Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
yhertogh
Human being with feelings

Default Announcing Roland VS-2480 control surface support!

Folks,

We now have Roland VS-2480 Control Surface Support!

The plug-in can be found here: https://stash.reaper.fm/3503/reaper_rol_VS_cs.dll, unfortunately only reaper 32 bit on PC is supported.
Download the plugin and put the dll into c:\Program Files\Reaper\Plugins\

Reaper and the VS talk to eachother across midi using MIDI CC messages everytime you move a fader, a pan knob, or press and depress a button. Make sure the VS and the PC hosting reaper have got bidirectional midi connectivity. This can be done with a MIDI capable interface using the VS's MIDI IN/OUTs, or the Presonus V-fire, with the MIDI-over-RBUS ports. When using the VS-2480 MIDI IN/OUTs, make sure you've selected the MIDI OUT port to function as an OUT, NOT a THRU (refer to the manual inorder to verify this). When using the V-fire MIDI ports, make sure they are selected in the VS, again refer to the manual.

Within the plugin these MIDI CC messages are set to a fixed value, so you need to program the VS to use the same values. In order to do this you need to create a user control surface template in the control surface menu on the VS. Set the USR template to the below values:

Faders 1-16: CC21-CC36, Master fader: CC20
Pan Knobs 1-16: CC1-CC16
TR Status buttons: CC61-CC76
Shift button: CC110
IN1-16 button : CC90
IN17-24 button: CC91
TR1-16 button: CC92
TR17-24 button: CC93
Play: CC117
Rec: CC118
Stop: CC116
Zero: CC115
CH Edit buttons:CC41-56
Phrase/Pad Play: CC119
Scrub: CC107
[0] -> [9] buttons: CC80->CC89
JogWheel:CC 0
Phrase/Region/automix:CC102
Automix:CC94

Then in Reaper make sure the MIDI IN/OUTs that you are going to be using for control surface functionality are NOT enabled in Preferences/Audio/MIDI Devices.

In Reaper, do NOT enable the midi ins/outs in Devices/Midi. Instead, go to Preferences/Control Surfaces, click the add button and select the VS-2480 control surface. If it doesnt show up there it means you've put the plugin in the wrong directory. Select the appropriate midi IN and OUT. Click OK.
On the VS hit SHIFT/V-fader. The control surface should jump to life. If not select the bank switches a couple of times (the 4 buttons on the right hand side of the pan knobs).

Features :

Support for 64 tracks, faders, pan, mute,solo, select, rec-arm and 16 sends/receives per track. Banking via the IN1-16/IN17-24/TR1-6/TR17-24 buttons.

PAN by default does increments with 5%, can be adjusted via INI file. Shift+PAN increments with 1%

Transport support: PLAY= play/stop, REC=rec, STOP=pause, ZERO=home. PLAY/REC LED is lit accordingly.

If track exists, TR.STATUS LED = green, if not, TR.STATUS LED is off. Pressing shift+unlit TR.STATUS LED creates a track in reaper.

Pressing a green TR.STATUS button solos the track, LED turns orange. Pressing SHIFT+TR.STATUS mutes the track, LED turns red. Solo takes LED precedence. If shift is pressed down only mute is shown if both soloed and muted.

MCP_VIEW support: control surface either shows all tracks, or only visible tracks. Adjusted in INI file.

Track Select support: pressing a CH.EDIT button selects a track. pressing SHIFT+CH.EDIT allows selecting multiple tracks. Selected track show a green CH.EDIT LED.

Rec-arm support: pressing SHIFT+REC rec-arms all selected tracks, unselects all tracks, and shows the routing matrix window. Pressing SHIFT+REC gets rid of the window (but keeps tracks rec-armed). CH.EDIT led turns RED. If selecting a rec-armed track, LED turns orange. When track is selected and rec-armed, pressing SHIFT+REC unarms the tracks and unselects the track. Press SHIFT+REC again to get rid of the routing matrix if needed.

Send/Receive Mode: when the surface starts, it is showing the tracks, PHRASE PAD/PLAY LED is green. When pressing PHRASE PAD/PLAY on the surface, send mode is activated for the (lowest) selected track(LED red). The I/O window is displayed for the track. The master fader now controls the volume of this track. All send volumes are shown on faders 1-16, pans can be controlled by the pan pots. Active sends are shown with a green TR.STATUS LED. Pressing a lit TR.STATUS LED mutes the send (LED red). Pressing the CH.EDIT button monoes the send (LED orange). Press PHRASE PAD/PLAY again to go back to normal mode. Receive mode is activated with pressing SHIFT+PHRASE PAD/PLAY

Marker Support: the first 10 markers are displayed on the surface using the [0]..[9] buttons on the surface (you might need to bank once to see them upon start up of the surface!). If the marker doesnt exist, led is off. Pressing an unlit marker button stores a marker at the position of the play cursor. Pressing shift/lit marker button deletes the marker.

JOG-wheel support: REW/FWD support (currently does this with three seconds intervals). SHIFT+JOG scrubs. Scrub Amount can be adjusted in INI file.

Undo/Redo support via the SCRUB button (SHIFT+SCRUB redo's).

Automation Mode: select a track (if multiple are selected the lowest selected track will be the target). Press AUTOMIX to activate Automation Mode (LED turns orange). The automation mode of all tracks in the bank are reflected using the TR.STATUS Leds (trim/read=OFF, WRITE/LATCH=RED, READ=GREEN). Pressing the AUTOMIX buttons toggles the selected track through trim/read->write(or latch)->read->trim/read->and so on. You can change track selection and thus change automation modes of multiple tracks in the bank. Once you are happy with the per track modes, leave automation mode by pressing SHIFT+AUTOMIX. INI file supports AUTO_WRITE_MODE keyword (set to 3 for write (=default), 4 for latch, 2 for touch)

FX Parameter Mode: Normally the pan pots control Pan for the tracks in the bank. By pressing PHRASE/REGION/AUTOMIX (LED turns orange) the pan pots now control the first 16 FX parameters that you added to the MCP/TCP UI for the selected track. Banking and selecting other tracks is supported whilst in this mode. Faders, mute, solo, select, rec-arm are supported in this mode as well.

The plugin works without an INI file, but the INI file allows some tweaking. Copy and paste this into a textfile and call it VS_csurf.ini and place it in the same directory as the plugin:
Quote:
[VSCSURF]
PAN_STEP=0.03
BANK1_SCREENSETACTION=40460
BANK2_SCREENSETACTION=40461
BANK3_SCREENSETACTION=40462
BANK4_SCREENSETACTION=40463
CALLSCREENSETS=0
MCPVIEW=1
SCRUB_AMOUNT=1000
AUTO_WRITE_MODE=4
MCPVIEW (0 or 1) allows to have the surface show all tracks, or only the tracks visible in the MCP. SCRUB_AMOUNT and the SCREENSET stuff is still experimental ;-) AUTO_WRITE_MODE (2 or 3 or 4) allows to control which write mode you use. Default is write (3). Other options: Touch (2) and Latch(4)

I will add some other stuff in the future like:

* use the pan knobs to control plugins in general.
* 'transparent mode' : upon clicking a button on the VS, all other unassigned buttons can be used to trigger actions.

Feedback welcome and good testing!

Yves

Last edited by yhertogh; 05-03-2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: typos
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Xenakios

Excellent work! I have to admit I dropped the ball myself on this, but looks like Yves has managed to continue very well by himself.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Excellent work! I have to admit I dropped the ball myself on this, but looks like Yves has managed to continue very well by himself.
In all fairness, all code has been written by you, with some tweaks (and future work/bugfixes) by me. Hail Xenakios!

Yves
Old 08-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
FngrStck

Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You.......I've been hoping for this for a long time.
FngrStck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:30 AM   #5
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FngrStck View Post
Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You.......I've been hoping for this for a long time.
Please report any bugs on this thread!

Yves
Old 08-22-2009, 03:09 AM   #6
PeeWee

Yeah ... I believed the project has stopped and died ... No - you worked on it all the time! Thank you two codebending heroes! I will test it next week and report the results here.

And all the planned features - That will be great!
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:18 AM   #7
FngrStck

I thought it fizzled out sometime time ago also, but here it is... Sweet... I will report any bugs I find. Also, are you planning on adding marker support in the future?
Old 08-22-2009, 07:16 AM   #8
xpander

This is great,thanx for everyone involved in this! Unfortunately in my recording room the VS and computer still don't meet at all...but once they do, this will be a good thing.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:33 AM   #9
kirk

I have a question. I have my 2480 hooked to REaper through the vfire. Will all this work through that hook up? How is this wired up?
kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
I have a question. I have my 2480 hooked to REaper through the vfire. Will all this work through that hook up? How is this wired up?
Yes, make sure you configure the VS to use RBUS1 or RBUS2 on the control surface page, and choose the same midi in/output within Reaper.

Any midi interface between the VS and the PC will work, including the V-fire.

Yves
Old 08-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
yhertogh

Quote:
I thought it fizzled out sometime time ago also, but here it is... Sweet... I will report any bugs I find. Also, are you planning on adding marker support in the future?
Yes marker support is one of the things i plan to add. I was planning on using the right hand number keypad on the VS. This only gives you 10 markers. I am also not sure what to do with the LEDS. I guess the LEDs should be on if the marker exists. But how to delete the marker? With shift? or would shift give you marker 11-20 ? Please tell me your ideas.

Yves

Last edited by yhertogh; 08-22-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
PeeWee

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhertogh View Post
But how to delete the marker? With shift?
Yves
Could the VS-like combination "CLEAR + [number]" work to delete a marker? Probably not, right?
Old 08-23-2009, 02:44 AM   #13
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Could the VS-like combination "CLEAR + [number]" work to delete a marker? Probably not, right?
No for some stupid reason "CLEAR" cant be assigned a CC at the VS side.

Yves
Old 08-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #14
FngrStck

Well I was tinkering around last night, and all is well. No bugs to report st this time. I'm gonna be mixing something later this week and get involved, so i'll keep you posted. As far as markers go. Honestly I would only need 5 to use in a song. Maybe 0-4 to assign, or 5-9 to delete. Most I imagine would want all 10 though. I would also have no problem just manually deleting them with a mouse. 0-10 for markers, arrows to sift through the markers. But regardless of how many buttons we assign, we'll still have click that damn mouse some way or another.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #15
mjmartin64

Default VS 1880?

Maybe a silly question --as I'm a newbie trying to catch up....but does this linking procedure make such an arrangement possible with a VS 1880? Many thanks for any work done to make the Roland gear more integrated!
mjmartin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #16
FngrStck

This will only work with the 2400/2480. They have motorized faders, and a Control suface mode. Any other roland does not have this function. If you go over to vsplanet.com there are many people using 1680/1880 for control of reaper through various ways.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #17
FngrStck

Ok... Two bugs to report. with track 8 pan cc8, it will control track 9 fader cc29 from down to 0bd position. Thats the only bank that will do that. Also when switching banks, if the faders are already up, they will not go down. for instance if i have tracks 8-16 at 0bd and bank switch to 17-32, then put tracks 17-24 at 0bs, then bank switch back to 1-16. Faders 1-8 will stay at 0db. Also vice versa. If I put tracks 1-16 down, bank switch to 17-24, put up faders 21-24, then switch back to 1-16, faders 5-8 will stay up even though I had them down when bank switching. Hope that makes sense. Thanks Michael
Old 08-24-2009, 12:55 AM   #18
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmartin64 View Post
Maybe a silly question --as I'm a newbie trying to catch up....but does this linking procedure make such an arrangement possible with a VS 1880? Many thanks for any work done to make the Roland gear more integrated!
As already pointed out, this will only support the VS-2480 at this time. It might support other roland devices like the SI-24 and 2400 which have a control surface mode, but i just don't know for sure it will.

Yves
Old 08-24-2009, 12:59 AM   #19
yhertogh

Quote:
Ok... Two bugs to report. with track 8 pan cc8, it will control track 9 fader cc29 from down to 0bd position. Thats the only bank that will do that.
Michael, does it do that everytime ?

Quote:
Also when switching banks, if the faders are already up, they will not go down. for instance if i have tracks 8-16 at 0bd and bank switch to 17-32, then put tracks 17-24 at 0bs, then bank switch back to 1-16. Faders 1-8 will stay at 0db. Also vice versa. If I put tracks 1-16 down, bank switch to 17-24, put up faders 21-24, then switch back to 1-16, faders 5-8 will stay up even though I had them down when bank switching. Hope that makes sense. Thanks Michael
Same here. Does the bug appear all of a sudden, or is it there from the beginning ? And does it only happen when you use the 0dB and -inf positions and then bankswitch ?

I'll try to reproduce both bugs and see what's going on.

Yves
Old 08-24-2009, 05:09 AM   #20
FngrStck

fader 9 moving with the pan button was my fault. I had ccmessages aleady programmed from previous use. So to anyone...Make sure no messages are being used elsewhere. Problem solved..
The bank switching was acting up all the time. It will work ok switching to a higher bank, but not back down to a lower bank. This happened from the beginning. It will happen regardless of fader position.
I also tinkered with marker positions. I ended up adding all ten, then just assigning two buttons to move through the markers. Works well for me.

Last edited by FngrStck; 08-24-2009 at 05:11 AM. Reason: info
Old 08-24-2009, 05:34 AM   #21
FngrStck

I'm also gonna tinker around with the fx channel buttons and see what I can control, and add waveform height adjust.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #22
yhertogh

Quote:
fader 9 moving with the pan button was my fault. I had ccmessages aleady programmed from previous use. So to anyone...Make sure no messages are being used elsewhere. Problem solved..
ok, good to know! I always thought that you had to disable the midi in/out in audio/devices inorder to use them for control surface use, but i might be wrong!

Quote:
The bank switching was acting up all the time. It will work ok switching to a higher bank, but not back down to a lower bank. This happened from the beginning. It will happen regardless of fader position.
I think I have found the bug. Actually it only happens if two faders out of different banks are set to -inf , and you bank between those two banks. Both faders will 'lock' to the value from the other bank.

I hope to have a fix ready as soon as possible.

Quote:
I also tinkered with marker positions. I ended up adding all ten, then just assigning two buttons to move through the markers. Works well for me.
I am a little confused. I havent added any marker support. It seems that you are using the buttons I am not using in the control surface code for normal 'CC learned' actions, right ? Would you mind telling me how you configured your midi input and output in preferences/devices/midi ? Are they disabled/enabled/enabled+control ?

Thanks

Yves
Old 08-24-2009, 08:25 AM   #23
yhertogh

Quote:
I'm also gonna tinker around with the fx channel buttons and see what I can control, and add waveform height adjust.
same comment here...this is nothing but using reaper's normal cc learn action stuff right ? You wont get led feedback this way as i am sure you know. I probably need to add support to 'select' a track on the surface inorder for this to work somewhat.

Yves
Old 08-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #24
FngrStck

Yea i'm just using any left over cc messages you didn't use. I know I wont get any led support, but just finding out how I like other functions and where I like the buttons to be. I just have my m-audio midi which I am connected to enabled and control on, and output on and any ccmessage I add in the vs2480 can be used in reaper in conjunction with the surface driver. I like when I stop to go back to where I started to play from,so I switches that over. All the little things we can customize I will, but the 16faders and bank switching is awesome and I suck at all that jazz anyway so Thanks again. I'd be happy with just fixing that bug of switching and everything else I can handle.

Last edited by FngrStck; 08-24-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #25
yhertogh

Quote:

I think I have found the bug. Actually it only happens if two faders out of different banks are set to -inf , and you bank between those two banks. Both faders will 'lock' to the value from the other bank.

I hope to have a fix ready as soon as possible.
A workaround is to go to an unused bank inbetween two used banks!

Yves
Old 08-25-2009, 03:58 AM   #26
yhertogh

Quote:
Yea i'm just using any left over cc messages you didn't use. I know I wont get any led support, but just finding out how I like other functions and where I like the buttons to be. I just have my m-audio midi which I am connected to enabled and control on, and output on and any ccmessage I add in the vs2480 can be used in reaper in conjunction with the surface driver. I like when I stop to go back to where I started to play from,so I switches that over. All the little things we can customize I will, but the 16faders and bank switching is awesome and I suck at all that jazz anyway so Thanks again. I'd be happy with just fixing that bug of switching and everything else I can handle.
Michael, (and others)

Bug should be fixed now! Grab the file in the same location as before (see first post).

