Old 10-06-2020, 03:02 PM   #41
X-Raym
Human being with feelings

If you need more exemple or detailes infos about how I use my preset script system, let me know !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:06 PM   #42
sonictim

If you need any guinnea pigs for macOS support trials, I'm happy to volunteer.

I looked at your code to see if I could figure it out, and I'm close, but I'm not so good with all the lua regex equivalent (or regular regex) type stuff, but I'm learning!

~T
sonictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:33 PM   #43
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonictim View Post
If you need any guinnea pigs for macOS support trials, I'm happy to volunteer.

I looked at your code to see if I could figure it out, and I'm close, but I'm not so good with all the lua regex equivalent (or regular regex) type stuff, but I'm learning!

~T
Thx sonictim! I'll meet a friend with a Mac on the weekend, then I'll get a picture of what needs to be done. Hopefully most of the Linux stuff just works. I'll let you guys know as soon as I have something that could potentially work on OSX
Old 10-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #44
sonictim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Thx sonictim! I'll meet a friend with a Mac on the weekend, then I'll get a picture of what needs to be done. Hopefully most of the Linux stuff just works. I'll let you guys know as soon as I have something that could potentially work on OSX
I tried removing the bit about preventing it from running on MacOS and... well.. yup... it still didn't work, but at least I got it to try! It seems pretty close.. I feel like if I could just figure out what it was doing in the other OSes, I might be able to help get it to do the same in Mac, but currently don't have the time for that..

I should also mention I'm running Catalina (ooh, the dreaded Catalina) so if your friend isn't running that, definitely let me know and I can try on my version too as Catalina is well... different...
Old 10-06-2020, 04:24 PM   #45
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae.Thomas View Post
it says its downloading, I get the prompt from windows to allow it, and then restarts with the old version.
Same here.
(minus the prompt to allow it because my portable install is on D: )
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:35 PM   #46
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
When the script is run as/inside a global startup action, it will notify you ONCE when a new Reaper version is published (release/pre-release/RC). You can then choose to install or just go through the changelog (or dismiss the dialog)

Seems like the issue on your end is that it's installing reaper in the wrong location. Which is kind of weird since it should install it where your reaper.exe is located (API: reaper.GetExePath). I'm using this so that it always updates the running Reaper, but maybe I'm missing something here.
I have a couple of different installs.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:36 PM   #47
Jae.Thomas

also, it keeps triggering even though I have hte latest
Old 10-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #48
FeedTheCat

Could either of you please enable debugging inside the script (local debug = true) and send me the output? (Maybe in a private message). Also the output of it run as a startup action would be nice (if it shows even though there is no update). There's seems to be something wrong with portable installs that I can't replicate. Thx!
Old 10-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #49
nofish

Could it be because of spaces in the filepath?
I just made a new portable Reaper install in C:/Reaper, where your script works fine.
But in my actual (in use) portable install which is at D:/Reaper 6 x64 it doesn't work (see previous post).

(If that's not it I'll see if I can PM you the debug log tomorrow.)

edit:
Nope, if I rename the folder to D:/Reaper_6_x64 it doesnt work either with this install.

Last edited by nofish; 10-06-2020 at 05:58 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:21 AM   #50
Jae.Thomas

after saving changes:

Code:
STARTING...
Executing command:
cmd.exe  /Q /C  echo %TEMP%
Return value:
C:\Users\JASONB~1\AppData\Local\Temp
Startup Mode: Script has already been started
Startup Mode: false
Executing command:
cmd.exe  /Q /C  echo check_update > C:\Users\JASONB~1\AppData\Local\Temp\reaper_uutil_step.txt

STEP check_update
Executing command:
cmd.exe  /Q /C  powershell.exe -windowstyle hidden (new-object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadFile('https://www.reaper.fm/download.php', 'C:\Users\JASONB~1\AppData\Local\Temp\reaper_uutil_main.html') && powershell.exe -windowstyle hidden (new-object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadFile('https://www.landoleet.org/', 'C:\Users\JASONB~1\AppData\Local\Temp\reaper_uutil_dev.html') && echo display_update > C:\Users\JASONB~1\AppData\Local\Temp\reaper_uutil_step.txt || echo err_internet > C:\Users\JASONB~1\AppData\Local\Temp\reaper_uutil_step.txt

STEP display_update
User exit...
upon first instantiation:

Code:
Return value:
9:23:20 AM
Executing command:
cmd.exe  /Q /C  cd C:\Portable Programs\Reaper (x64) && forfiles /M reaper.ini /C "cmd /c echo @ftime"
Return value:
9:23:32 AM
Start time (raw): 9:23:20 AM
Load time (raw): 9:23:32 AM
Curr time (raw): AM
Start time: 33800.0
Load time: 33812.0
Curr time: 86400
Start diff: 52600 / 90
Load diff: 52588 / 2
Executing command:
cmd.exe  /Q /C  echo check_update > C:\Users\JASONB~1\AppData\Local\Temp\reaper_uutil_step.txt

STEP check_update
Executing command:
cmd.exe  /Q /C  powershell.exe -windowstyle hidden (new-object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadFile('https://www.reaper.fm/download.php', 'C:\Users\JASONB~1\AppData\Local\Temp\reaper_uutil_main.html') && powershell.exe -windowstyle hidden (new-object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadFile('https://www.landoleet.org/', 'C:\Users\JASONB~1\AppData\Local\Temp\reaper_uutil_dev.html') && echo display_update > C:\Users\JASONB~1\AppData\Local\Temp\reaper_uutil_step.txt || echo err_internet > C:\Users\JASONB~1\AppData\Local\Temp\reaper_uutil_step.txt

STEP display_update
and then after running it:

Code:
Executing command:
cmd.exe  /Q /C  cd C:\Portable Programs\Reaper (x64) && forfiles /M reaper.ini /C "cmd /c echo @ftime"
Return value:
9:22:28 AM
Start time (raw): 9:22:13 AM
Load time (raw): 9:22:28 AM
Curr time (raw): AM
Start time: 33733.0
Load time: 33748.0
Curr time: 86400
Start diff: 52667 / 90
Load diff: 52652 / 2
Executing command:

STEP check_update
Executing command:

STEP display_update
Old 10-07-2020, 08:49 AM   #51
lb0

This worked well on my laptop on the work network. But at home on my studio PC - I always get Download failed. Sometimes it successfully reads the updates - so I get to select between release and dev versions - but then it either gets stuck on Downloading, or I get a pop up message saying Download failed.

My internet is working and on (wired) - and it obviously manages to sometimes pull something down the line - as I sometimes get the version options.

Any ideas?
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #52
FeedTheCat

Hi guys, thx for the reports! I just pushed a small update with some fixes for Windows. The script had issues with installations that were not in drive C:\. I would be surprised though if this fixes all the reported issues with portable installs. I sadly still can't replicate the problem, so I guess I'll put some work in better debugging output.

@Jae.Thomas (btw which of the two is your first name? )
Your report helped me find a bug in the startup usage. Hopefully that part will work now. If the new update doesn't change anything, you can try to change line 450 to this (just remove the /S):

Code:
local cmd = '%s%s /D=%s & cd /D %s & start reaper.exe'
The /S stands for silent, so when it is removed the installer should show its GUI. I'm curious if it works like that...

@lb0
Any difference between the systems you can think of? Maybe antivirus is blocking the download?

If you uncomment line 540, the script will use a different method of downloading (Invoke-Webrequest instead of Net.WebClient). Maybe that works better for some reason.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:08 AM   #53
Meo-Ada Mespotine

@FeedTheCat

Where do you put the downloaded file so they can check, if it's there at all?
Checking if the download worked in the first place could limit the possible bug-sources...

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:34 AM   #54
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
@FeedTheCat

Where do you put the downloaded file so they can check, if it's there at all?
Checking if the download worked in the first place could limit the possible bug-sources...
All downloaded (and created) files are placed in the Windows temporary folder. The location could vary based on the Windows version, but it should be something like C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Temp
To be sure open a command prompt and enter: echo %TEMP%

Btw, in today's update I now also delete the old file before downloading it again. That was also giving me the "Download failed" error sometimes.

One more thing, one could also try to download reaper directly from command prompt to see if something goes wrong:

Code:
powershell.exe (new-object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadFile('https://www.landoleet.org/reaper614+dev1003_x64-install.exe', '%TEMP%\reaper614+dev1003_x64-install.exe')

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 10-07-2020 at 12:04 PM.
FeedTheCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #55
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Under Windows 7, I get this error-message:

Code:
Missing ")" in Method-call.
In Line:1 Character:48
+ (new-object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadFile( <<<< https://www.landoleet.org/reaper614+dev1003_x64-install.exe, $env:TEMP\reaper614+dev1003_x64-install.exe)
    + CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (CloseParenToken:TokenId) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MissingEndParenthesisInMethodCall
I had to translate the first two lines, as I'm on a german machine.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #56
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Under Windows 7, I get this error-message:
Uups my bad, I corrected the code. You will have to manually specify the download path. I wanted to get fancy and use %TEMP% but that's not that simple

Edit: It's pretty simple afterall, no need to specify the download path.

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 10-07-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #57
lb0

Quote:
@lb0
Any difference between the systems you can think of? Maybe antivirus is blocking the download?

If you uncomment line 540, the script will use a different method of downloading (Invoke-Webrequest instead of Net.WebClient). Maybe that works better for some reason.
Thanks for the reply.

The only major difference is that the work network is normally a pain to use with updater programs (ReaPack for instance doesn't work) - but in this case it's working fine. Both use the same unaltered AV.

Line 540 in the 1.2 build appears to be
Code:
end
I've had a look through the rest of the code and it's not immediately obvious to me what line I should uncomment.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:29 PM   #58
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

The only major difference is that the work network is normally a pain to use with updater programs (ReaPack for instance doesn't work) - but in this case it's working fine. Both use the same unaltered AV.

Line 540 in the 1.2 build appears to be
Code:
end
I've had a look through the rest of the code and it's not immediately obvious to me what line I should uncomment.
You need to update to 1.2.1, I added the line in the update today
Old 10-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #59
lb0

Quote:
You need to update to 1.2.1, I added the line in the update today
Ok - thanks.

Actually - I activated debug mode - and when I thought it was frozen - it is actually downloading - just really slowly for some reason...

I think this is why I was getting the download failed messages on subsequent runs - because it was actually still downloading from the previous time so the file was locked (of course killing the script while it's downloading doesn't terminate the download).

So it does seem to be working ok - just really slow... EDIT: So far just over halfway in about 10 minutes!! I shall try the newer version when this one's finished downloading - to see if it's any better

Last edited by lb0; 10-07-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #60
lb0

Ok - it's working fine here...

The main release version downloads quickly.

But I usually have the dev version installed - and for some reason - even downloading directly from LoL - it's taking an age (like 10+ minutes).

So it was my impatience and nothing wrong with the script.

Thank you for your help.

But I've never seen LoL so slow before...

EDIT - Today all is good - My internet connection to LoL is back to normal speed - and the updater takes a few seconds to download - instead of the 15 minutes it was taking yesterday. Strange as most other websites and movie streaming was fine yesterday.

Last edited by lb0; 10-08-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:07 PM   #61
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Ok - it's working fine here...

The main release version downloads quickly.

But I usually have the dev version installed - and for some reason - even downloading directly from LoL - it's taking an age (like 10+ minutes).

So it was my impatience and nothing wrong with the script.

Thank you for your help.

But I've never seen LoL so slow before...
Hmm that's weird ... Does it download fast in the browser? Might be something like this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...easonably-slow

Edit: According to the post the powershell WebClient takes its settings from the default IE settings. Maybe see if this does anything. Replace line 538 (the line with the first windows dl_cmd variable) with this:
Code:
    dl_cmd = 'powershell.exe -windowstyle hidden $wc=new-object System.Net.WebClient;$wc.Proxy=new-object System.Net.WebProxy;$wc'
Edit2: Nvm, just saw you said it's also slow when downloading directly from LoL

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 10-07-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:42 PM   #62
Jae.Thomas

seems to work here. Is there going to be a way to show preferences as to prioritizing dev/rc/official or just the newest...

and what about "ignore this update?"

thsi is amazing
Old 10-07-2020, 03:03 PM   #63
Jae.Thomas

i love that this exists
Old 10-07-2020, 04:22 PM   #64
FeedTheCat

Quote:
seems to work here.
Nice! So it might have been that C:/ thing after all.

