Old 03-26-2021, 03:23 AM   #1
dook41
Human being with feelings

Default OSC Syntaxs For track names

I hate to ask such a simple question but searching and trying on my own I haven't been able to source this. Question:

Trying to select a track using OSC from device to reaper, by the tracks name. I can make this work fine with track number

/device/track/select/1

If my tracks name is 'test', how would I just select that? As well in the same address is it possible to add an action? So select track 'test' and run this action. Seems simple enough...?

On another note, how have others learned reaper/ osc syntax stuff? The OSC site which is referenced a bunch of places is down, and I'm learning most stuff mid stream. Loads of great answers and questions here on the forum, but trying to learn to fish vs ask each every simple question. Thanks!
dook41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:52 AM   #2
goldenarpharazon

Selection by track number is how Reaper's OSC has been implemented, so this is correct. AFAIK there is no select by name.

To learn: Read the .ReaperOSC file for guidance on the allowable syntax of messages and the associated Reaper functionality. Look for others' code for similar OSC messages using the forum. Experiment and observe what happens in Reaper, and observe any feedback from Reaper in response to the command.

OSC messages for reaper that sends string parameters will begin with a letter "s" in the .ReaperOSC file.

An action would be a separate subsequent OSC message. The messages that Reaper will respond to are defined by, and restricted to those .ReaperOSC.
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:21 AM   #3
dook41

Good to know, thanks! Yea and testing the messages I saw in ReaperOSC like: s/track/name, I haven't seen any result in unfortunately. Hoped it was syntax but seems not.

As well yea, been digging around in Open Stage, and ReaperOSC, I guess I'll just learn more through osmosis of that. Everything on the forum here is great, but very scattered obviously!

Curious if there is any better way to get a specific track (if by GUID, or any other means). I want to have buttons that select specific tracks and perform a specific action, i.e. toggles their view in tcp/ mcp, and enables the fx. The custom action is easy, triggering the action from OSC is easy, getting a button to select the specific track like 'vox', and then performing that action on 'vox' seems more difficult than I would have assumed.

Thanks for the response!
Old 03-26-2021, 05:35 AM   #4
dook41

Yea, so based on the documentation (unless I am completely misreading) is it should be possible, it just isnt. Its also flagged in the long thread about OSC bugs and feature requests (does cockos read this?).

# Example: TRACK_NAME s/track/name s/track/@/name
# The device sends /track/3/name "vox" to rename track 3 in REAPER, or /track/name
# "vox" to rename the track that is currently selected in the device. REAPER sends
# /track/3/name "vox" to report that name of track 3 is "vox". If track 3 is
# currently selected in the device, REAPER will also send /track/name "vox".

There are some renaming examples with name selection that just don't work, seems others found that too, unfortunately.

Last edited by dook41; 03-26-2021 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Mis quote on the Default.ReaperOSC