Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-09-2020, 11:41 PM   #1
sloppysam
Human being with feelings

Default Splitting items in only one track or take in time selection

I drove myself nuts yesterday trying to edit piece of spoken word. When I split a take within time selection, the other takes and the other tracks are split in the same place. The track and correct take were definitely selected. I am trying to set this up as part of a custom action to chop out errors and leave other takes, or even tracks if absolutely necessary, untouched. Please help before I break something in frustration!!
sloppysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:58 PM   #2
Pink Wool

Choose the ITEM (not tracks) you want split and it will only split it. AFAIK takes need to be exploded into different tracks to split them separately. This can be done by selecting the items, right clicking the items->Take->Explode all takes to new tracks.
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:07 AM   #3
sloppysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
Choose the ITEM (not tracks) you want split and it will only split it. AFAIK takes need to be exploded into different tracks to split them separately. This can be done by selecting the items, right clicking the items->Take->Explode all takes to new tracks.
Thanks for engaging. The trouble is that the item IS selected! That's why its doing my head in! The problem only occurs when trying to split within a time selection rather than at the cursor, if that helps...
Old 07-10-2020, 01:26 AM   #4
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppysam View Post
Thanks for engaging. The trouble is that the item IS selected! That's why its doing my head in! The problem only occurs when trying to split within a time selection rather than at the cursor, if that helps...
Is ONLY the item you want split, selected?
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:12 AM   #5
sloppysam

Yes, I can't tell you how many times i clicked on it to make sure. As i said, it seems to happen when i "split items in time selection" only
Old 07-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #6
Fex

You're sure the items affected aren't grouped?
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:39 AM   #7
sloppysam

yes. Definitely not grouped
Old 07-13-2020, 06:46 AM   #8
nicholas
Scribe

How exactly did you do it? Have you tried:

Select item
Make time selection
Right click, split item at time selection
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #9
carbon

Perhaps the confusion is about how takes work in Reaper?
They are supposed to all split even if one take is selected.
If you want to split only one take, you need to explode the takes to separate tracks first, or learn to live with the splits in all takes.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #10
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
Perhaps the confusion is about how takes work in Reaper?
They are supposed to all split even if one take is selected.
If you want to split only one take, you need to explode the takes to separate tracks first, or learn to live with the splits in all takes.
Ah yes, good call! Now that you say this, maybe the OP is talking about takes rather than items.

In that case, it seems like he's maybe recording different parts/voices/instruments as takes on one track rather than separate tracks, in which case, as you say, she/he needs to explode them to separate tracks.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:54 AM   #11
Beastmode Beats

Use dummy toggles, select all items is current time selection for selected track, SPLIT.

If the next action is on: dummy toggle 1, select all items in current time selection for selected tracks, end if.
If the next action is on:dummy toggle 1, split at edit cursor, end of conditional statement.
Beastmode Beats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 09:08 AM   #12
cimbian

I'm having the same problem.

I record multitrack on my Tascam Mixcast
I import the recording
I explode into 14 separate tracks
I remove all tracks from being a folder
ALL tracks, except track 1 of the 14 are removed
I'm now left with THREE tracks: 1) the recording (one solo track); 2) my jingle track. 3) my background music track

My automation is setting the time selection start and end points okay and using:
"Track: select track under mouse"

I want my custom action to ONLY split the selected (the voice) track but I can only see: "Item: Split items at the time selection".

The custom action is working all steps but I need the splits to be just on the selected track.

I should add that I do use "Item: Split item under mouse cursor" in other custom actions, but this means multiple operations for a time selection.

I've also included "Set ripple editing per-track" before using "Track: Select track under mouse".

Suggestions, please.

Thanks.

Last edited by cimbian; 08-12-2023 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Additional information.
cimbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 06:33 PM   #13
tlbooth

Default Split/delete in just one track with custom action

I have this same issue. I have several tracks in one project - various narration audio samples. The custom action below works fine with just one track in the project. I select the area to be deleted, hit the custom key and it splits the selection from the item, deletes within, glues the item at the split. But no matter what I do, if there is more than one track in the project, when I hit the custom shortcut key, it performs the action on all tracks. I make sure to select the track I want to work on first, before creating the item selection.

I have noticed that when I do this in individual steps, not using the shortcut, it works fine only if I make sure to click not just the correct track, but actually click on the item in said track However if I click on the track, but not item within the track, when I make the time selection, it selects that section on all tracks. This may be common knowledge but I am fairly new at Reaper.

But back to my main question: Is there another step I need to add to my Custom Action list to make this work? Or do I need to do this in individual steps? Just hoping there is a way to make my workflow more efficient when editing- please help!

My custom action is as follows:
- Set ripple editing to per track
- Item: split items within time selection
- Time: remove contents of selection (moving later items)
- Item: glue items within time selection
- Go to end of item selection
tlbooth is offline   Reply With Quote