Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 01-08-2010, 03:03 AM   #41
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth R. View Post
I LOVE the idea of user-coded templates that would auto-format tracks based on track names.

HUGE interest in that feature!
SWS is on it, just be patient.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #42
Lazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
SWS is on it, just be patient.
I use your Toolbar and Love it, thank you!

But is what your saying here...Would you have to do an initial set up of it or does it do the Hole thing from the get go AUTOMATICALLY?

This would be Great!
Lazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #43
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazz View Post
I use your Toolbar and Love it, thank you!

But is what your saying here...Would you have to do an initial set up of it or does it do the Hole thing from the get go AUTOMATICALLY?

This would be Great!
http://code.google.com/p/sws-extensi...wner%20Summary
Old 10-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #44
pixeltarian

v4 bump
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #45
mikeroephonics

+1
Excellent idea!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #46
mikeroephonics

I like how Vegas does it. There's a color square around the track #. Right-click (or Left-click?) to access the menu mockup in post #1?

So just add the current color around the track # like in this vegas pic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I don't know. Instead of just putting the color selections directly on that icon, it's just more of an indication. The actual color selections are at the bottom of a right-click context menu for the TCP, not directly on that icon so... dunno. It would be better (imo) if the button called the colors directly along with that.
Sorry, it's been years since I've used Vegas (I switched from V to R.)
I'd forgotten about the right-click Vegas menu for color selection.
BUT, having access to a set of user-defined colors from right-clicking a similar color square around the track # in R would be quite handy!

Last edited by mikeroephonics; 10-30-2010 at 09:28 AM.
mikeroephonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #47
Lawrence

I don't know. Instead of just putting the color selections directly on that icon, it's just more of an indication. The actual color selections are at the bottom of a right-click context menu for the TCP, not directly on that icon so... dunno. It would be better (imo) if the button called the colors directly along with that.

Last edited by Lawrence; 10-29-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #48
pixeltarian

my favorite implementation is when there's just a little stripe of color on the left side you can click on for an in-place palette.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #49
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
I like how Vegas does it. There's a color square around the track #. Right-click (or Left-click?) to access the menu mockup in post #1?

So just add the current color around the track # like in this vegas pic:
OT, but...
I always thought one of the saddest things I've witness was when sonic foundry was bought out by sony and no one took the acid/vegas seriously after that...
Old 10-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #50
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
my favorite implementation is when there's just a little stripe of color on the left side you can click on for an in-place palette.
The Cubase flyout "track color" thing is cool, and sets the default track color, but you have to go to the toolbar for part color, to override the track color for an event, instead of just using the selection for that. But it's all right there and kind of out of the way. Once you set a part color it ignores the track colors.

The setup for custom colors is pretty well laid out...

Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #51
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
The Cubase flyout "track color" thing is cool, and sets the default track color, but you have to go to the toolbar for part color, to override the track color for an event, instead of just using the selection for that. But it's all right there and kind of out of the way. Once you set a part color it ignores the track colors.

The setup for custom colors is pretty well laid out...

yeah... that looks mighty fine. I hope v4 gets a lot of polish. I don't really need MORE features. I need the current features to be refined and perfected.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #52
jussi

BUMP!

My workaround has been a default 12-track template with colors already choosen but what I actually did was a poorman's "trying to look nice and silky like Cubase" template.

Come on, most of the Reaper themes dont look that good and even when you get yourself a nice one, you still have to work the preferences so that the items on the tracks look good... anyway, after you get them looking good, there's still the color issue.

Cubase AI6 came with my Yamaha THR and while I was trying it I didnt have to worry about colors, they were automatically awesome and everything looked nice and smooth, I feel that really helps when you're creating music. The only major drawback about AI6 is the fact that it is a POS.
jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #53
gofer
-blänk-

Thread is pretty old

Try SWS extension's auto-color/icon feature which do automatic coloring (and icon assignment) by track name plus random coloring of new tracks and lots more goodies.
And of course the SWS custom color menus/actions which let you specify swatches for 16 user-defined colors to choose from without having to go through the OS color picker.

EvilDragon has shared a color toolbar using the latter with which you can pretty comfortably assign track and item colors by clicking on color swatches on a toolbar.

Still, the stock color features could be enhanced a lot. And there is still the old "colors don't quite match with those I actually choose" issues.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #54
jussi

Iam aware of those workarounds and thats exactly why I posted on a thread with the title "Reaper, the only DAW with annoying track color selection."

The "color +1" option from cubase would be something Reaper should have by default.

If Reaper had some sort of basic/power user .ini file that you would choose when installing and if this track colors thing was resolved, everything would be much better for new users and even for the experienced ones.

Iam not going to tell my friends "Reaper is great, you should use it... you just have to change this, change that, remove this, add that, install sws, add actions, change theme, change behaviour...."

