Old 07-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #1
wendelgee2
Human being with feelings

Default Takes suddenly linked?

Hi folks,
So, when I opened up Reaper today, suddenly my once independent takes now seem to be somehow all linked together. If I try to split one take, all of the takes in the track split. If I try to drag and drop one take, it drags and drops all of them. They still operate as separate items (for instance, I can normalize one region of a single take at a time), but not as separate tracks.

Here's what it looks like:
http://imgur.com/a/hHqvW

Notice how I'm able to select and item, but all other takes above and below are also selected.

It's basically making it impossible (or super time consuming, anyway) to work with these takes.

Also, these takes were not colored like this previously. I'm not sure why the bottom two are suddenly green and purple.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: OMG. Because every snip happens to every take on the track, I have to go through and individually select each item on a take in order to play it front to back. This is getting worse and worse as I work, because each snip is magnified across every take/lane. Right click and select a region doesn't select all items in a take, and when I try to glue the take back together, it glues all of the items in every take into a single lane. I'm fucking losing my mind over here.

Last edited by wendelgee2; 07-14-2017 at 09:42 AM.
wendelgee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

Nothing is going to just suddenly happen. If things have changed, it's because you did something. It's quite possible you accidentally hit some key command and don't know what it was. But...

At least from the picture you posted, that looks like normal and expected behavior. I guess I can't speak to the colors, and I think you're mixing up terms at times in your post, but it really looks to me like it's supposed to. Without a "before" picture I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're expecting or what you think changed.

Reaper's take/comping system IS a little different from some other DAWs. I remember coming over from Sonar and going "WTF?!?" Once I got my head around it though, it really makes perfect sense, and today I can't even remember how Sonar does it. I opened a Sonar project the other day and was like "WTF?!?"

The basic assumption is that you're not going to want to hear more than one take at a time anyway, so you select the take you want to hear. If you want to switch to another take at some point, you split at that point and then select that other take in the new item. Keep in mind that splitting is non-destructive, so like you could split a section and move it and then just drag the edge of the item back to where you want and all of the takes are still there exactly the same as before your split.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
wendelgee2

Thanks.

I just exploded each take to new tracks, and it's fine like that. Or at least not completely infuriating. If memory serves, this is how Cubase handles tracking, so it could be that I had it set to Cubase settings and didn't really even realize it, and then the default behavior threw me for a loop.
wendelgee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendelgee2 View Post
Thanks.
If memory serves, this is how Cubase handles tracking, so it could be that I had it set to Cubase settings and didn't really even realize it, and then the default behavior threw me for a loop.
Probably depends on the version, I haven't used CB in years but they used to do what "Enable free item positioning" does in Reaper. Which makes takes just a bunch of items you can move around but on a single track. Not sure how they do it now though.

Like ashcat I now prefer the way it is in your screenshot for various reasons, horses, courses though.

There are quite a few different ways/combinations you can do takes workflow in Reaper but it takes a little exploration to find the best mix per user as there are lots of combinations of settings. Some don't get along with them very well though, mostly due to wherever they came from being different, they'll probably chime in soon lol.