Yves

Last edited by yhertogh; 08-25-2009 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:00 AM   #27
yhertogh

Quote:
For some reason i cant get the concurrency of normal midi cc learned actions and control surface to work at my side. When i configure the midi interface in devices/midi it complains it cant open the midi in. So i am curious to understand your exact settings at your end, both in the device/midi as well as the control surface side!

Yves
Old 08-25-2009, 05:17 AM   #28
FngrStck

I will find out exact info tonight as i'll be on my pc. I'll let you know everything I can.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:24 AM   #29
yhertogh

Quote:
I will find out exact info tonight as i'll be on my pc. I'll let you know everything I can.
cool, make sure you use the latest build i provided!

Yves
Old 08-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #30
FngrStck

Ok. The new dll works great. Nothing weird to report. I checked my settings, and my midi for my m-audio(which my midi goes through) is set to enable+control my output is enabled. I just added ccmessages in the 2480 with extra numbers and learned commands in the reaper action menu.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:26 AM   #31
PeeWee

Quote:
Supports up to 48 tracks via banking.
Yves
Bug found: Too many Tracks at my machine! It supports 64 Tracks! That confuses me! I don't want so many Tracks! How can I get my Control Surface learn to support only the announced 48 Tracks???

;-))))))))))))))

Peter
Old 08-26-2009, 03:45 AM   #32
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Bug found: Too many Tracks at my machine! It supports 64 Tracks! That confuses me! I don't want so many Tracks! How can I get my Control Surface learn to support only the announced 48 Tracks???

;-))))))))))))))

Peter
damn..i thought i was good in math :-D

You get 16 tracks for free!

Yves
Old 08-26-2009, 05:48 AM   #33
FngrStck

I only have one more request. How hard would it be to change the track buttons so that the top fx row of buttons would solo,and the bottom track status buttons would mute. That way no shift would be involved. Maybe if it's not to hard. Thats the only request!!!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #34
yhertogh

Quote:
I only have one more request. How hard would it be to change the track buttons so that the top fx row of buttons would solo,and the bottom track status buttons would mute. That way no shift would be involved. Maybe if it's not to hard. Thats the only request!!!!!
This is a tough one. I am in the midst of adding support for using the top row of buttons for e.g. track selection and automation mode. I must admit i havent made up my mind yet as to which workflow would be best.

That means i'd have to built you a special image, one that i will be not be supporting for the future, and that will act different in comparison with future, more feature-rich releases.

I'll get back to you later on this. I'll check if its a big thing to change. From first look it isnt. If it's not I'll send you a PM with where to get your special FngrStck Image :-)

Yves
Old 08-26-2009, 07:56 AM   #35
FngrStck

Sweet Thank you much....
Old 08-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #36
yhertogh

Quote:
Sweet Thank you much....
Check your PM box. It was a little harder than i thought. I admit mostly due to the programming, but this will really be a one-off.

Hope things work!

Yves
Old 08-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #37
FngrStck

Cool Thanks a bunch.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #38
yhertogh

Quote:
Ok. The new dll works great. Nothing weird to report. I checked my settings, and my midi for my m-audio(which my midi goes through) is set to enable+control my output is enabled. I just added ccmessages in the 2480 with extra numbers and learned commands in the reaper action menu.
weird. I am using the v-fire midi in/out, and as soon as i enable it in devices/midi it complains about not being able to open up the midi ports. Also my transport stops working..yikes...

Can you do me a favor and give me a screenshot of both options,devices,midi, as well as options/control surface?

Thanks

Yves
Old 08-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #39
FngrStck

You know I remember having problems with my v-fire a long time ago. I couldn't use the midi portion of v-fire and its asio at the same time. Your using the v-fire as your asio drive too at ths same time correct? I use my mbox as my asio, and my m-audio for midi. Do you have another midi interface you could try? Also is the roland setup with r-bus sending midi? I will take a screen shot tonight or tomorrow and post it.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #40
FngrStck

Ok. I had the hardware backwards. I dunno why the screenshot looks like that but it'll show you what you need
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my-shup-painting-109727183359.jpg (104.3 KB, 1006 views)

Last edited by FngrStck; 08-27-2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: doh