I dont want to have to install sws for something so basic like good automatic track coloring.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #55
gofer
-blänk-

Sorry, I was just trying to be of help. It wasn't clear in your post that you know of these features (which-albeit not in the program as shipped - can easily be added and are perfectly integrated). And this thread being pretty old also didn't yet reflect them (afaict), which I think is reason enough to mention those possibilities here for people reading and not aware of them.

Also, I think I said that I agree with you that the stock color system could use some love. Mustn't necessarily be Cubase style, I also like for example the S1 mousewheel based color system a lot.

Personally I do not consider SWS extensions a workaround but a feature extension that can help you tremendously with all kind of stuff. So, while I wouldn't complain if Cockos did something, it is working pretty comfortable right now, so I (personally) am not in a hurry with this. That's IMO, YMMV and so on, of course
Old 11-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #56
jussi

Thats ok but nowadays any daw will take care of the color choices for you. Cubase does that automatically and if you want to change a color, you know that all the colors available will work good togheter. Reaper comes default with a full range of colors and that surely aint beneficial.

Adding stuff like sws or actions for intricate routing/mangling stuff, thats ok... but for track colouring? wtf...
Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #57
gofer
-blänk-

No problem with your preferences on this matter. When it comes to color, I'd prefer if Reaper was able to show the chosen color correctly in the first place
Old 11-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #58
pixeltarian

I agree, this idea should be fully implimented.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #59
run, megalodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
No problem with your preferences on this matter. When it comes to color, I'd prefer if Reaper was able to show the chosen color correctly in the first place
What exactly do you mean is off about the colors? One thing that bugs me is that if you set a track to a custom color, the items, the tcp background, and the tcp nameplate are different.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #60
run, megalodon

pixel, if this is not a votable fr you should probably make one to have a better chance of getting on the devs radar.

Picking color from the right click menu and then the palette is no fun.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #61
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by run, megalodon View Post
What exactly do you mean is off about the colors? One thing that bugs me is that if you set a track to a custom color, the items, the tcp background, and the tcp nameplate are different.
This is related to what I mean. If you choose a color in the OS palette, you'll find no place in Reaper where the color really matches the one you choose.
The amount and type of difference is theme dependent (namebg.png).

That it doesn't match on tcp backgrounds I can understand, but I do expect the tcp and mcp namefield (what you call nameplate) to match (with each other, but also with the color that's picked).
You can see the problem most plainly when you choose a pretty light color and look at the namefield in the default theme's mixer. Compare it to how it's displayed in the tcp, where the difference will be much less glaring and then with the color you actually picked. Default theme's tcp has more obvious problems with dark colors instead.

The problems occur as soon as a theme uses namebg.png which do the visuals of what you call the nameplate. You can get around by avoiding these images, but as soon as you want some fancy border or something at that place, you need to pull of some mean theme tricks.
It would probably be much easier if there was a dedicated place for track color only.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #62
run, megalodon

Interesting, a color space like tim's layouts would be nice, or maybe it could be solved with another namebg image that kicks in only when colored? It could be done the same as the themed item so that it could match.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #63
run, megalodon

And maybe items could be done with some sort of calibration, for example the theme creator could pick a particular color value that would reflect the exact color when colored, and other other colors could represent tints.

Or maybe a standard grey should be selected as the color that would be the exact color chosen and items should be done in grayscale and a default item color could be chosen in the theme editor. I've thought for a while that having colors just for odd and even tracks in the theme editor was limiting.

Just a couple thoughts, I have no clue if that could work. Devs should probably handle it eventually though because it's pretty unfinished looking.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #64
gofer
-blänk-

In case of the namefield, or a dedicated space ftm (tim's color strips have the problem as well), I think it's mainly a problem of z-order and alpha blending. But I don't know enough about that stuff to really tell.

Eg, as a layman, I would expect that if I have a transparent namebg.png it would be just invisible. I could have a fancy border in the image and full transparency in the middle area, or some alpha gradient (from a color to transparency) to fancy the area up. It could lay above any color picked and where there is full transparency in namebg, the untinted picked color that's underneath would appear.

But it doesn't work like that.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #65
Scoox

I know Reaper is all about customization, but I wouldn't mind a fixed color palette, as long as all its colors are usable (i.e. mutually distinct). I've always been a fan of Cubase's track color picker; the Studio One color picker is also quite good although some of the colors are bleh:

Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #66
spinlud

the problem is that the color you choose doesn't match the color you see, cause the blending with the color background of tracks and items. You can also have a color palette like cubase or studio one but the colors you are going to see will never match them if the actual blending system doesn't change, imho
spinlud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #67
Viente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
I know Reaper is all about customization, but I wouldn't mind a fixed color palette[/IMG]
You can define your own custom pallete.

With native fixed pallete it would be PITA to match track and items colors to different themes.
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #68
pixeltarian

Old 06-10-2014, 04:30 AM   #69
airon

The theme team has to figure this one out, so a colour palette that you can apply to selected tracks or items can actually work across all themes.

