Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-13-2018, 06:00 AM   #1
monty
Human being with feelings

Default Migration - Kubuntu to Manjaro KDE

today I have tested manjaro KDE in a V-box and it seems to run faster and more stable than my Kubuntu 18.04 ...
Kubuntu is running mostly stable but rarely the mouse freezes.

some questions about migration:
1. can I use my kubuntu KDE configs or the complete home folder w/ manjaro KDE?
2. in kubuntu I use Jack2 w/ Cadence but Jackd is installed by default for Manjaro, should I switch to jack2 and is there an installation command which installs all the required packages and dependencies?

I've already found wine-staging in Manjaro, I guess I can continue to use the existing wine bottles when migrating?
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
JamesPeters

I can't help you for specifically what you're asking, but I figure I should ask this question: do you think your issue might have something to do with your video driver?

I periodically experienced small freezes in MX Linux and it turned out I just had to select the Intel GPU driver specifically and not the default one.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I can't help you for specifically what you're asking, but I figure I should ask this question: do you think your issue might have something to do with your video driver?

I periodically experienced small freezes in MX Linux and it turned out I just had to select the Intel GPU driver specifically and not the default one.
Hi James,
it's not too bad w/ kubuntu, performance is good except infrequent freezing of the mouse ...
I have already tested nvidia proprietary drivers but the best performance I get with the nouveau driver and composite set to xrender.
I like the PPA and package management of kubuntu, but Manjaro seems to be a little more stable & faster.
Manjaro-KDE RT, AMD FX-8350, 16GB, nvidia GT 630, Multiscreen (2x 22", 1x 15"), Reaper (latest) Theme: iLogic Next, Interface: Tascam US-16x08, ControlSurface: Tascam US-2400, Monitors: JBL 4412A, Tascam VL-S3 & Alesis Elevate 3 mkII
Old 11-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
JamesPeters

I'm using MX Linux so I'm using XFCE, and I enabled Compton (it seemed nicer than XFCE compositor) around the time I chose the Intel driver over "modsetting". I have no experience with other DEs that I recall (the last time I used Linux for any length of time, I don't remember the specific distro and I never messed around with the DE or even cared what it was lol).

I'm not picky about package managers. The ones in MX Linux are fine (mostly Synaptic but sometimes I'll use MX Package Installer if I want to go "bleeding edge" (Debian backports or flatpack). I'm avoiding most things that aren't "standard" for the distro.

MX Linux is definitely stable and faster than Windows 7. I don't know what part of that can be attributed to MX Linux distro specifically, but it's around 30% (or a bit better) for CPU in Reaper and other CPU-intensive tasks than Windows 7.

Anyway I won't try to convince you to stick with Kubuntu since it's probably not a big deal to switch distros (but don't take my word for it). But, I wouldn't be surprised if you could resolve your issue in Kubuntu. It can be something minor and "right under your nose". I'd search around Linux forums opening up many browser tabs, and scouring the info.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:15 AM   #5
Snap

Quote:
can I use my kubuntu KDE configs or the complete home folder w/ manjaro KDE?
You should be able to drop your current home configs into the new system. But better don't go blindly. Check what Manjaro has already there. It's not like a barebones vanilla system. Manjaro use to have some neat configs as default (and some you won't like to keep too). You might like to keep some configs and dot files, or parts of them added into your buntu ones.

Quote:
should I switch to jack2 and is there an installation command which installs all the required packages and dependencies?
They cannot co-exist. You must use one or the other. There's not a huge difference and it's mostly related on what you want to do and how you plan to use jack. Though.... (I might be wrong here) IIRC, Cadence depends on Jack2??!!

This might help

https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaud...ce_jack1_jack2

PS, Did you optimized your system for performance in any way or just living on the distro defaults? I guess you can make the buntu faster with some tweaks and disabling uneeded stuff and services eating up resources for no reason.

Last edited by Snap; 11-15-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
monty

yes it's fully optimized and fast, no xruns ... only the mouse freezes sometimes ...
the only error message from my log files is following:
Code:
pice-vdagent[1873]: Cannot access vdagent virtio channel /dev/virtio-ports/com.redhat.
I have installed thunderbird 60.31 and google-chrome for checks between the rec. sessions and when using TB or Chrome, I guess that could be the reason