Old 07-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER CONTEST - JULY 2018 (FEEDBACK)

REAPER CONTEST - JULY 2018
(ONLY REAPER PLUGINS ALLOWED)

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

MIXING: 4-18 July
VOTING: 19-29 July
RESULTS: 31 July

JULY 2018 PROJECTS
REAPER CONTEST ANALYTICS

This month the song to mix is called Passing Ships by the band The Travelling Band. This song is very different in my opinion from all the previous material we've seen here on the contest. I had already mixed another song from them a while back and I'm sure you all will have as much fun as I had

Band: The Travelling Band
Song: Passing Ships

As always you can download the multitrack from the website or clicking on this link.

Happy mixing!
Dave

IMPORTANT:
DO YOU WANT TO SUPPORT THIS CONTEST?

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 11-03-2018 at 10:33 AM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
Not_Here

gonna need coffee...

Last edited by Not_Here; 07-03-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:09 AM   #3
DaveKeehl

I’m gonna win! *punches 1-UP mushroom*
Old 07-05-2018, 12:13 AM   #4
red86549

This song is beautiful... !!!!! Thank you for proposing it...!
red86549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by red86549 View Post
This song is beautiful... !!!!! Thank you for proposing it...!
you're welcome)
Grass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:02 PM   #6
bls

Really cool recording! I'm gonna try and submit this time. We'll see!
bls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:33 AM   #7
DaveKeehl

5 days left
Old 07-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #8
aftercutrecords

Default Submission

Well, this was a fun one to mix! Not typically my genre (when mixing), but boy was this a beautiful song!
aftercutrecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:13 AM   #9
Not_Here

WELL.....

Old 07-15-2018, 03:30 PM   #10
Dex

This song is so good!
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:04 PM   #11
Dex

Submitted mine with minutes to spare. Can't wait to hear everyone else's mixes!
Old 07-19-2018, 12:09 PM   #12
kgarello

Can't wait to hear everyone's mix.

Unfortunately I did not get time to complete it this month.
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:25 PM   #13
DaveKeehl

I forgot to tell you that the voting phase has begun!
Old 07-28-2018, 03:45 AM   #14
DaveKeehl

1-2 days left to vote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #15
DaveKeehl

who's ready for the results?
Old 07-30-2018, 03:39 PM   #16
aftercutrecords

Default Who's Ready?

I'm HECKIN' ready! ;D
aftercutrecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:32 PM   #17
RiffStreet

Default Feedback on July 2018 mixes

Sorry that I sometimes post my feedback before the results come out... I do it when I get the chance, as long as voting is closed. These were my thoughts as I listened:

1. Interesting approach. Trying to come up with a way to describe it… hollow ambience? To me it’s a package deal – you either like the overall approach to the mix or you don’t.

2. My mix. Not too happy with it. I was out of town some this month and didn’t have much time to put into it.

3. I like this mix overall. Lead vocal sits really well. The cello parts seem to jump out a little too much at times. Mids building up a bit.

4. Piano too dominant during first half? I really like the final minute or so in particular; good job on that section. The only thing is, the high and fast cello part… while it does poke through, which is good… it’s really only that highest note that can be heard, so maybe some compression to help even it out and give the whole run a chance to come through (the lower notes too)?

5. Nice warm tone to this mix, maybe even too warm. Too much reverb on lead vocal? Drums too low? Piano too high in the quiet section around 2:52 to 3:15 – seems to me that that section should be quieter to help make the next section seem louder. More contrast between sections in other words. Good job on high cello part at very end. But where are the drums?

6. I could quibble with a thing or two (like not editing out the lip smack at the beginning), but… to my ears this is the best mix this month. Very well done.

7. Vocals sound heavily compressed and arguably are cranked up too much at the beginning. It’s actually a cool sound, but maybe not so much for this type of song? Also seems to need de-essing. Solid mix overall.

8. Lead vocal sounds amazing right off the bat. Very good mix. Can’t find much to complain about. Too much bass? Vocal too loud at beginning? (Allow it to build instead?)
RiffStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:28 PM   #18
DaveKeehl

I could simply copy and paste the post from June because, well..

THE WINNER IS STILL GRASS!

