Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 06-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #1
beyond
Human being with feelings

Default Copy/Paste Track ignores Routing (SOLVED)

Duplicate Track works fine, copying everything.

Track Copy/Paste in the same project, or across projects, Save/Load Track templates loses Track Routing information.

SOLVED

Last edited by Dstruct; 06-07-2007 at 04:19 AM.
beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
Dstruct

confirmed. bad one!
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
beyond

Thank you!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
Justin
Administrator

yeah routing is only preserved among the tracks copied.. so if you copy two tracks that route to eachother, that will be copied.. but otherwise it doesnt know what the state of tracks will be on paste, so it can't really accurately preserve that info
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
beyond

Yes, I assumed there would be internal IDs that would not bind in other contexts. Perhaps a matching Name search could rebind, if the Send, Recieve track names are serialized in the Clipboard. If not already, this is probably an undertaking..

It can be quite important to copy/paste tracks from older versions of the Project, maybe the IDs would likely be compatible then? If so, an Option may attampt it..

Perhaps, implementing this;
http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10060
would be the easiest, and would not only solve the problem of fully recovering older Tracks, but give so many other benefits.
Old 12-03-2022, 04:51 AM   #6
studer58

Default 15 year bump....has anything improved ?

I have 10 songs as discrete Reaper projects, all recorded sequentially at one session....with the same mic assignments and musicians on each song.

I'd like to save the FX track as a template track, with all of its send/receive settings...and be able to paste this onto each of the 10 song projects as an FX track, retaining the routing of the original.

Has anything improved over 15 years to allow the copying/pasting of FX receive settings (ideally as a saved template track..or just one at a time, from source project to duplicates ?

Within one project I can duplicate a track, and this routing info is retained...but I can't then copy this duplicated track to another project...or can I ?

Is there a workaround for this ?

BTW the original 2007 issue wasn't "solved" at all...it was simply confirmed to be a bug
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 05:19 AM   #7
vitalker

What do you expect when you save just one track? How can Reaper know where you want to send the track? Just save the track and all the send/receive tracks.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 05:43 AM   #8
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
...<snip>
BTW the original 2007 issue wasn't "solved" at all...it was simply confirmed to be a bug
Can you direct me where/who confirmed it to be a bug, please?
I can only see that the original creator (Justin) of the application confirmed the behavior as intended (also describing why). So state of the fact.

Not everything that does not work how you/we would imagine or want has to be explicitly a Bug.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:15 AM   #9
MonkeyBars

There are also some great scripts out there for copying routing from/to selected tracks etc. You can set up custom actions with them to set things up quickly...
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 02:36 PM   #10
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
yeah routing is only preserved among the tracks copied.. so if you copy two tracks that route to eachother, that will be copied.. but otherwise it doesnt know what the state of tracks will be on paste, so it can't really accurately preserve that info
So after 15 years left it is probably should be noted that a design of this thing was not really good.

Would it be such a huge internal change if REAPER handle sends by track GUIDs rather than track ID to handle same cases? This can make workflow way more developer and user friendly for example to copy tracks between projects that use exactly same aux track GUIDs.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:10 PM   #11
studer58

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
What do you expect when you save just one track? How can Reaper know where you want to send the track? Just save the track and all the send/receive tracks.
It's the effects bus track, with the receive amounts for each of the 8 instrumental tracks above it in the project. What's unreasonable about expecting Reaper to be able to copy those routings and parameters as a template track ? If I duplicate the track it DOES retain that information, but I'm looking to duplicate that effects track onto several other (tabbed-open) projects, and it wont duplicate in this way to another project...only within the same project. What I'm really seeking is a track (with all routings parameters) copy/paste function.

Anyhow, as MonkeyBars suggested...there is a solution !
Actions....SWS/S&M: Copy selected tracks receives
Actions....SWS/S&M: Paste receives to selected track
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote