Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 11-17-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
charles.monteiro
Human being with feelings

Default Minimum requirements to run Reaper on OS X

I have an old G4 Dual Processor 5oomhz. Apparently, I can't install OS X Leopard, so I guess my only option then is Tiger ? 10.4 I believe. Sorry, been out of the MAC world for a bit. How well will Reaper run on this. I would plan to use it as the sampler workstation i.e. a sampler's output would be piped out to my PC based DAW. Obviously, this would depend on the sampler as well , I'm trying to figure out if the G4 can still be a viable production asset or should I just turn it into my web station? This also assumes that I can slave one Reaper to another Reaper on a different box.

thanks
charles.monteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Christophe
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles.monteiro View Post
I'm trying to figure out if the G4 can still be a viable production asset or should I just turn it into my web station?
A 500mhz G4? I'd say turn it into a web station cause I don't really see that as a "viable production asset".
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
LOSER

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showpost...97&postcount=1

Justin said "Requires G4/G5 or Intel Mac, OS X 10.4.x." ... what ever that means ... but yeah 500MHz is indeed weak for audio applications.
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
guitar junkie

If I can run Reaper on a G3 just fine, then I would say at least try it on your G4 just to check it out.... RAM might be your only big problem.

I have 700Mhz machine with about 640MB of RAM and I was able to run some decent tracks on it, although I was not using any major plugins, but it was a rather high sample rate.
guitar junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
charles.monteiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
A 500mhz G4? I'd say turn it into a web station cause I don't really see that as a "viable production asset".
Fine, I just didn't do much with it when I bought it, my day gig situation was too intense. As it is my PC i.e. the Core2 Duo handles everything just fine. I'll probably then just beef that up i.e. when the Core Quad Extremes come down in price and I'll also just add another 2 gig of ram.

I'll turn the G4 into a Linux box. thanks.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:08 PM   #6
Greg Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
I'm not sure about the G4 issue but your avatar is SCHMOKIN' HOT!!!
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
eeb

i'm in a similar situation... unfortunately my pc just died on me. I'm used to working with adobe audition but with out a pc won't be able to do it (thanks adobe.. jerks)

I have an old g4 450 with 1 gig of ram.. I'm kinda stuck with it until I can save for a new computer (i'm too broke from buying other gear)

I'm working with a delta 1010 which my g4 is more than enough to run but i'm looking for a DAW to use..

I still think i might be better off trying to find an older version of cubase or something that was actually designed to work with my machine. Unless reaper might get the job done.... I just have some projects coming up and realistically I won't be able to afford a new computer any time soon.. (i wanna stay far away from pc's so i'm looking at a new mac pro quad core.. but that's lots of $$)

any thoughts
eeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:00 PM   #8
charles.monteiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeb View Post
i'm in a similar situation... unfortunately my pc just died on me. I'm used to working with adobe audition but with out a pc won't be able to do it

any thoughts
A Mac Pro is essentially a PC , I built myself a custom PC Core2 Duo system and I'm extremely happy with it, and for quite a bit less than a Mac Pro. Also, when the price is right and when I need to scale up I'm going to drop in another 2 gigs of ram and get a Core2 quad extreme. In anycase , I am not trying to push PCs over Macs , just think that the MAC thing is over hyped and over prized, and I personally think that there's is a lot of flexibility in software/hardware choices on the Windows/PC side, but each to his own ...

I don't know what to do about my G4, in my case I would need to buy more ram , its only got 256mb.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #9
eeb

i've worked extensively with both pc and mac. In the end they're simply tools to get the job done. I've had extremly bad luck with pc's in the past but there's nothing wrong with pc's .. as long as you don't ever connect it to the internet your fine. :P

I'm not really interested in a pc vs. mac debate because the reality of the situation is i no longer have a working pc but i do have a working g4.. and i'm hoping to get by using that until i can afford a better computer.. have you tried running reaper on your mac yet?
eeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:07 AM   #10
charles.monteiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeb View Post
i've worked extensively with both pc and mac. In the end they're simply tools to get the job done. I've had extremly bad luck with pc's in the past but there's nothing wrong with pc's .. as long as you don't ever connect it to the internet your fine. :P

I'm not really interested in a pc vs. mac debate because the reality of the situation is i no longer have a working pc but i do have a working g4.. and i'm hoping to get by using that until i can afford a better computer.. have you tried running reaper on your mac yet?
well, sure, if you use IE and Outlook to connect to the Internet , I just know better , for security I always have preferred Linus tho, in anycase, especially in the recent past with ASIO and the ton of apps and VSTs that have sprouted out, the PC context gives me extreme flexibility, many software vendors now code first for Windows and then secondly for the MAC, and that in of itself has opened things up. But no, I'm not trying to push PCs , its just that the hype of MACs is just annoying, but enough of that. To put Reaper on I first need to upgrade to 10.4 and at the same time buy ram to do that, it seems that I can't slave Reaper to Reaper i.e. via sempte or mtc, so I need to look into this further. I do have a license of Cubase VST , not sure what version running on the MAC and if I can't slave Reaper to Reaper and if it won't run well, I may just want to stay on OS 9 and keep Cubase running, its a pain, my Core2 Duo PC runs like a dream, so its not a pressing thing for me although I would like to somehow not loose my investment on the G4.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #11
Alex Stone

Charles, i've been running Reaper on a g4 laptop (alongside using Reap in Linux and Win), with 512mb ram (833mhz). Goes fine so far, given the development cycle of Reap.

If you're thinking of using it to 'play' with, why not marry Reap up with a soundfont player like SimpleSynth, set up a couple of templates, and use it as a 'quick draft' box? Then you're not belting it to death, and still writing music. I upped mine to 10.4, just to try Reap out, and it's doing well, along with handling email, net, etc..

Works for me.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #12
charles.monteiro

I know I can't run Leopard with my dual G4 500mhz, so can I actaully buy 10.4 from Mac ? I tried looking granted I gave up quickly. Ram is pretty cheap. Your solution would be a win win if Reaper could slave to itself. Not sure how much I can buy 10.4 , if don't have to upgrade my CPU and still manage to leverage the G4 somehow, I will be happy enough. Certainly, an idea, perhaps even the overall easiest to implement i.e. given that I can actually get a copy of 10.4
Old 12-06-2007, 07:41 AM   #13
Alex Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles.monteiro View Post
I know I can't run Leopard with my dual G4 500mhz, so can I actaully buy 10.4 from Mac ? I tried looking granted I gave up quickly. Ram is pretty cheap. Your solution would be a win win if Reaper could slave to itself. Not sure how much I can buy 10.4 , if don't have to upgrade my CPU and still manage to leverage the G4 somehow, I will be happy enough. Certainly, an idea, perhaps even the overall easiest to implement i.e. given that I can actually get a copy of 10.4
I haven't tried this with the latest Reap in osx, but i know in
win you can rewire another instance of Reap to itself.
I experimented with this a while ago as a possible alternative to 'folder in folder', but you can only open one instance of Reap>rewire>Reap, so i was short three more for orchestral sections.

Maybe one of the more regular osx users with 10.4 could give a clue as to whether this is possible, and if core audio (or soundflower) can handle more than one instance of Reaper open at once.

Did you know that the 'Jack' server is also available for osx? Maybe this would provide an additional option as well.

Alex.