Old 11-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #1
cjewellstudios
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Midi Control path

Is there a way to force a midi controller to any channel other than chan 1 of the control path?

I have a tc64 I use for actions (which is awesome btw) and i'd eventually like to get another one. Anyhow, I also have a nanopad that I used to try and sort this issue out. I enabled the nanopad for control in the prefs but it also comes in on chan 1 when you set it for an action.

I've fiddled with miditoreacontrolpath (butchering that name probably) and disabled the controllers for control, but I can't seem to get reaper to even see a message that isn't on channel one. I also tried the midi channel router (also forget the exact name of that reaper plugin), I thought I was on to something there but was unsuccessful.

Maybe one of you fine fellows/ladies has some guidance for me.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
Time Waster

I'm no expert on MIDI controllers, but I would think that you need to set the MIDI channel on the controller, not in REAPER. It's unlikely that the controllers will be transmitting on all channels simultaneously and the default channel is most likely going to be channel 1, which could be why you can't get REAPER to see messages on any other channel. That's my guess anyway, assuming I understand your question.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #3
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
I'm no expert on MIDI controllers, but I would think that you need to set the MIDI channel on the controller, not in REAPER. It's unlikely that the controllers will be transmitting on all channels simultaneously and the default channel is most likely going to be channel 1, which could be why you can't get REAPER to see messages on any other channel. That's my guess anyway, assuming I understand your question.
Thank you very much for responding man!

I do believe you are right. Through my research today unfortunately I figured out that the tc64 permanently outputs channel 1 with no way to change it.

I assume there's probably a 3rd party option (midi yoke? Bome midi translator?) but that's a road I have not yet traveled down and I actually havent the slightest idea of what those programs are capable of.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:14 PM   #4
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
Is there a way to force a midi controller to any channel other than chan 1 of the control path?
What do you mean by "force" ?

What do you mean by "controller" (CC-message ? )

I use SWS LiveConfigs, that listens on the Reaper Control Path. I seem to remember that when learning an action it does learn the channel and the CC number. So Channels are present on the Control path in the normal way.

As you mention MidiToReaControlPath you seem to want to route Midi messages from a track's FX chain to the Control Path. In the FX chain you can use JSFX plugins (provided) to modify the channel to whatever you want (or you can use a separate track and change the channel when routing Midi from one track to the other).

I am sure you don't need Yoke or Translator. Reaper can do this internally.

Maybe you should hook the controller to another input track than any other Midi equipment to allow different actions on the same channel from different devices.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-14-2017 at 11:28 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:05 AM   #5
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
What do you mean by "force" ?

What do you mean by "controller" (CC-message ? )
Thanks for your reply!

I am a little clearer on what's going on now than when I first asked the question so let me rephrase:

The tc64 permanently outputs channel 1 with no way to change it on the unit and it does not come with mapping software. So yeah when you map an action it says chan 1 cc etc... I want to make it channel 2 and still use it for control.

By force I meant change the midi channel within Reaper

and controller meant physical controller (however I am talking about mapping CC messages to actions as well)

Anyhow, I was able to change my nanopad to channel 2 after downloading their mapping software, and products I buy in the future I will make sure they have a way to change the channel for sure. However, I'd still love to know if changing the tc64 messages to channel 2 within reaper is possible
Old 11-15-2017, 04:40 AM   #6
cjewellstudios

I put the midi controller on a track and tried to send that to the control path instead of "enabled for control" in prefs because I figured that's what I'd have to do to make changes to the channel number.

I was unable to figure out how to do that though. I'm sure I was really close. Which combination of plugs and in what order would you think I should try?

To reiterate, im just trying to map actions to these buttons, thats the only function I an concerned with.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:05 AM   #7
nofish

Quote:
I put the midi controller on a track and tried to send that to the control path instead of "enabled for control" in prefs because I figured that's what I'd have to do to make changes to the channel number.

I was unable to figure out how to do that though. I'm sure I was really close. Which combination of plugs and in what order would you think I should try?

To reiterate, im just trying to map actions to these buttons, thats the only function I an concerned with.
Hm...this sounds correct to me.
It should go like this:

- Enable MIDI controller for track input (instead of 'for control')
- Put a channel remapper JSFX as first plugin on the track
- Put MIDItoReaControlPath (with default settings I think) as the second plugin

Then if you record arm the track and wiggle your controller it should go to Reaper's control path and you should be able to 'learn' stuff with the changed MIDI channel.

But it sounds like you have tried this already ?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:14 AM   #8
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post

But it sounds like you have tried this already ?
In a convoluted way yes lol. I also had reamidicontrol in the chain.

Part of the problem i think is this is my first go-around with these midi plugs and need to learn them. The miditoreacontrolpath is extra confusing with those bottom two sliders "matching 1 and 2" and "not matching 1 and 2"

I'll admit that I havent looked at the documentation for that though.