But I won't

Great job dude! Now it's time to dissect your mix

At this point it's just a formality but you can go choose a song you like
Link: http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm

Updated analytics (click it)

June 2018 ranking:

What a twist! Grass jumps to the first place. kgarello and RiffStreet follow and enter the battle for the second place!

New Top 10:

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 07-31-2018 at 01:37 PM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #19
Dex

Dang, I thought I'd done a pretty good job this time. I was number 7. If anything I thought there was maybe just a little bit too much reverb and a small overall frequency imbalance in my mix. I could use some specific feedback on what I'm doing wrong and how to improve.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:14 AM   #20
Grass

Thank you guys for your work. Unfortunately this month there were not too many mixes. Maybe next month it's better to choose a multitrack with fewer tracks?

Неre is my feedback.
ID 01. Good atmosphere, but some muddy mix for my ears, bass dominates.
ID 02. Good balance, i like this mix, maybe overcompressed drums at the end.
ID 03. Good mix, a little lack of control and glue for my ears.
ID 04. Good balance, good voice, very good mix overall, maybe not enough drums for my taste
ID 05. Good voice, some phase problems for my ears, not enough snare and energy for me.
ID 06. Very good mix, i like your automation and aggression
ID 07. Good balance, too much compression on the vocal for my taste, good energy
Grass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:02 AM   #21
DaveKeehl

Yeah maybe fewer tracks could be a solution but I think many people are on the beach having fun
Old 08-01-2018, 07:20 AM   #22
DaveKeehl

Updated the first post with the link to all the projects.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:00 AM   #23
Grundton

I did a little research and it seems that the original mix from 'Passing Ships'
is made by Chris Lord Alge. So we have the chance to compare our work with his.
Grundton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:21 AM   #24
DaveKeehl

Here are my notes

ID 01: A bit muddy in general. At times it sounds like there is a blanket on your mix. Maybe referencing or having a spectrum analyzer open all the time could help you. That being said the mix is enjoyable, although 1/3 of it is a bit too voice-centric and a lot of instruments could have been more upfront to give more impact and fullness.

ID 02: Very nice mix! Really good and enjoyable from the beginning to the end. The only thing I thought was a bit out of place was that synth panned on the left in the chorus. I would have put it either in the center at low volume or completely transformed it in a pad with stereo reverb and little dry sound.

ID 03: Nice mix! Only a few notes here and there. First of all, I had the feeling that the main vocal could have been pushed a tiny bit more. It lacks a bit of energy in the 10k area (some "air"). Some instruments in the final section of the song were a bit too loud.

ID 04: Again, nice mix! Until now there is not a single mix that doesn't deserve to be listened all the way through! However, the guitars could be louder and get more space because they define so much the mood of the song from the chorus onwards. At the end the main vocal was too loud in my opinion and the rest of the instrumental had to be the main focus to finish gloriously.

ID 05: Nice mix overall but the piano is too loud and the drums and the gang vocals are way too quite. I feel like you gave too much attention to the "wrong" instruments (even though there is no wrong).

ID 06: Very solid mix! One of the few that once the chorus hits, it makes you want to keep listening even more. However in general the vocals could be just a tiny bit louder. Not much, just 1 or 2 dB at max.

ID 07: Good job but the main vocal sounds overcompressed. The drums could be a bit louder and more prominent. The only mix where I feel like that synth in the chorus is too quite. No other notes.

ID 08: Oh man if you had put the channel time delayer to the guitar in the chorus it would have been perfect! Great great mix!
Old 08-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #25
germano

Thanks Dave for the tips.
I will follow them.
germano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #26
Dex

I listened to my mix on a few devices at a friend's house and it didn't hold up as well as I thought it would. I guess I just can't trust my mixing environment. So that said, take these notes with a giant grain of salt.

Notes:

The biggest error I heard came from the track labeled "Synth2." I felt that many people mixed it *way* too loud, when it was intended to be more of a nearly-inaudible pad effect. I will mention this as the "Synth2 problem" below.

1 - Vocals sound claustrophobic, like they were recorded in a bathroom or something. Piano and music is too quiet. Lows and low-mids too emphasized. Bass very loud. I hear the bass drum but not the snare.

