Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-08-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Default (old pre-release thread) REAPER for Linux: general discussion/setup/bugs

This thread is for the general discussion of setup, bugs, issues, tips & tricks, etc, regarding REAPER for Linux only. Please refrain from polluting it with other topics or pro/anti-OS discussion.

Please check out: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux for further details.

Use https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=193791 to discuss the use of Linux plug-ins, and https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=193761 for Windows plug-ins
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 09-20-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I've created this thread to discuss how to run the developer version on linux. It seems to me that the old huge thread has outlived its usefulness and is probably not the best start for a user seeking information about how to run reaper on linux.

General advice, bugs, issues, tips & tricks, etc are on topic, the usefulness of a linux port not

I'm creating another thread to discuss how to run windows vsts in the linux version, as it appears to me to be a different topic.
Good idea but the thread title gave me hopes of access to the Reaper source code
Old 07-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
Good idea but the thread title gave me hopes of access to the Reaper source code
Don't I wish
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 07-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Updated the original post with some more information/etc.

Might post more info here eventually:
(but not today)
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #5
Finnish

IMHO audio optimizations for linux should be gathered here?
Old 07-09-2017, 12:12 AM   #6
swindus

I would add LV2 plugins to the not supported features of Linux Reaper too.
Hint: There are a lot of great LV2 plugins avialable!!! ;-)
swindus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:03 AM   #7
MusicMan74

Quote:

The stock build should run (hopefully) on any modern Linux system, it requires libstdc++.so.5, and by default requires GTK+ v3 to be installed, though if you recompile libSwell.so (todo: link), you can also target GTK+ v2.
Is installing a low-latency kernel and configuring an audio group 'required' as described by Ted Felix here? http://tedfelix.com/linux/linux-midi...latency-kernel
MusicMan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #8
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan74 View Post
Is installing a low-latency kernel and configuring an audio group 'required' as described by Ted Felix here? http://tedfelix.com/linux/linux-midi...latency-kernel
You'll want the audio group, with your user as a member.
The low latency kernel is optional, but will yield better
performance for cpu-intensive music-making.
If you don't notice performance issues, follow your normal
workflow regarding such changes/upgrades. And the old adage,
'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', should be on page 1 of
the manual.

Your cpufreq settings are also a factor, If they are not
set to scale on demand, or to run at maximum speed,
you won't get your monies worth, when the system is under
heavy load.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #9
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
'if it ain't broke, don't fix it',
A bad idea regarding performance issues, as the next urgent project will be more demanding.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #10
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
A bad idea regarding performance issues, as the next urgent project will be more demanding.

-Michael
I'd tend to agree. My modus operandi is to pound the system as hard as I can, if it's xrun free, then I know that a lighter project won't cause problem.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #11
wastee

Default Can Reaper display Chinese?

Reaper can not display Chinese. When I paste Chinese in Reaper, i get squares. And i can't type Chinese in reaper using Fcitx. It just can't swich to Fcitx in Reaper

Maybe i missing something in setup?
wastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:06 AM   #12
4duhwinnn

Quote:

-Michael
You've missed the context of both the question I replied to,
and my reply itself. The questions are those of someone
new to linux audio, and my reply was to proceed based on
existing conditions and experience. Most people won't ever have
a string of 'urgent projects', each more demanding than the last,
but will develope a routine and workflow that evolves with increasing knowledge and experience.

The most bitter linux haters were new linux users once,
were promised a fanboi's treasure, rushed in blindly,
were then poorly supported, and staggered away from the trainwreck,
never to return.

If_it's_broke,_fix_it

If_it_ain't_broke,_don't_fix_it,_write_a_song...
Cheers
Old 07-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #13
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan74 View Post
AFAIK, nothing of that is required for reaper to run, but one can take a few steps to get lower latency without audio dropouts.

I'll try to explain in a simplified manner, but I'll probably ramble and get long winded. I might edit this post again later to make it more comprehensible

Linux low latency audio is based on POSIX real time threads. A thread of a higher priority will preempt threads of lower priority and will run until it's finished. The idea is to order the priority of the threads, so that the soundcard IRQ has the highest, then the audio threads, and below that the threads dealing with hardware like the screen, disk io, etc, and lowest of all the other programs running on the computer.

Kernels:

Kernels can be of several different types types of scheduling models, the ones we are interested in are capable of preempting a running thread to run one of a higher priority. If the kernel can't do this, you can still run reaper but you will have to use bigger buffers and you risk dropouts.