Quote:
Is there going to be a way to show preferences as to prioritizing dev/rc/official or just the newest...
I might add some more preferences down the road. For now I want to keep this as simple as possible (at least on the user end of things ).

Quote:
and what about "ignore this update?"
You will only get notified once when something new is released, you can dismiss the dialog if you're not interested. Or just read the changelog without actually updating.

Quote:
i love that this exists
Well that's nice to hear
Old 10-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #65
Jae.Thomas

will it remember you ignoring THAT particular update? Just nitpicking
Old 10-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #66
daniellumertz

FTC you are awesome!
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:52 AM   #67
FeedTheCat

Quote:
will it remember you ignoring THAT particular update? Just nitpicking
yes, it will remember and not prompt you to update again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
FTC you are awesome!
Hi daniel, nice you're stopping by
Old 10-08-2020, 10:57 AM   #68
Meo-Ada Mespotine

You could add SWS too, though only as prerelease version. Not sure, if it supports command-line installation.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:18 AM   #69
FeedTheCat

Quote:
You could add SWS too, though only as prerelease version. Not sure, if it supports command-line installation.
Interesting idea. I wonder why it isn't on ReaPack?
Old 10-08-2020, 11:19 PM   #70
reapero

This is awesome! Thx ftc!

I agree. Reaper installer should bundle (as optional options) SWS and Reapack.
reapero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #71
jkooks

Seemed to be getting an issue that would halt the script and keep it in the initialization phase whenever the environment's home directory is set to a network drive, but managed to fix it by adding some code right after the reaper.ExecProcess call in your ExecProcess function:

Code:
    if type(ret) == "string" then
    	local errStart, errEnd = ret:find("Defaulting to Windows directory.")
    	if errEnd then ret = ret:sub(errEnd+1) end
    end
This is probably not the best fix for the issue but it works as a temp one for now if anyone else is running into a similar issue.

From the debug log it seems like the exec process wasn't erroring out but appending the error message to any of the later commands:

Code:
STARTING...
CPU achitecture: x64
Installation path: C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)
Resource path: C:\Users\jkooks\AppData\Roaming\REAPER
Executing command:
cmd.exe /Q /C "echo %TEMP%"
Return value:
'*networked drive path*'CMD.EXE was started with the above path as the current directory.UNC paths are not supported.  Defaulting to Windows directory.C:\Users\jkooks\AppData\Local\Temp
Startup extstate: true
Startup splash: false
Executing command:
cmd.exe /Q /C "echo check_update > '*networked drive path*'CMD.EXE was started with the above path as the current directory.UNC paths are not supported.  Defaulting to Windows directory.C:\Users\jkooks\AppData\Local\Temp\reaper_uutil_step.txt"

I'm also running on Windows 10 with version 1.2.1 of the Reaper Update Utility script.
jkooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #72
FeedTheCat

Thx for the fix jkooks! I'll add it in the next update
Old 10-13-2020, 10:13 AM   #73
FeedTheCat

Update v1.3
  • OSX is now supported
  • Changelog links will search for corresponding forum posts
  • New simplified update logic (supports RC versions)
  • Fix for Windows network drives (by jkooks)

If you try it out on OSX, please let me know if it works or not
Old 10-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #74
Jae.Thomas

it's popping up asking me to update to either 6.14 or 6.14 +dev1003 when I have 6.14 +dev1003 installed already.

is this because the script just updated? No problem if so
Old 10-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #75
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Update v1.3
  • Changelog links will search for corresponding forum posts
Nice, so I can click on the changelog-links and they open in my browser?

