Old 10-30-2011, 05:10 AM   #1
ruskin
Human being with feelings

Default How do I snap to previous item?

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is a really obvious question but I've spent hours trying to figure this out. I make radio programmes and use SADiE and Pro Tools. Both of these have a option to snap a media item to previous item in that track. In SADiE it's called 'Remove Gap' in Pro Tools it's called 'Snap To Previous Item'. (There's also a 'Snap to next item')

I use this feature constantly and it avoids having to manually move a media item and the fiddlyness of getting it to butt exactly without cross fading or leaving a small gap.

As I am making speech programmes I don't have a tempo or snap to grid setting

I realise ripple editing gets part of the way towards this but it doesn't allow two different items on one track to be quickly moved together. Many radio producers I know use Sadie's remove gap command in conjunction with slip option (equivalent to ripple editing in Reaper). Pro Tools implementation of it is not so user friendly as it won't easily move all media on other tracks. If this is possible in Reaper, I know a lot of Sadie-trained radio producers who'd be very interested in escaping the prohibitive expense of Sadie and the real time bounce of Pro Tools..

Sorry if this is a stupid question!
ruskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
beingmf

Not sure if there's already an action (SWS?) for it, but a macro could be a proper workaround (move cursor right to edge of item - select next item - move selected item's left edge to edit cursor) – somtehing like this...
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:42 AM   #3
ruskyn

thanks! i guess I'll have to get under the bonnet and see what I can make. What I'm trying to achieve is sort of the reverse to what you outline.

The functionality would be:

- select media item which you want to move
- move it to the right to snap to previous item

I guess I could make do with the way you put it though. If anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears!
ruskyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:48 AM   #4
EricM

In Reaper it's called "snap media items to nearby media items",
it's a preference in Snap Settings, right click the snap button
in the main toolbar to access them.

e

Last edited by EricM; 10-31-2011 at 05:06 AM. Reason: spelling
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:05 AM   #5
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
In Reaper it's called "snap media items to nearby media items",
it's a preferences in Snap Settings, right click the snap button
in the main toolbar to access them.

e
wow! never seen this – thanks!!
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Tod

Hi ruskin,

If you just want to select an item and have it move to the end of the previous item, this macro might work.

> Time selection; Remove time selection
> Item navigation; Select and move to previous item
> Time selection; Set time selection to items
> Item navigation; Select and move to next item
> Go to end of time selection
> Xenakios/SWS; Move selected items to edit cursor

Notice that "Item navigation; Select and move to previous item" is listed twice. For some reason it needs to be that way to work properly.

To use it, just select the item you want to move and run the macro.

Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
ruskyn

Hi Tod,

Finally had a chance to try this. It's awesome thanks. There's just one problem - it doesn't follow ripple mode. So even if ripple is turned on it doesn't move any of the other clips with it at the same time. Any way to add this to the macro? then it'd be perfect.. I'm still mightily impressed with Reaper though - all it needs is a trim editor and it surpasses Sadie..

best,

Ruskyn
Old 11-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
gofer
-blänk-

"Select and move to previous (next) item" depends on where your edit cursor is to start with. Eg, if your cursor is to the left of your selected item doing that action twice will jump one item too many for your purpose. Better to use "Move cursor to start of items" and then only a single instance of "Select and move to previous item".

I didn't find a way to make it obey ripple. In fact, no action to move items seems to. Never came across that question, but it doesn't feel quite right.

Everybody has their own "all it needs is..." . Best thing would be to open a thread in feature request forum and explain what a trim editor should do, possibly with an example of why it's an awesome feature to have.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
"Select and move to previous (next) item" depends on where your edit cursor is to start with. Eg, if your cursor is to the left of your selected item doing that action twice will jump one item too many for your purpose. Better to use "Move cursor to start of items" and then only a single instance of "Select and move to previous item".
Hey gofer, I was wondering about that and now it makes sense. Still could pose a problem though couldn't it if your cursor is to the left and no item is selected? Either way it assumes the item you want to move is selected and "Move cursor to start of items" would be the best.

Quote:
I didn't find a way to make it obey ripple. In fact, no action to move items seems to. Never came across that question, but it doesn't feel quite right.

Everybody has their own "all it needs is..." . Best thing would be to open a thread in feature request forum and explain what a trim editor should do, possibly with an example of why it's an awesome feature to have.
I almost never use Ripple but I would think even actions should work with it.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
ruskyn

thanks for this. I tried to adapt the macro and find a command something like "select all items on all tracks to the right of the edit cursor" which would get around ripple not working with it but couldn't find anything that did this. Any ideas?

re trim editor - I'll post something up about it in future - it's invaluable for speech radio editing for things like de-umming. It's basically a way to zoom in and preview the in and out of an edit point and finely adjust it.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
ruskyn

re trim editor - i now see it's been mentioned before

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=20072
Old 11-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #12
gofer
-blänk-

Yep, the name "Select and move to previous item" is kind of misleading, IMO. If the cursor is anywhere to the right of the start of the selected item, the action will move the cursor to the start of the selected item and keep it selected (which is why you used it twice). Similarly, "Select and move to previous item" does this if the cursor is anywhere to the left of the start of the selected item.

