Old 09-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #81
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietroom View Post
Everything is updated.. sd3 just still says to update it. Tried uni stall/reinstall and re update. No love. No response in tt forum either yet

What versions of the actual SD3 program and the base SD3 library are you showing in PM? This could be as simple as you only installed 64bit and it is nagging you to update 32bit as well.

Havent been on the regular TT forum in a while - I will go visit and see what is up.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #82
DeathByGuitar

2 questions:

1. Do S2.0 SDX's sound any different in Superior 3? I would assume not but I figured maybe the new sound engine might make some sort of difference.

2. Are the built-in effects good enough to make you wanna do all the mixes in the plugin? I'm not a huge fan of S2.0's plugins for various reasons but these new ones look pretty impressive.
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:22 AM   #83
thequietroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
What versions of the actual SD3 program and the base SD3 library are you showing in PM? This could be as simple as you only installed 64bit and it is nagging you to update 32bit as well.

Havent been on the regular TT forum in a while - I will go visit and see what is up.
i got some responses from TT (don't ask why my name is donna on the forum lol). I think I have an unusual thing happening. When I find a solution I'll post it in case anyone else runs into it.
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:56 PM   #84
Adrian Ursu

Hi ! If you are interested, here's a file with names for each of the midi notes.
I made this because I'm not used with Toontrack mapping.

Cheers !
Attached Files
File Type: txt Superior Drummer 3 (MIDI Note Names).txt (2.5 KB, 263 views)
Adrian Ursu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #85
LouDorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell Mather 5150 View Post
I would say if you have no need for drum replacement or other advanced features in SD3, and this is your first drum vsti, you might want to look at EZdrummer 2 instead. There is also Addictive Drums, BFD Eco, Steven Slate Drums EX. I'm not sure if Addictive Drums still has a demo, but there are plenty of youtube videos and reviews for the aforementioned Drum vsti's. Superior Drummer 3 will do everything short of making you breakfast, but if you don't need advanced features, I'd say save your money and go with EZDrummer 2 or one of the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequietroom View Post
EZ drummer 2 may be more practical for you. Its much lighter and probably a little easier to dial up a quick sound.

And its a lot less expensive.
Thanks for the replies. I will do more home work, watch videos, try some demos, appreciate it very much.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:26 PM   #86
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByGuitar View Post
1. Do S2.0 SDX's sound any different in Superior 3? I would assume not but I figured maybe the new sound engine might make some sort of difference.
Not that I noticed, no.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #87
Pinknoise

Quote:
2 questions:

2. Are the built-in effects good enough to make you wanna do all the mixes in the plugin? I'm not a huge fan of S2.0's plugins for various reasons but these new ones look pretty impressive.
The plugins are much better in this version. Back then plugins were still very expensive and companies were rare. So they picked Sonalksis wich were the best bang for the buck back then. I agree they are not my favorite.

Coding has improved immensly and the knowledge is out there for coders to learn how to make the plugins shine. Now you can get stellar results from a lot of small companies selling plugins for 30-50$. I think Overloud did the ones in SD3. It's hard to replace your favorite plugins with those though when you are used to how you like your kick with a certain plugin chain for exemple. Still I value the mixer's preset for quick mixing when jamming or to learn from other mixers.

Last edited by Pinknoise; 09-23-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:27 PM   #88
Judders

Quote:
2 questions:

No, the updates are just the fancy graphics... which are a nice touch, I'm not gonna lie!

One thing that is better across the board with SDX's and EZX's is the tuning, if that's something you'd use.

So I pulled the trigger. Still waiting for the additional bleed to download, but from what I've played around with so far, I'm a happy camper.

One question: is the virtual drum pad still around for auditioning kit pieces at varying velocities?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #89
Judders

Has the virtual drum pad gone?

I just finished downloading the surround packages. I was a bit disappointed with them (for stereo use)... if you want black album kind of bigness they would be good blended in low, but for natural room sounds the Roots SDX ORTF mic's are much better. I guess next pay check I'll get the rods and mallets Roots SDX!

The included kits are great though. Roots was the only SDX before SD3 Core that had such wide dynamics.

I've seen lots of people at the purple place moaning about how the demo's didn't have any 70's style drums, but the Gretch toms, Ludwig muffled bass drum, and Ludwig SuperSensitive snare are spot on... if you know how to mix them right.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:58 PM   #90
DeathByGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post

I just finished downloading the surround packages. I was a bit disappointed with them (for stereo use)... if you want black album kind of bigness they would be good blended in low, but for natural room sounds the Roots SDX ORTF mic's are much better. I guess next pay check I'll get the rods and mallets Roots SDX!

The included kits are great though. Roots was the only SDX before SD3 Core that had such wide dynamics.

I've seen lots of people at the purple place moaning about how the demo's didn't have any 70's style drums, but the Gretch toms, Ludwig muffled bass drum, and Ludwig SuperSensitive snare are spot on... if you know how to mix them right.
Between EZD, SD3 and nemerous expansions, Toontrack has 70's style drums out the ass but there will never be enough of them for some people. I could go the rest of my life without hearing all those big John Bonham drums ever again and be perfectly happy.
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:01 PM   #91
Judders

Quote:
Between EZD, SD3 and nemerous expansions, Toontrack has 70's style drums out the ass but there will never be enough of them for some people. I could go the rest of my life without hearing all those big John Bonham drums ever again and be perfectly happy.
It was the dry kind of 70's drums, not the massive Bonham drums they were taking about.

I think it's people who want samples to sound like a record already. I don't want that, which is why I like Toontrack drum samples so much.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:36 AM   #92
ivansc

aGREED, BUT i AM AMAZED THAT PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING, BEARING IN MIND JUST HOW MUCH VARIATION THERE IS ONCE YOU START EXPLORING all OF THE PRESETS.

Damn arthritis bad cant touch type. sorry
Old 10-02-2017, 04:31 AM   #93
Judders

Quote:
aGREED, BUT i AM AMAZED THAT PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING, BEARING IN MIND JUST HOW MUCH VARIATION THERE IS ONCE YOU START EXPLORING all OF THE PRESETS.

Damn arthritis bad cant touch type. sorry
No problem, Ivan

Yeah, I've only scratched the surface in terms of combining kit pieces after a few hours of playing around.

Hey, Ivan, you've been using it longer than most; has the little virtual drum pad for auditioning kit pieces and articulations gone?
Old 10-02-2017, 06:06 AM   #94
ivansc

Dunno - I dont use it myself. I have to get on the studio machine later today so I will check for ya. Failing that I can always ask on the beta forum.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:16 AM   #95
Judders

Quote:
Dunno - I dont use it myself. I have to get on the studio machine later today so I will check for ya. Failing that I can always ask on the beta forum.
Cheers!
Old 10-02-2017, 07:46 AM   #96
TheMaartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Just hold down the Ctrl & Alt keys (Windows; don't know the combo on Mac) when you hover the mouse pointer over the desired kit piece. That will open the drum pad.
TheMaartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:53 AM   #97
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaartian View Post
Just hold down the Ctrl & Alt keys (Windows; don't know the combo on Mac) when you hover the mouse pointer over the desired kit piece. That will open the drum pad.
Sweet! It's the same on Mac.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #98
BerkeleyBernie

Toontrack is selling SDX packs for 40% off this month. I'm primarily a folk/rock/pop guy (i.e. Ryan Adams, Counting Crows, Tom Petty, etc.) I already have Music City (for brushes) and Indiependent.

I plan on getting SD3 upgrade, so my question is: given the extensive new libraries in SD3 and my tastes, are there any SDX packs still worth getting while on sale? I thought perhaps Custom & Vintage, or the Roots packs, but maybe that territory is well covered in the SD3 libraries?

Just doing home recording singer/songwriter stuff, so not looking at this from a professional studio production perspective.
BerkeleyBernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #99
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkeleyBernie View Post
Toontrack is selling SDX packs for 40% off this month. I'm primarily a folk/rock/pop guy (i.e. Ryan Adams, Counting Crows, Tom Petty, etc.) I already have Music City (for brushes) and Indiependent.

I plan on getting SD3 upgrade, so my question is: given the extensive new libraries in SD3 and my tastes, are there any SDX packs still worth getting while on sale? I thought perhaps Custom & Vintage, or the Roots packs, but maybe that territory is well covered in the SD3 libraries?

Just doing home recording singer/songwriter stuff, so not looking at this from a professional studio production perspective.
For singer/songwriter I would say that you will not want for anything with the SD3 library. You already have brushes, rods and mallets, so really the Roots packs won't add much unless you are seriously into jazz or you need a Decca tree mic setup.

If you are desperate to lighten your wallet, I would advise Roots sticks over Custom & Vintage - the dynamics and room ambience are a lot better in Roots (remember that C&V is one of the first ever SDX libraries, and it lacks the velocity layers of later ones). Roots is unsurpassed in terms of dynamics, but unless you are doing a lot of super light touch jazzy stuff, SD3 core library will be fine.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:53 AM   #100
ivansc

The more recent SDX have all been updated to include SD3 aware graphics and to take advantage of fair few of the new features, so it might be worth your while checking out the newer ones. I have both volumes of roots SDX and for my particular uses they are great - more genre specific than even the Americana and Indie EZX/SDX content IMO.

Although FWIW the Custom and Vintage are pretty good, despite being one of the original SDX packs.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #101
Judders

Quote:
The more recent SDX have all been updated to include SD3 aware graphics and to take advantage of fair few of the new features, so it might be worth your while checking out the newer ones. I have both volumes of roots SDX and for my particular uses they are great - more genre specific than even the Americana and Indie EZX/SDX content IMO.

Although FWIW the Custom and Vintage are pretty good, despite being one of the original SDX packs.
After I got Roots Sticks, I hardly ever used C&V again. Roots sticks makes for a great natural rock kit (not stadium rock, more indie rock kinda stuff). The room tone of C&V is kinda boxy, which is okay for dry 70's style sounds, but the lack of velocity layers bugs me.

Every library has a different velocity curve to it though, so you have to be aware of that when comparing them.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:44 AM   #102
ivansc

Funnily enough I find myself using my EZXs in SD3 a lot more than I ever did in SD2 but for the life of me I coudlnt tell you why, it just er "feels" better?

Also doing far less layering of AD and SD than I used to with SD2, needless to say.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:36 AM   #103
Judders

Quote:
Funnily enough I find myself using my EZXs in SD3 a lot more than I ever did in SD2 but for the life of me I coudlnt tell you why, it just er "feels" better?

Also doing far less layering of AD and SD than I used to with SD2, needless to say.
Oh how I wish the Twisted Kit EZX had more velocity layers! I'd use it a lot more. As it is, it's relegated to obvious looping, because it would never fool anyone that it might be a live performance, but it could convince people that it is a loop of one or two bars of a performance..
Old 11-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #104
lolilol1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDorn View Post
Thanks for the replies. I will do more home work, watch videos, try some demos, appreciate it very much.
Wait til Black Friday though. A couple of years ago, SD2 was sold around $90, that is cheaper than EZ Drummer.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #105
Alleyoop

I haven't seen any sign of a Black Friday reduction.
Alleyoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #106
dug dog

No big surprise there as it's pretty much brand new.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #107
Archimedes

Quote:

Layering AD and SD? Or mixing up kit pieces
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:57 AM   #108
Alleyoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
No big surprise there as it's pretty much brand new.
Yeah, that's what I thought. There was some expectant talk a few posts back, I thought they might know something that I don't.
Alleyoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:10 AM   #109
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Layering AD and SD? Or mixing up kit pieces
I usually do it by feeding the same MIDI to the two romplers, which means you ahve full independant control over everything in each plug.
Can get some huge fat drum sounds that way.
I also own a rather nice set of Zildjian cymbals that only work in BFD (which I dont much like for regular kit use) and often run that with JUST the cymbal part MIDI routed to it.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:04 AM   #110
xpoes

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I thought. There was some expectant talk a few posts back, I thought they might know something that I don't.
EZdrummer 25% off. Had high hopes for a bit more. Alas...
Old 11-23-2017, 05:42 AM   #111
dug dog

The email I received said 40% off. Selling for $107 USD. Maybe not the same deal offered in the land down under.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:09 AM   #112
Archimedes

Quote:
I usually do it by feeding the same MIDI to the two romplers, which means you ahve full independant control over everything in each plug.
Can get some huge fat drum sounds that way.
I also own a rather nice set of Zildjian cymbals that only work in BFD (which I dont much like for regular kit use) and often run that with JUST the cymbal part MIDI routed to it.
Interesting. Never considered layering. I do use pieces from AD, SD, BFD (decatoms), and the various NI percs. I'll have to experiment with layering though.

Thanks
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #113
ivansc

Archi - be careful, though - sometimes the end result is appallingly bad - due to mis-matches!

Be warned.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:12 AM   #114
BerkeleyBernie

GuitarCenter has an "18% off single product $49 or more" promotion that was just emailed, good through December 18th. I just used it to buy the SD2->SD3 upgrade for $163.18 ($199 GC retail price, $210 at Toontrack site). The sales associate confirmed the discount would also apply to full SD3 retail (and I suppose EZ2->SD3 or any Toontrack product they have over $49).

Call 877-687-5403 now thru Dec. 18. No code necessary, just mention the 18% off promotion. My sales guy was at x3342, if you want to throw a little holiday cheer his way.
BerkeleyBernie is offline   Reply With Quote