Old 11-17-2017, 07:31 AM   #1
Wannie
Human being with feelings

Default PC Laptop Specs Please...

Hi Folks,
I'm looking at picking a PC Laptop up to learn how to use Reaper whilst eventually switching over from Logic next month...

What are the specs I will need to run a few Plugins like EZ Drummer and a few other plugins ?
a I will also be running 10 tracks of audio ?
Would an I 3 processor do the job or should I be looking at a I5 ?
Do I need a separate graphics card ?

Cheers for your help, Wan
Wannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #2
Obicere

I'm looking to do the same. My desktop is an i5 @ 3.40GHz with 16GB and that's just about adequate with 'freezing' for my present needs. I'm also waiting for more on AMD's new Ryzen processors...
Old 11-17-2017, 08:39 AM   #3
ivansc

I have an older 15 dual core 2.5 with 8 gb of ram (that's important if you run a lot of vsti) and I have recently treated it to a 500gb SSD, replacing the old 7200 HDD, but that's really icing on the cake.
It will cope with pretty much anything I throw at it, but I do have a very good USB interface which definitely helps.
Mine is an RME Babyface, which is really, really good for low latency work..
Old 11-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
mykrobinson

I'd steer clear of the i3 processors. Depending on the specific model, I have seen Core 2 Duos run circles around ani3 and the core 2 duo is several generations behind.

I have a laptop with a Core i5CPU and 12GB of RAM and can run a session with over 100 tracks in it without breaking a sweat (mixed "return to the earth" by The Contortionist for last month's Nail the Mix, that's a lot of tracks...)

I use VST amp sims frequently and I have EZ Drummer 2 and Steven Slate Drums 4 Platinum, all seems to work just fine.

Your mileage may vary to some extent depending on your audio interface and hard drive. If its in the budget, you may wish to steer clear of 5400RPM hard drives. A solid state drive will give you superior performance but less storage capacity for the money. I archive projects to an external hard drive to save drive space but keep a few projects on the internal solid state drive. A 7200RPM drive would be a good affordable middle of the road drive, though.
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
Wannie

Default Cheers for the help..

Just picked up a Lenovo laptop with an I7 processor and separate graphics card for £250
I'll look at replacing the hard drive for an SSD and maybe increase the Ram..
I'm going to upgrade my Scarlett 2I2 soon as well, but hopefully this should keep me going for a while..

I must say having been a long time Logic user, I'm liking the fact that Reaper is nice and slimline enabling me to add the VST's i need rather than be bogged down with a million useless sounds and loops..

Super Cool !!!
Wannie is offline   Reply With Quote