The kernels of interest are referred to as lowlatency and realtime. A lowlatency kernel can preempt threads. The realtime kernel in addition tries to maximize the surface of the kernel itself that can be preempted, so it can achieve a lower kernel scheduling latency (the maximum time it takes the kernel to start running a thread).

If you have a deadline of 1.4ms, and it takes the kernel 10ms to schedule your audio, you get a dropout.

The only relevant difference is that the realtime kernel can achieve a lower scheduling latency than the lowlatency kernel.

To see what kernel you have, if the output of "uname -a" contains "PREEMPT" then it's a lowlatency kernel, and if it contains "PREEMPT RT" then it's a realtime kernel.

Computer hardware can cause problems in scheduling, as can software drivers. Things like NMI/SMI hardware interrupts or wifi, bt, video, or other software drivers.

User privileges:

To be able to schedule threads real time, the user running reaper (or a group he belongs to) has to be able to use "rtprio". The max value is 99, but there are some kernel threads running there, so I'd suggest setting rtprio to 98.

It would also be bad for low latency if the system discarded or swapped RAM containing reaper/plugin code/data to disk, thus the reason to give the user the capability to set "memlock". My suggestion is to set it to unlimited, but you can set a smaller size if you want to.

Normally there are very few programs using memlock on linux, basically only your audio programs, so it seems wise to make sure that it all stays in RAM, but if you go too far you can swap out the entire OS (user space) and might have to do a hard reset.

To check what your user capabilities are run "ulimit -a".

Soundcard IRQ priorities:

The realtime kernel exports most of the interrupt handlers to run as threads in user space, as does the lowlatency kernel when booted with the "threadirq" boot flag.

The IRQ handlers will run at priority 50, with some kernel house keeping threads at 99 and some software timers at 1.

Setting the thread handling the soundcard or the usb hub IRQ to a high priority will make sure that it runs before most of the other interrupt handlers.

Reccomended priorities:

99 kernel threads
95 sound card interrupt handler
80 jackd/or reaper (ALSA)
50 hardware interrupt handlers
1 software timers
0 most threads

This pretty much covers the configuration of low latency audio on Linux. Hope it's useful and that I didn't ramble too much

Last edited by Jack Winter; 07-15-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #14
mschnell

Quote:
Reccomended priorities:

99 kernel threads
95 sound card interrupt handler
80 jackd/or reaper (ALSA)
50 hardware interrupt handlers
1 software timers
0 most threads

This pretty much covers the configuration of low latency audio on Linux. Hope it's useful and that I didn't ramble too much
Very interesting information !!!

Regarding the other Thread here:

1) What about the VSTs ? (I suppose Reaper handles them as (Audio) threads with the appropriate priority setting

2) What about Windows VST running in Wine ? Can the the "bridged" processes running via Wine be assigned decent priorities ?

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 07-16-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:57 AM   #15
Jack Winter

Quote:
[b]Very[\b] interesting information !!!

Regarding the other Thread here:

1) What about the VSTs ? (I suppose REeaper handles them as (Audio) threads with the appropriate priority setting

2) What about Windows VST running in Wine ? Can the the "bridged" processes running via Wine be assigned decent priorities ?

-Michael
Yes it does. It makes some calls from a realtime context (audio processing), and others like GUI code from a non realtime context. This ought to work fine with linux vsts.

The interesting problem is with windows vsts, as they run as a different process with their own threads. I wrote a patch for wine many years ago called wine-rt, which allows windows programs that ask for elevated thread priorities to get their threads scheduled as realtime threads. Been using this for years to run reaper in wine with good success. With some plugins I can see them using this functionality to set a high priority thread.

This patch is not part of normal wine, but you could patch wine and build it yourself to get this capability. Some distros (kxstudio, maybe others) might have a wine-rt package, and the functionality has been added to wine-staging, but it needs to be activated by setting a couple of environment variables. For wine-rt it's WINE_RT and WINE_SRV_RT, and for wine-staging it's STAGING_RT_PRIORITY_BASE and STAGING_RT_PRIORITY_SERVER.

Regarding LinVst both me and osxmidi have recently added realtime support, albeit in different ways. To add osxmidi's realtime support you have to build it with a special makefile, and it will try to run lin-vst-server with all threads as realtime.

I submitted a patch that hasn't made it into the main LinVst repo, but which is available on my github fork: https://github.com/jhernberg/LinVst/tree/realtime

This patch takes a different approach. When reaper calls the plugin, it asks for the priority of the calling thread, then sends that info over the named pipes and finally sets the same priority of thread handling the request in wine. This means if reaper is asking linvst to process audio from a realtime thread, then the corresponding thread in lin-vst-server.exe will get the same priority.

I suppose one could even combine the two patches and run them at the same time. But haven't had much time to play with this, as I need to work on music and not hack code

So to sum it up, linux vsts ought to work fine even at low latencies. Windows vsts will work fine in LinVst without doing anything special, but for lower latency it could benefit from:

1. Use and configure realtime support in either wine-rt or wine-staging.
2. Use either osxmidi's or my recent realtime support in LinVst

I'll try to get around to cleaning up my linvst github and write a howto in the other thread.

Last edited by Jack Winter; 07-16-2017 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #16
mschnell

Really interesting stuff, indeed !!!
-Michael
Old 07-20-2017, 02:54 PM   #17
obx777

Default Thank You!

Just want to say thank you for doing Reaper in Linux to all those involved.

I was notified by a friend who is still on Windows, "hey dude I think Reaper is on Linux now." I was like, "no man that is some stuff that has been sitting for years, that is not a real build." Then I started searching.

Then I found a .deb file for Reaper here:
http://www.bandshed.net/packages/reaper-linux/
Not sure who is posting these .deb files for us Linux dummies who don't know that package and library trickery but thanks!! For those not familiar a .deb file will click and install on Ubuntu (and others I think) like a Windows install program.

I downloaded, clicked and Unbutu studio loaded it up fast!, I selected JACK audio (had it running already) and BAM instant Reaper on my Ubuntu system!!!

Also, had an issue with an audio stuttering start and it was fixed before I could even comment here!

Reaper in the past has alway "just worked" for me. It just works.

Who is running the beta testing and where do we comment if we find anything?

I would post on you main Download page that Beta Reaper Linux is here!!
obx777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #18
marxmarv

Default not enough recursion

5.50rc6, Debian 9
I can't load JSFX. The directories themselves are presented to me as the scripts.
Likewise, the VST search path in Preferences -> VST doesn't appear to be searched recursively on Linux as it was in Windows. Possibly the same bug?
(btw, great job on loading VSTs once found, especially @osxmidi . All my Windows plugs load great.)
marxmarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:27 AM   #19
jprieto

Default This works?

I tried this but audio was choppy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpnfg-urzR0

but many swear that it works

he did not expand on step 5 though
jprieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:04 AM   #20
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprieto View Post
I tried this but audio was choppy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpnfg-urzR0

but many swear that it works

he did not expand on step 5 though
This deals with installing the windows version of reaper, nowdays there is a native linux version available that imo is a lot better, except for maybe plugin support. It's still a prerelease version, thus a work in progress.

The good thing is that by following the video a few basic tasks have been taken care of, and kxstudio normally improves the audio experience on debian distros!

I'm sorry that I can't offer much help about the specifics of debian/kxstudio, as I use a different distro myself, something that could be seen analogous to a different but closely related operating system. I'd also prefer if we could keep this thread focused on reaper and not on how to configure linux distros, but a good and friendly place to get help with linux audio is: https://linuxmusicians.com

My recommendation would be to stay with the above, and then to install the linux version of reaper, as I explained before. Download the pre release tarball and unpack it.

That said choppy/crackling audio is normally due to too low buffering settings, and possibly a few other configuration issues. What kind of cpu/soundcard do you have? What settings did you use when starting jack from cadence?
Old 09-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #21
Jack Winter

Good news!

Cockos just uploaded a 32 bit version to landoleet!
Old 09-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #22
Justin
Administrator

We're also going to move to a newer gcc version (6.3) for the builds, I think, which means some older linux distributions will no longer work. e.g. Debian requires stretch, Ubuntu 16.04+ (14.04 is no good, at least, in between I'm not sure).
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #23
4duhwinnn

Regarding 32 bit linux reaper, people tend to forget,
or new vst users who are unfamiliar with the various histories,
that some of the really great sound designers and dsp coders
were pushing the envelope in 32bit, and quite a few plugin experiments
were successfully pulled off, by creating plugins with
synthedit/synthmaster, that are as useful and delightful
now, as they were in the days when sound was only _half_ as good
as 64 bit sound.