2 - Intro is good. Vocals jump up in volume a little too much when the cello comes in. Balance seems to centered or tilted toward the left speaker depending on what part of the song we're in. I would have preferred a little tilt toward the right at some points to help counterbalance that and maintain interest. Has the synth 2 problem, but only when the drums come in for the first time. Balance is pretty good when the background vox come in for the first time, although the snare rolls are not very audible.

3 - Piano being left is a good idea but it's a little tough to listen to when it's just piano and vocals. Has the Synth2 problem, but not too badly. Guitar FX are handled well. Overall this is nicely done and well-balanced, although I think the background vox at the very end could have been handled better. Hard to hear the snare rolls.

4 - Intro is well done. Has the Synth2 problem, and the lead guitar is way too quiet when the drums come in. Put that baby out front! Drums are a little too quiet too. Well balanced otherwise, but could use some more width. Way too much info in the left speaker at 2:33 (as compared to the right). Dunno about having that overdub cymbal so loud.

5 - Piano is overly wide in the intro. Actually the whole song is too wide. Check out how much you lose if you sum to mono. Bold idea to make the drums and guitars so quiet. It didn't quite work but I think it could have if they were just a little louder. Acoustic guitar is actually a touch too loud. Background vox are barely audible.

6 - Intro is a little quiet. Has the Synth2 problem. Liked the guitar fx once the drums come in. Kick is a little "spitty" at 3:00. Weird pop at 3:16. Like that I can hear the cello runs clearly in the outro.

7 - mine.

8 - Well balanced intro. Liked that you kept the breaths there but they were pretty quiet. Gets a little muddy and 2-dimensional when the drums come in. Has the Synth2 problem. Good panning of the cello runs in the outro.

Voted:
but could have easily gone
Old 08-07-2018, 08:28 PM   #27
Not_Here

The following is not a BASH in any way shape or form... It is actual discourse intended to present a viewpoint that I have had, and wanted to just put out there. Honestly and openly to ask questions.

I wonder how much of these "issues" that exist in our (mine specifically) mixes are due to our exclusive use of the stock plugings?

I mean seriously, I know right now for a fact I will feel "hobbled" in next month contest. I'm still going to give it my all, and try and find a way to do what I know I can do... But I also feel like the mix is only going to be "part way there" no matter what I try to figure out.

I do agree, (speaking from recent experience) that my monitoring situation has greatly improved lately. I have done three other mixes in the last month, they all translated well and my last mix is getting good reviews (posted in the music/collab forum yesterday). I did use some of the stock reaper plugs too. ReaEQ, Master Limiter, and ReaComp, combined with many other Plugs. I would never have had as good a result with only MY ability/knowledge, with only the stock plugs.

@DEX you asked what you did wrong. I don't think you did anything wrong. Yes I agree 100% bout the monitoring situation. I made a tiny tiny investment/change and it yielded much greater results. I wonder though if you would have had the same results or better in a different mix formula.

I am going to try and incorporate some questions into my feedback in hopes that I can learn something about these stock plugs and their successful use. I would really like to figure out some equivalent FX chains that could duplicate some of the aftermarket plugs. I mean I know I love my SSL E and G channels, Scheps OMNI, C6, Joey Sturgis plugs, Fab Filter, etc... What would be beneficial to some of the newer Reaper users (myself absolutely included) is if the more experienced might also provide feedback that included information regarding the stock plugs.. I would love to use ReaComp if it was as intuitive and visually informative as C6, let alone how can I get that sound of and SSL Strip by combining a bunch of utilitarian boxes with sliders on them and next to no useful techniques documented (of course I am NOT referring to the Kenny G, Vids I love those for sure) or suggestions from other Contest participants who "nailed" some part of a mix?

I know what I want to do for August contest, I can make that song F'N jam! but I'm not so sure I'll get that result by fumbling around with some stock plugs that, to me don't seem to work as well.

I'm asking then, What am I missing? Is it because I'm such a newb that I dont know every possible effect/processor and how to use it based solely on numerical data?

Oh Well, I'm done with my tirade, and off to make an honest effort at mixing me some Rock and Roll!

Peace,
Dave

Last edited by Not_Here; 08-07-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote