Old 07-10-2017, 05:18 AM   #1
BCF1
Human being with feelings

Default FIRE FLIES (Metal)

Big thanks to mschuster for the killer chorus guitar melody and tons of advice.
(however he's not to blame for the mix)

https://soundcloud.com/wristlock/fire-flies

a different mix is here: https://www.reverbnation.com/wristlo...020-fire-flies

now the most recent mix is here: https://app.box.com/s/f8fz2vzxnoig9yvs7uyskxhx116jgtd2

Last edited by BCF1; 07-24-2017 at 02:32 PM.
BCF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
sammydix

Killer tune!! Vocals seem to be a bit high-midsy, but as for the song, there was nothing I didn't like.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
BCF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
Killer tune!! Vocals seem to be a bit high-midsy, but as for the song, there was nothing I didn't like.

Thanks Sammy

tweaked the mix some (same link)

Old 07-12-2017, 06:04 AM   #4
sammydix

Vocals are easier on the ears now. Before it had sort of a piercing quality when played loud. I don't have the old one to compare, but it sounds like you tweaked more than the vocals. What else did you do?
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:26 AM   #5
Judders

Awesome guitar chops!

It's a great tune, otherwise I wouldn't comment, but here's a my 2c of constructive criticism:

I don't know if it's the master, or soundcloud encoding, but there's real problems with the high frequencies, they've got that garbled low-bitrate swirliness. There's also big problems with the stereo image; sounds like an unlinked 2-bus compressor was involved because the centre image is drifting quite dramatically.

It feels to me like more differentiation between the verse and chorus vocals is needed; the chorus doesn't sound immediately obvious. Maybe add a layer of vocals to the choruses, or change the vocal treatment for them?

The solo shows off some awesome chops, but it lacks a bit of direction and shape. Sounds like there's lots of the neck going unused, it would take the listener on a more emotional journey through the solo if you use more of the guitar's range and have a clear "rocking in the middle range/going down low/rising to climax" kind of thing going on. This is the pot calling the kettle black, because I'm terrible for that which is why I'm always listening for it

Anyway, really great work man, well done!
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
Timothy Lawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF1 View Post
tweaked the mix some (same link)

I heard it before and again now. This is more balanced, especially the way the lead guitar meshes with the rest of the mix. Hot guitar playing!
Old 07-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #7
sammartin23

Not my music genre for sure but it sounded great through my small speakers I have hooked up to my laptop with a small sub. The mix seems to fit the genre. I love delay so the vocal echoes after the choruses are fantastic. The vocal level was good as was the lead guitar level and tone. One thing I might suggest just to add a slight dynamic change is to have a very brief full stop just prior to the 2nd verse, maybe with a reverb tail filling in the space. I can hear it in my head.

Overall sounds great, can tell you put some work into it!

Sam
sammartin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #8
BCF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
Vocals are easier on the ears now. Before it had sort of a piercing quality when played loud. I don't have the old one to compare, but it sounds like you tweaked more than the vocals. What else did you do?
Hey Sam
Your gonna shake your head when I tell you what I did to arrive at this current version.
That first one was somewhat fatiguing on the ears so just to mess around a bit I pulled that original .mp3 into a new project did some mostly subtractive EQ on the track and a bit o compression.
Then on the master I did basically the same thing only the EQ was boosting a touch here a there then last was a compessor/limiter.(I think)
I didn't even save the project being that I was just messin around with an .mp3 and figured I could do the same in the actual project or to a rendered .wav later.
I'll do one or the other here soon and that should improve the sound some.

Thanks bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Awesome guitar chops!

It's a great tune, otherwise I wouldn't comment, but here's a my 2c of constructive criticism:

I don't know if it's the master, or soundcloud encoding, but there's real problems with the high frequencies, they've got that garbled low-bitrate swirliness. There's also big problems with the stereo image; sounds like an unlinked 2-bus compressor was involved because the centre image is drifting quite dramatically.
It's possible these problems could be caused by or in the very least enhanced and made more noticable by the procees discribed above on the "remastering" of the original .mp3(which I realise is Not the thing to do)

I don't think I used a buss compressor in the "pseudo" remaster but I'm sure I used one in the track somewhere without real knowledge about where or how a buss compressor is most commonly used, let alone linked or un-linked.
My thought was buss compression = the compression built into each channel strip as you would find on say an analog mixer.

Will definitely have to do some research this.

Quote:
It feels to me like more differentiation between the verse and chorus vocals is needed; the chorus doesn't sound immediately obvious. Maybe add a layer of vocals to the choruses, or change the vocal treatment for them?