White Tie and a couple of others explained all about the foly of tinting stuff the way it is being done in v4 right now, so my guess is that Cockos will be addressing this as soon as the colouring problem has been addressed.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #70
The Telenator
Banned

Maybe someone hasn't looked around at some of those other DAWs out there, but several are far worse (with GUI/skins that suck incredibly, too).

But I do understand about the colour issue here, and short of spending too much time on making up some perfect colour pallet that would totally suit me, I've been relying on a couple of the Rado themes, which are already pretty swell for a good scheme. Even more, lately I've been using almost exclusively that skin called 'Analog Default 4 RC something or other'. It has a selection within it allowing to choose what it calls 'black', which simply darkens all those hideous pink and lemon pastels, making them look quite a bit darker and truly pro. That solved it in a couple of quick clicks for me.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #71
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
White Tie and a couple of others explained all about the foly of tinting stuff the way it is being done in v4 right now
Well, actually this has been my #1 feature request for about 7 years.

I'm exaggerating, of course.

Really? Am I? No I'm not. About 7 years. Think about that next time you want to mention to me that your FR has been around a long time

The problem here is that its asking for some invasive surgery into a number of areas which, from a pure engineering perspective, are working 100% perfectly. And round here that's spanking the sacred llama. It is permitted to spank the sacred llama, but you'd better have a damn good reason. And, perhaps we must regretfully acknowledge, 'my colours don't look right' might not seem like a damn good reason to everyone.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #72
The Telenator
Banned

Since I see your appearance here Mr.Tie, and it has been on my mind that this next is my one and only and none other true feature request EVER for Reaper: Gee, I sure wish we had a way to gray or darken or change that total white area that appears all around the plugin. I guess we call that the plugin dock area or whatever.

I know you know the place I mean. I've seen it come up in various threads before. Sure, I can certainly live with it, but if I could change only one thing on Reaper, it would be the ability to get rid of that glaring bright white. It's a 'known' thing, and I just wanted to mention it. If nothing else, just to have it some medium gray, like some skins do to various other areas, such as the effects lists area, oh, that would be nice.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #73
Scoox

So I guess this is not on Cockos' to-do list.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #74
airon

We did all this ourselves.

Autocolouring of tracks is in the SWS extension, just like auto icon assignment.

There are some good scripts with a GUI that let you colour tracks and items too. V5 did improve the tinting for me.

Find those scripts via the excellent ReaPack extension. The colour picker script might not be in there though. My colour picker is. The other big one can be found in the JS & Reascript forum section.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #75
Scoox

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
We did all this ourselves.

Autocolouring of tracks is in the SWS extension, just like auto icon assignment.

There are some good scripts with a GUI that let you colour tracks and items too. V5 did improve the tinting for me.

Find those scripts via the excellent ReaPack extension. The colour picker script might not be in there though. My colour picker is. The other big one can be found in the JS & Reascript forum section.
Your script did come up on google and I read a bit about it. Still, I'm not a fan of extensions to do what all DAWs do as standard. If Reaper had a decent color picker, you could have spent all that time writing tunes instead of scripts. I know scripting is fun too but I'm speaking on behalf of those who are here just to make music.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:18 PM   #76
aspiringSynthesisingAlch

Default build it and they will come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post

top marks for illustrating a concept. it feels like a LICEcap clip, so intuitive is the UI mockup kudos pixeltarian, a wisely chosen handle if ever I saw one.

To illustrate just how little I know about contet toolbars and jsfx/lua/py, is it not possible to do the floating toolbar using the floating toolbars, and the track manager using jsfx / reascript?

If it's not possible, what are the limitations?

Have you seen the set-track cubicpack thing?
could this be modified to deliver, if only at a functional level, what your after?
(or 90% + via reaconsole?)

great idea, worthy of implementation... if i can help?!
aspiringSynthesisingAlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:39 PM   #77
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
but I'm speaking on behalf of those who are here just to make music.
On that behalf: install the script, use it as if it were native (toolbar button, key command, whatever). Continue making music.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:13 PM   #78
aspiringSynthesisingAlch

Default darkstar ... track manager?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Pixeltarian, please click on the first link in my signature.

That could help you, perhaps?
sorry, which script is this?
aspiringSynthesisingAlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:11 PM   #79
Germps112

Its not an issue to complain about, there are more important things in workflow to discuss
Germps112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:54 AM   #80
airon

I suggest you install the Reapack extension. In the default repositories you will find at least two useful colourpickers that can be kept open all the time.

Reapack.com

After spending 2-3 minutes downloading and installing Reapack, just have it synchronize (Extenson menu at the top of the program window / Reapack/ ...).

Then you'll find all the color picking scripts ready for use in wthe action list. I keep one of them on a toolbar button, but you can place it in any menu, context menu, keyboard/midi shortcut.