Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #1
Sympol
Human being with feelings

Default Create toolbar button to automatically insert a new colour coded, named, track

Hi,
This is a very basic question I suspect.
I would like to either a) create a new item under the track menu to insert a particular type of track (say acoustic guitar) which would then create a new track colour coded and with an acoustic guitar icon or b) create a toolbar button which would do the same thing.
I have seen something similar to option b) in one of the Reaper training videos I have watched, but can't find it right now.
I know that it is possible to have this happen by creating a rule under the SWS Extensions/autocolour icon/track etc. but would like to just click a button or a menu item and have a create created with the desired colour, name and icon in one blow....
Would love to know if this is possible and be pointed in a direction where I can learn more eg is it part of a particular theme, would it be a script or....
Any direction much appreciated,
thanks
Sympol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
trevlyns

This is what I've done -

First set up the track as you want and color code it. Then save as a track template: Track>Save track as template.

Finally set up the button (arrowed) with the action 'Track - insert track from template

Attached Images
File Type: png templates.png (25.1 KB, 250 views)
Old 10-29-2017, 01:26 AM   #3
Sympol

Thanks for that - I'll give it a go after I've woken up with a few more coffees Looks like it should give me what I'm after, thanks again
Old 10-29-2017, 02:22 AM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

I think that action "insert track from template..." will open the track template folder to choose which template you want (the tree dots at the end of the name suggest that a dialog will open). Useful, but it's not a one-click solution.

I don't know whether there is a native action to insert specific track templates by now, but if you have SWS extensions you can use their "Resources" feature.

- save your track template as usual
- in Reaper open the SWS Resources window (for example from within Reaper's "Extensions" menu, or the action "SWS/S&M: Open/close Resources window".
- make sure you set the resources window to show you the track templates page. There is a dropdown in the window header to do that.
- each row in the table is called a slot. Double click on a slot will give you the option to load a track template into the slot. Alternatively you can also right click and choose "import tracks".
- In the action list you'll find "SWS/S&M: Resources - Import tracks from track template, slot [n]" which do what you're after. Find the one with the right slot number for your template and create your button with it.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:37 AM   #5
Sympol

Yes, you're right, it does open up the track template selection, and that works fine. I'll play around a bit more with your suggestion and see if that suits me better.
Thanks for the response....
Old 10-29-2017, 07:04 AM   #6
Sympol

OK, that worked fine but with a limitation I've not yet found a way to overcome. I have managed to increase the track templates number of slots beyond the standard 4 by editing the S&M.ini file. However, when I try to add a button to use the action to import tracks from track template, there is still a limit of track templates 1 - 4, even though I have now 5 different track templates saved and listed. Is there a way to add the extra actions SWS/SMS: Resources - Import tracks from track templates, slot 5, slot 6 etc.? Is this somewhere in the .ini file too? (If so I've not found it yet!)
Thanks
Edit:
OK, just found it in the S&M.ini file 'S&M_ADD_TRTEMPLATE=4' increased this and can now select more track templates

Last edited by Sympol; 10-29-2017 at 07:10 AM. Reason: More info found!