's useful to have a sandbox project around when things start to get really complicated, and you can copy/cut and paste stuff from one project to another.

Last edited by Fex; 07-09-2020 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #8
lonnie sharpe

Quote:

Yeah, that works (sort of) but how do I move in small portions instead of it jumping from 3.5 seconds to 3 with no option to choose 3.25 or even smaller? Have attempted zoomning in but it still insists in skipping numbers.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:58 AM   #9
Fex

Quote:
Yeah, that works (sort of) but how do I move in small portions
I'd be snapping to bar lines at the correct tempo. It's much easier.

Double-click on the item to open Item properties, and enter your desired value for length.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:35 PM   #10
lonnie sharpe

Quote:

Double-click on the item to open Item properties, and enter your desired value for length.
Yeah, that will work. To be honest everything else is working fine on here but the only two issues are this and trimming. When I trim it either moves in large portions that doesn't allow me to cut precisely enough or it tries to fade out every time instead no matter where I hover the mouth. Everything else with the program is on point but the editing capabilities are not looking good.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #11
lonnie sharpe

Quote:

Anyway, the shift s works good for editing so just using that to trim the edges instead. Is there a shift + something else feature that lets me just delete a part off the end?

Yeah, once this part sorted then I should be able to make projects smoothly just trying to work out how to do these parts quick so I don't have a headache later on when I get back into it.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:07 PM   #12
Fex

Quote:
When I trim it either moves in large portions that doesn't allow me to cut precisely enough
Zoom, dude! It's also possible to cut imprecisely, then move the cut where you want it....
Quote:
or it tries to fade out every time instead no matter where I hover the mouth.
Yeah, people fade away pretty quickly when I hover my mouth near them, too. I'm not going to the right sort of parties, obviously.

Partly, it's a matter of getting used to it. Try pushing the fade handle out of the way (messing up the fade, of course), trimming the part, then putting the fade back.... I'd do something like that, but I don't know, you start to do this sort of thing without thinking about it after a while.

Quote:
Anyway, the shift s works good for editing so just using that to trim the edges instead. Is there a shift + something else feature that lets me just delete a part off the end?
I don't get it.... Shift + s won't let you do that?
Old 07-09-2020, 07:44 PM   #13
lonnie sharpe

Thanks for the tips man. Guess I just wanted to check that I wasn't doing anything the hard way. I will adjust. Just gotta' get used to some things but getting there. Only installed yesterday and worked out everything I need. The EQ on here is great.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:08 PM   #14
Fex

Quote:
Thanks for the tips man. Guess I just wanted to check that I wasn't doing anything the hard way.
Could be that everybody using Reaper is doing something the hard way. I'm sure I'm doing many things the hard way. You're probably doing nothing the easy way. But it works, so....