Old 10-23-2021, 01:27 PM   #1
jm67
Human being with feelings

Default Sunday Driving - semi-primative indie rock

Recorded this song over the last week (got a bit of an assist from a friend on the vocals) after messing about with good ol' DADGAD tuning. Any advice on the mix is appreciated - I'm not sure I successfully tamed the bass enough. It's got sort of a 90's indie vibe - maybe Yo La Tengo influences in part.

https://soundcloud.com/jm67dc/sunday...31b92bad107333
jm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:52 AM   #2
DrGed

Nice track. I think you've got the vibe you were aiming for. As for the mix... ...I'm no expert at all but I'd say there's nothing seriously wrong with the mix : some might suggest the odd "tweak" but I don't see the need for any major changes.
DrGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:55 PM   #3
Stinger

Entertaining song. Sort of indie / pop, to me.

Gotta say, had to strain to make out the lyrics in first couple of verses - the instrumental (guitar?/bass?) melody seems to be matched with the vocal melody. Contrast that to a verse near the end when the instrumentation is intentionally more punctuated - lyrics very clear there.

Not that you should punctuate the earlier section at all - but maybe alter the instrumental melody line, or just tone it down some to keep from competing with the vocal. That 2nd option may be the easier change to make at this point.

Then again, my ears are not the same as other ears (in many ways). BTW, listening through headphones.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:37 PM   #4
jm67

Thanks for the feedback. Yes the verse does double the bass/chord line. I tried a more complex melody but I liked the “basic” approach as a contrast to the chorus. But I can try to separate them more in the mix.
jm67 is offline   Reply With Quote