Some of these oldies will work better in a 32 bit system,
sans any bridging, so linux Reaper in 32 bit will be
most welcome, and worthy of it's own ssd.
Thankyou! Hope it is not difficult to maintain.
Cheers
Old 09-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #24
andy_landy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
We're also going to move to a newer gcc version (6.3) for the builds, I think, which means some older linux distributions will no longer work. e.g. Debian requires stretch, Ubuntu 16.04+ (14.04 is no good, at least, in between I'm not sure).
this is a regrettable decision. i am running a release of devuan from this april, which i would hardly class as particularly old, and it fails with CXXABI_1.3.9 not found. sigh. i have visions of upgrade hell
andy_landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:07 AM   #25
klankschap

Quote:
This thread is for the general discussion of setup, bugs, issues, tips & tricks, etc, regarding REAPER for Linux only.
on linux ubuntu, reaper (v5.50) will still crash when enabling the python script support.
i've have python 3.6.2 from the anaconda distribution.

Is there a work around?

.Floris
klankschap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #26
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klankschap View Post
on linux ubuntu, reaper (v5.50) will still crash when enabling the python script support.
i've have python 3.6.2 from the anaconda distribution.

Is there a work around?

.Floris
Maybe try to install python2 too? I have both p2 & p3 installed and reaper picks p2.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #27
klankschap

Quote:
Maybe try to install python2 too? I have both p2 & p3 installed and reaper picks p2.
That did not help.
i tried py27 within anaconda.
if python enabled, it crashes as soon as you want to pick a script.

.F
klankschap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #28
cern.th.skei

not sure if here and now is the best time for reporting linux bugs, but.. if i change the default pitch shifter mode (for example, to elastique 3.2.3 efficient) in projet settings (and click save as default project settings), it won't 'stick'.. next time reaper starts, it's back to soundtouch..

(latest v5.50 from lol, 64bit)

- tor-helge
Old 09-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #29
eric71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cern.th.skei View Post
not sure if here and now is the best time for reporting linux bugs, but.. if i change the default pitch shifter mode (for example, to elastique 3.2.3 efficient) in projet settings (and click save as default project settings), it won't 'stick'.. next time reaper starts, it's back to soundtouch..

(latest v5.50 from lol, 64bit)

- tor-helge
I just checked on my system - 64 bit Mint KDE, and elastique 3.2.3 Pro seems to stick after saving as the default project setting, closing Reaper and restarting. I will play with some other settings and see if it is consistent, but it seems to work ok here.
eric71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:02 AM   #30
fruen

Default JACK transport

JACK transport is supported now, it seems. Maybe Jack Winter should put it in his fantastic wiki? excellent work
fruen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:22 AM   #31
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruen View Post
JACK transport is supported now, it seems. Maybe Jack Winter should put it in his fantastic wiki? excellent work
Yes I will, there are a few things I ought to update/fix. Just a question of time... Note that afaik it can only slave to jack transport, master support is still missing. I also don't know how well it would be able to loop, as there is no provision in the jack API for looping..
Old 05-10-2018, 12:47 AM   #32
fruen

Quote:
Yes I will, there are a few things I ought to update/fix. Just a question of time... Note that afaik it can only slave to jack transport, master support is still missing. I also don't know how well it would be able to loop, as there is no provision in the jack API for looping..
True
Old 05-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #33
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruen View Post
How does it work? So it's possible to e.g. sync Reaper with Renoise?
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #34
kytdkut

I had updated ffmpeg to 4.0 and REAPER could not play video files, reverting back to 3.4.2 fixes the issue

i'm using arch linux, is there any other info on my system that could be useful for debugging?
kytdkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:37 AM   #35
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytdkut View Post
I had updated ffmpeg to 4.0 and REAPER could not play video files, reverting back to 3.4.2 fixes the issue

i'm using arch linux, is there any other info on my system that could be useful for debugging?
Reaper doesn't support ffmpeg 4.0 for a while.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:23 AM   #36
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Reaper doesn't support ffmpeg 4.0 for a while.
FWIW, I just played a mp4 file with h264/aac content in reaper with 4.0-2 on Archlinux. VLC v3 as always not working.

Edit: I just saw that I have ffmpeg2.8 installed too.. Try installing that to see if it starts working again.

Last edited by Jack Winter; 05-15-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:07 AM   #37
fruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
How does it work? So it's possible to e.g. sync Reaper with Renoise?
Yes believe so