How would you think Reaper should decide which item to move if none is selected? I think it's ok to assume a selected item for an action like this.

In any case, I haven't found a macro which does it conveniently. This method also won't work with multiple selection (moving several selected items relative, so the first one snaps to the previous item's egde - sort of ripple but with selection).
I guess with ReaScript it could be done a bit better, but not sure whether it can be made to properly obey ripple setting.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #13
Tod

Hey ruskyn, there is an action you can add to the macro.

Item navigation: Select and move to next item

Put that at the bottom of the macro and you should be able to just keep clicking your shortcut key until you get all the items moved.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:32 AM   #14
ruskyn

Hi Gofer

If I understand you correctly, the way I'm trying to get it to work you do indeed have to select the item you want to snap to previous item before running the macro. This is the same functionality as Pro Tools 'snap to previous item' and Sadie's 'remove gap' command.

Tod:
I'll have a try with that. It's not ideal as in a speech radio documentary for example there are commonly tens of items to the right.

I did think of including something like a 'group all items on all tracks to the right' after 'select and move to next item' which would mean everything would get moved then have a final line 'ungroup selected items' after moving. But the sticking point is there doesn't seem to be any way to select all items to the right of the cursor. No idea of the etiquette but does anyone think this is worth a feature request? Or is it simpler to ask for ripple editing to work with Actions?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskyn View Post
Tod:
I'll have a try with that. It's not ideal as in a speech radio documentary for example there are commonly tens of items to the right.
If you want to put all the items back to back it's pretty fast. I assigned the custom action to K and then selected the first item I wanted to move. Then I just held K down until all the items were back to back. It took less than 3 or 4 seconds to put 32 items back to back. The final macro I ended up with is this:

> Item navigation; Move cursor to start of items
> Item navigation: Select and move to next item

Old 10-29-2017, 07:30 AM   #16
endorka

Brilliant Tod, just what I was looking for thank you :-)

Cheers,
Jennifer
Old 02-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #17
shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
If you want to put all the items back to back it's pretty fast. I assigned the custom action to K and then selected the first item I wanted to move. Then I just held K down until all the items were back to back. It took less than 3 or 4 seconds to put 32 items back to back. The final macro I ended up with is this:

thank you 2011
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:52 AM   #18
vanhaze

Maybe checkout these great Actions also:

Script: X-Raym_Snap selected items to the previous item end on their track.eel
Script: X-Raym_Move selected items to next item on their track.lua

Very powerful !
I use them all the time, when doing narration editing.

- You need the free ReaPack installed for these Actions to be available to ya:
www.reapack.com

Kudos to X-Raym !
Old 02-06-2018, 08:26 AM   #19
shady

thank you 2018!
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #20
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post

Very powerful !

www.reapack.com

Kudos to X-Raym !
Thanks vanhaze, I'll have to check those out.

However, one thing that works for me is to disable the "Gridlines", but enable "Snap", then when I drag one item into another, they click right together. Also I've found that I can move items up and down vertically and they will maintain it's horizontal position.

One thing I've found in working with videos and dialog, I often have to move video items and dialog items at the same time so that they will only Snap to one item or another, usually the video item, while the other items retain their relative positions. Also the dialog track will usually have several items that are spaced apart some. Will these scripts move all the items, but just snap the front item, leaving the relative spacing of the following items?

Even if not, these X-Raym scripts will be good to have.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #21
ruskyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post

Very powerful !

www.reapack.com

Kudos to X-Raym !
Just tried this and its tantalisingly close to what I've been looking for.

But not quite.

It will move selected items on the track to the previous item but it won't move items on other tracks. So in a radio or podcast edit - other speakers on other tracks get overlapped.

I've tried a few ways of selected all the items across tracks but it just won't move items on other tracks. Is there another version of this that moves all items on other tracks too?

The search continues - looking back on this thread I've been wanting this feature for 7 years.. !
Old 05-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #22
ruskyn

Scratch last message - I've just found the answer. There's a paid for custom script linked to on this thread sponsored by another ex-bbc radio person:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....ighlight=sadie

This is the script and it does exactly what I need. Worth every penny.
https://www.extremraym.com/en/downlo...ipple-editing/
Old 09-23-2018, 02:48 PM   #23
pwwsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post

Thanks so much!!!
pwwsun is offline   Reply With Quote