The solo shows off some awesome chops, but it lacks a bit of direction and shape. Sounds like there's lots of the neck going unused, it would take the listener on a more emotional journey through the solo if you use more of the guitar's range and have a clear "rocking in the middle range/going down low/rising to climax" kind of thing going on. This is the pot calling the kettle black, because I'm terrible for that which is why I'm always listening for it

Anyway, really great work man, well done!
I get what your saying about the verse/chorus transition and agree something should be done to differentiate or define the change.

The solo bit is fairly long, some parts thought out in advance the rest is off the cuff. I agree it seems to meander a bit. It could use some more thought to relay its part of the story with definition and authority.

Thanks for commenting Judders I appreciate it !!!

(listened to a few tracks on your soundcloud, lots of cool stuff that sounds great. Look forward to listening to more of your tracks soon)
Old 07-15-2017, 12:47 PM   #9
BCF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
I heard it before and again now. This is more balanced, especially the way the lead guitar meshes with the rest of the mix. Hot guitar playing!
THanks for checking it out and commenting Timothy, appreciate it !!!

(Listen to some of your material and talk about Hot guitar playing, WOW !!)

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammartin23 View Post
Not my music genre for sure but it sounded great through my small speakers I have hooked up to my laptop with a small sub. The mix seems to fit the genre. I love delay so the vocal echoes after the choruses are fantastic. The vocal level was good as was the lead guitar level and tone. One thing I might suggest just to add a slight dynamic change is to have a very brief full stop just prior to the 2nd verse, maybe with a reverb tail filling in the space. I can hear it in my head.

Overall sounds great, can tell you put some work into it!

Sam
Thanks Sam for having a listen and commenting, really appreciate it !!
Glad it sounds ok on your set up. I know how some people feel about the delay thing but I thought it was cool, good to know I'm not the only one.
You and Judders both mentioned some ideas to add more dynamics. I agree with you both and will try to make something happen along these lines.

So will hopefully have a new(final?) version posted up soon.

Thanks again guys for the comments !!!!!

Last edited by BCF1; 07-16-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #10
suleiman

Quote:
Big thanks to mschuster for the killer chorus guitar melody and tons of advice.
(however he's not to blame for the mix)

great production ! lovely 90's vibe

the compressions too bad on soundcloud and killing the song. go bandcamp and be nice to your music.

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:35 PM   #11
nero

Nice song and production, I'd personally liked more a slightly louder snare and a softer high end of the mix
nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:23 AM   #12
Judders

Quote:
It's possible these problems could be caused by or in the very least enhanced and made more noticable by the procees discribed above on the "remastering" of the original .mp3(which I realise is Not the thing to do)
Yep, processing an mp3 will exacerbate these problems quite dramatically.

Quote:
I don't think I used a buss compressor in the "pseudo" remaster but I'm sure I used one in the track somewhere without real knowledge about where or how a buss compressor is most commonly used, let alone linked or un-linked.
My thought was buss compression = the compression built into each channel strip as you would find on say an analog mixer.

Will definitely have to do some research this.
When I say "2-bus" I'm talking about the final stereo output and/or master. Stereo linking is how a compressor reacts to L&R levels. 100% linked means that gain reduction is the same L&R, unlinked is entirely separate gain reduction for L&R, which can make the centre image drift from side to side.

Quote:
Thanks for commenting Judders I appreciate it !!!

(listened to a few tracks on your soundcloud, lots of cool stuff that sounds great. Look forward to listening to more of your tracks soon)
Like I said, if I didn't think it was a cool tine I wouldn't ave commented at all.

And thanks for the kind comments about my music

Maybe some day you'd record a ripping guitar solo for one of my tunes? Love your chops
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #13
BCF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by suleiman View Post
great production ! lovely 90's vibe

the compressions too bad on soundcloud and killing the song. go bandcamp and be nice to your music.
Hey thanks man !!!
I was going for a C.O.C Deliverance/WiseBlood kind of thing which were both released in the 90's........... like this

https://youtu.be/rKPicUnsPPg?t=12s

yeah Soundcloud compression did me no favores with this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero View Post
Nice song and production, I'd personally liked more a slightly louder snare and a softer high end of the mix
I think I'm in agreement with you on both points

Thanks nero !!!!
Old 07-16-2017, 10:44 PM   #14
BCF1

Quote:
When I say "2-bus" I'm talking about the final stereo output and/or master. Stereo linking is how a compressor reacts to L&R levels. 100% linked means that gain reduction is the same L&R, unlinked is entirely separate gain reduction for L&R, which can make the centre image drift from side to side.
Thanks for the explanation, I will explore this further

Quote:
Like I said, if I didn't think it was a cool tine I wouldn't ave commented at all.

And thanks for the kind comments about my music
Thank you and I liked all that I heard of yours so far !!

Quote:
Maybe some day you'd record a ripping guitar solo for one of my tunes? Love your chops
Absolutely !!! I would certainly like to try anyway
Old 07-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #15
mschuster

One word: KILLER!
mschuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #16
BCF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschuster View Post