I will try it as you suggested tonight.

Thanks again!
Old 11-15-2017, 06:39 AM   #9
DarkStar

I cannot find the TC64 User Manual (from a 'safe-looking' site, anyway) but this thread:
https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/215..._touch_64.html
seems to suggest that the pads can be programmed to send on a different MIDI channel.

Have you got some sort of TC64 configuration file?
Old 11-15-2017, 06:54 AM   #10
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
I cannot find the TC64 User Manual (from a 'safe-looking' site, anyway) but this thread:
https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/215..._touch_64.html
seems to suggest that the pads can be programmed to send on a different MIDI channel.

Have you got some sort of TC64 configuration file?
DarkStar!

I've seen so many of your posts I feel like I know you a little bit

I couldn't find the manual either but heres a forum with behringer saying its permanently mapped to channel 1

https://forum.music-group.com/showth...e-MIDI-Channel

The link you provided looks like he's using Virtual DJ (daw of some sort I presume) to do the routing.

I assume I wouldn't have a problem if that 's all I was doing in reaper and then subsequently using the tc64 how its meant to be used (launchpad). I think where I'm getting hung up is getting it into a different control path than channel 1.

I don't think I have a config file but I actually wouldn't know where to look for that.

I'll add a caveat that I'm a half noob diving into this midi stuff so it's quite possible i just missed something when testing this out

Thanks for your reply!
Old 11-15-2017, 07:29 AM   #11
DarkStar

OK, that looks like bad news.

Try what nofish suggested.

You would be sending MIDI from the TC64 on MIDI channel 01 to the Reaper track, then converting it to Channel 02 (use JS: IX/MIDI_Router) and routing it to the Control Path. The MIDItoReaControlPath settings would be:

This would remove all the MIDI from the normal MIDI path (i.e. to the track) and route MIDI Control Change messages on Channel 02 into the Control Path.

-----------------------
Here is another way to do it - it's a bit neater:
-- you still need a dummy track to receive the MIDI CC messages
-- after you have selected the TC64 as the Input device, map its input to Channel 02 (right-click the RecArm button for the menus),
-- open the "Track input FX chain" and add MIDItoReaControlPath there, setting it as shown:

>>> https://i.imgur.com/oOYXrFh.png

(Oops, the Input Channel (1) on MIDItoReaControlPath should be 2, not 4 (I was trying it out here)).

Last edited by DarkStar; 11-15-2017 at 07:56 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:33 AM   #12
cjewellstudios

Perfect.

Will report back. Thank you both!
Old 11-16-2017, 09:25 PM   #13
cjewellstudios

OK!

Finally success on night two of trying everyone's suggestions!

Thank you everyone here.

The problem for me was I was putting "CC message" in the MiditoReaControlPath settings but the TC64 is actually sending note messages!

On top of that. Setting it up like that offers a ton of flexibility. I set up a track for channel 1 and a track for channel 2! (twice the buttons!!! AAAHHH)

In the next day or so I will be researching how to set up an action so that I can record arm these channels one at a time and possibly take them out of record if I'm actually recording.

Thanks again for everyone leading me down the path to infinite mappable buttons!
Old 11-16-2017, 10:46 PM   #14
mschnell

Quote:
However, I'd still love to know if changing the tc64 messages to channel 2 within reaper is possible
There are multiple ways.

1) Reaper can do it by itself: When routing Midi from one track to another, you can select which channel should be sent (all or a single one) and which channel is to be received by the other track (the same as sent or a dedicated one).

2) you can use a plugin.

Of course this only can be done in the "tracks" area and not in the control path. So you need to receive midi with a track and then use MidiToReaControlPath to forward the modified messages there.

BTW.: in a track you can use a plugin to convert note on events to CCs, if you need to (e.g. to trigger SWS LiveConfigs by a controller sending note-on messages).

-Michael (sorry, somehow I missed your answer to my questions up till today)

Last edited by mschnell; 11-18-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #15
cjewellstudios

Hey Michael!

Thanks for popping back in!

What I've decided to do is create two tracks (for now) with one being channel 1 the other being channel 2 and then create custom actions to arm them. I'll also try my hand at a conditional action to disarm them both when I press record but honestly I probably won't be hitting any of those actions when I record so at the worst there'd just be some blank midi items on those tracks.

All of this also definitely leads me towards buying an actual novation launchpad mini for the same purpose and selling the CMD Touch TC64. The launchpads have a smaller footprint and can be mapped however without this workaround.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #16
mschnell

I use an "XTouch Compact". With same you can set midi channel and Midi event (note number or CC number) dedicatedly and individually for each button, knob or fader.

-Michael