Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-23-2021, 07:54 AM   #1
Funkybot
Human being with feelings

Default WinUI - Opportunity to Update Reaper's Look on Windows?

I asked Microsoft's Pete Brown on GearSpace if there was any chance that Windows 11 would address how legacy dialogs, menus, buttons, etc. are drawn/respond to dark mode...specifically in the hope that one day, Microsoft will implement something that will allow Reaper to use Windows for drawing these things but in a more modern look. Pete's response is here:

https://gearspace.com/board/showpost...7&postcount=45

In it he points to WinUI:

https://microsoft.github.io/microsoft-ui-xaml/

It's described as...
Quote:
"WinUI offers a state-of-the-art UI framework for all Windows apps across both desktop (Win32) and UWP.

It provides a way to gradually migrate existing apps written in familiar technologies like MFC, WinForms, and WPF, allowing you to move these applications forward at your own pace. It also supports familiar languages spanning C++, C#, Visual Basic, and even Javascript via React Native for Windows."
...is there hope that WinUI will finally allow for Reaper on Windows to look comparable to Reaper on Mac?
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:02 AM   #2
_Stevie_

Wow, that's amazing, 1st, that Pete Brown is on GearSpace, and 2nd that there seems to be a way to finally dress Reaper in a more modern way. Will read the whole thread...

Last edited by _Stevie_; 07-24-2021 at 06:57 AM.
_Stevie_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:09 AM   #3
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Wow, that's amazing, 1st, the Pete Brown is on GearSpace, and 2nd that there seems to be a way to finally dress Reaper in a more modern way. Will read the whole thread...
Pete is a regular over there in Windows and some synth threads. And he's super responsive. Class act.

I don't know what it would entail for Reaper to implement WinUI so I don't want to get anyone's hopes up...might never happen. But I sure hope so! Or something like it.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:38 PM   #4
Vagalume

Can any of you explain this to me?

"If it looks like old Windows 95 style, then they haven't set the correct flags when creating the dialog."
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:43 PM   #5
Chimpscookie

I'm about to give up using dark themes in reaper for windows. Also thinking about getting an OSX on my next purchase because they got their shit right.
Chimpscookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
wilssantos

Reaper is looking really nice on Windows 11. The windows are now following the OS' rounded corners and white bezels, so they look much more refined than on Windows 10. I don't think dark mode is working within reaper though; but the overall looks are much better.
wilssantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:07 AM   #7
Flaneurette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpscookie View Post
I'm about to give up using dark themes in reaper for windows. Also thinking about getting an OSX on my next purchase because they got their shit right.
What's wrong?

Perhaps try my Nano Theme: https://i.imgur.com/Jhh7fMO.png

ThemeZip: https://stash.reaper.fm/31104/Nano.ReaperThemeZip

Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:17 AM   #8
Flaneurette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post
Can any of you explain this to me?

"If it looks like old Windows 95 style, then they haven't set the correct flags when creating the dialog."
Don't understand that either... maybe they mean Reaper 1.x theme? the white one.

Perhaps they mean the Chrome of Reaper. But that doesn't bother me at all. Rarely look at it.

-

Last edited by Flaneurette; 10-23-2021 at 10:22 AM.
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:33 AM   #9
Daodan

Interesting
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #10
wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneurette View Post
What's wrong?

The following images feel wrong to me, the OP and many other users too I assume :

----------

----------

----------

----------

----------

On those, Windows is set to dark mode. Granted, the window title bars are white only because they were inactive (due to the snipping tool), but all the other white / light UI parts are just like this.

From now on (Windows 11), regular desktop applications can make use of the OS to build UIs with dark-mode-aware components. If the glaringly light parts of the UI can't be themed (there may be very legitimate reasons that explain why those parts are delegated to the OS rather than the theme engine) then it would be way more comfortable to the eyes if they were made aware of the dark mode in the OS.
wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:36 AM   #11
Daodan

I'll be soooooo happy if that happens!
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:47 AM   #12
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpscookie View Post
Having bought & used both Mac and PC, make sure you examine the pluses and minuses of BOTH systems before you switch.

I have found a lot of minuses on the mac stuff that was not immediately obvious.

FWIW I would love to unload my 2011 Mac Mini Server, but it IS a useful emergency computer if ever my PC dies. I have both connected to a 30" multi input monitor & can switch between them with a push of one button on the monitor.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:15 PM   #13
wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daodan View Post
I'll be soooooo happy if that happens!
My eyes will be much happier too, and so will I and many others. For various reasons a dark theme is a must for me so as long as the OS-generated components are white the eye fatigue will be real.
wave is offline   Reply With Quote