Old 10-13-2020, 11:23 AM   #76
FeedTheCat

Quote:
it's popping up asking me to update to either 6.14 or 6.14 +dev1003 when I have 6.14 +dev1003 installed already.

is this because the script just updated? No problem if so
Hmm, that's weird ... It didn't do that on my Windows installs. Does it keep happening? Or was it a one-time thing?

Quote:
Nice, so I can click on the changelog-links and they open in my browser?
Yup, it will try to search the forums to find the post for the version. If it fails (weird title format or the post doesn't exist yet), it will fallback to the official "what's new" page.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:10 PM   #77
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Hmm, that's weird ... It didn't do that on my Windows installs. Does it keep happening? Or was it a one-time thing?

Yup, it will try to search the forums to find the post for the version. If it fails (weird title format or the post doesn't exist yet), it will fallback to the official "what's new" page.
That's actually a great debugging-help, as you can easily check the changes and fixes in the dev-versions from the descriptions of the initial post quite easily.

This. Is. Awesome.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:06 PM   #78
sonictim

Quote:
Update v1.3
  • OSX is now supported

If you try it out on OSX, please let me know if it works or not

Initially, it just gave me a window that slowly pulses "OS X is not supported (yet)..."

So I went to the end of the script and altered the following code

Code:
if platform:match('OSX') then
    task = 'OSX is not supported (yet)...'
else
    -- Trigger the first step (steps are triggered by writing to the step file)
    ExecProcess('echo check_update > ' .. step_path)
end
And now it seems to work great....

It gave me to options 6.14 and 6.14dev1003... I clicked in dev1003 (which I'm currently running) and nothing happened... Then I clicked on 6.14 and it just started going... Which is fine now that I know, but I had a moment of panic regarding "am I going to lose all my razor edit key map and mouse modifiers when it reinstalls?" But when I then used your program in the newly installed version to switch back over to 6.14dev1003, everything seemed to be back to normal... phew!

So, perhaps you could add a confirmation section once you chose a version rather than have it just go right away... I was not initially expecting that.... (well, I will now, so it's probably fine)...

I love the look/design of the plugin! It's very clean and nice! Awesome job!
Old 10-14-2020, 06:51 AM   #79
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Initially, it just gave me a window that slowly pulses "OS X is not supported (yet)..."

So I went to the end of the script and altered the following code
Interesting, seems like ReaPack skipped a commit. I'll have to look into this...
Quote:
And now it seems to work great....

It gave me to options 6.14 and 6.14dev1003... I clicked in dev1003 (which I'm currently running) and nothing happened... Then I clicked on 6.14 and it just started going... Which is fine now that I know, but I had a moment of panic regarding "am I going to lose all my razor edit key map and mouse modifiers when it reinstalls?" But when I then used your program in the newly installed version to switch back over to 6.14dev1003, everything seemed to be back to normal... phew!

So, perhaps you could add a confirmation section once you chose a version rather than have it just go right away... I was not initially expecting that.... (well, I will now, so it's probably fine)...

I love the look/design of the plugin! It's very clean and nice! Awesome job!
Cool! Sounds like it works

For some reason OSX is the only OS where you don't need to give admin privileges to install reaper. I didn't expect that, especially from Catalina This means, that there is one less confirmation dialog in OSX. There's also a prompt to save (if the project has unsaved changes), and 3 potential prompts seemed too much... But duly noted, I'll think about it. No confirmation at all is definitely not good.

(Btw, in case you miss-click, you can safely just press ESC or close the window while it's downloading to stop the install)

Edit: You mentioned that you first clicked the installed dev1003 version. Do you remember if it was green (=Installed)?

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 10-14-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #80
sonictim

Yes, it was green initially. Then then the regular version was installed it was yellow. Now dev is installed again and it is green.

That is interesting Mac let’s you plow through everything. What’s weird, is normally when I install manually it gives me this dialogue about how reaper is unsigned, are you sure you want to run... perhaps since I’ve already installed and given the system permission on them, it was able to barrel right through. I’m curious what will happen when the next version of reaper comes out. Will report back then.