Old 09-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #1
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Default Who is actually running an X32?

I'm looking at outfitting a lot of new rooms with x32's and x32 variants, some of them replacing some MOTU gear.

Is the x32's USB to computer really doable in real world situations? WHats the round trip latency like?

How do you route the AES50 from say, the S32 snake to different locations?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:04 AM   #2
dazastah
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I'm looking at outfitting a lot of new rooms with x32's and x32 variants, some of them replacing some MOTU gear.

Is the x32's USB to computer really doable in real world situations? WHats the round trip latency like?

How do you route the AES50 from say, the S32 snake to different locations?
Cant remember as a friend is borrowing it atm....
i have a x32 core with the s16 snake..
simple part is connecting it..
Confusing part at first is the internal routing..
IT routes in blocks of 8(could be 16) from memory..
Meaning you set the physical ins/outs and then the usb ins/out...(usb card is 32 in and out i think?) at 8 channels at a time you can't set/route it individually..
There's no driver for osx, but it was still flaky sometimes not recognising the x32 core when booting up the x32 core. Its not like a routing matrix either, the routing for each card or box has a seperate window in the app/menu routing on unit..

When you say round trip it depends on how the x32 is auditioned... I would be auditioning physical inputs within the x32 mixer rather than the mixer in the software via the daw.. So that you wouldn't incur the sofware/daw monitor latency. the roundtrip within the internal mixer is very very low/short .. But i dont have an exact number as i never bothered to test it...
dazastah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #3
Toft

I run a X32 rack pretty much every Sunday, but I only record the 2 track to USB.

That's the downside of mixing by iPad - it's super convenient, but you don't get the option of multitrack recording.
Toft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Does it require the USB port to use the iPad with it?
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:38 PM   #5
Toft

No, we just record to a USB stick - it sits in the rack and you can record whatever two channels you want on it (usually main L&R).

The iPad is talking to a WiFi router plugged into the ethernet port on the rack. It works great, and doesn't use the USB port.

Everything on the rack is accessible by iPad, so there's nothing stopping you from plugging in your laptop via the USB port for recording multitrack and driving everything via Ipad.

The convenience is certainly there, and no sound is actually routed via the iPad, so it shouldn't be screwing with your latency.

As to how much latency you get via USB, you should be able to monitor the inputs while recording, like dazastah said, so no USB delays there. I get the impression that if you do want to monitor the DAW (for reverb or whatever) it could be a bit laggy, but I have never tried myself.
Toft is offline   Reply With Quote