Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #121
yhertogh
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by klausistblau View Post
hi,

thanks for the link - makes it clearer now. but one more thing: i can't find a complete doc about these Send()/SendMsg() methods and i'm wondering how i can send sysex messages. do i have to extend the arguments or call one method for each byte i want to send? or using SendMsg() for these messages?

greets and thanks again
Are you refering to JS or the C++ SDK? Because i cant find send/sendmsg in the sdk list. You can find some documentation for the SDK in reaper under Help-->HTML Lists-->ReaScript Functions.

The JS documentation is at http://www.cockos.com/reaper/sdk/js/js.php

Yves
yhertogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #122
klausistblau

Default obfuscated midi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhertogh View Post
Are you refering to JS or the C++ SDK?
hi,
i'm refering to these (c++) "m_midiout->Send(args);" calls in the method "void OnMIDIEvent(MIDI_event_t *evt)". (btw: firing sysex with JS is working fine.) but i would like to send sysex instead of "single" midi-events to enlight my controllers leds and i cant figure out, how to use these Send()'s arguments. Do i have to look at the sdk's source? ... hopefully not

Quote:
i cant find send/sendmsg in the sdk list.
+1
Old 12-23-2011, 01:42 AM   #123
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by klausistblau View Post
hi,
i'm refering to these (c++) "m_midiout->Send(args);" calls in the method "void OnMIDIEvent(MIDI_event_t *evt)". (btw: firing sysex with JS is working fine.) but i would like to send sysex instead of "single" midi-events to enlight my controllers leds and i cant figure out, how to use these Send()'s arguments. Do i have to look at the sdk's source? ... hopefully not

+1
Klaus,

Perhaps you want to redirect your question to the Reaper Developer Forum

Yves
Old 02-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #124
HossKing

Default Vs Plug X64 Build for Win 7

Yves, I have been using your Vs plug for years now with my 2480 with no problems. I have recently upgraded my PC and am know using win 7 64bit as my OS. Do you have any plans of redesigning the plug for an X64 build? I would be Eternally grateful as I miss my VS as a CS. Thank you and Keep up the great work it is appreciated!!
HossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #125
PeeWee

Awwww shit ...
I plan to change to win7 64 too. That would mean no VS Control Surface anymore??? O.o
Uh-oh, I have to sleep about that bad news ...

Greetz, PeeWee
Old 02-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #126
HossKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Awwww shit ...
I plan to change to win7 64 too. That would mean no VS Control Surface anymore??? O.o
Uh-oh, I have to sleep about that bad news ...

Greetz, PeeWee
Yeah, Win 7 is killer, and I've got extra speed and ram to boot in my new rig!
No Vs though..I don't really want to go back to XP, but after using the VS to mix for so long, going back to just mouse and keyboard, well you remeber...
Old 02-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #127
HossKing

Tim from Standing Waters Studio suggested "just run reaper x32 in win7 x64". I did just that and Shazzam! I got my VS back and all my Plug-ins! I once was lost but now am found!
Old 02-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #128
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossKing View Post
Tim from Standing Waters Studio suggested "just run reaper x32 in win7 x64". I did just that and Shazzam! I got my VS back and all my Plug-ins! I once was lost but now am found!
Yes i was about to mention that here. You really only need 64 bit reaper if you are running 64 bit VSTs that use huge amounts of RAM. Reaper is 64 bit internally anyway, regardless of the version.

The issue is that i havent looked at the code for a while, and i dont even have Visual C++ installed on my new laptop. I do want to pick it up again but its quite low on my list of priorities!

Yves
Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #129
PeeWee

Good, seems it is safe for now... Until you are in need of one of that 64 bit VSTs.

I am really not much of a codewriter and have no clue how difficult it would be. But It would be a pity to let the awesome possibility to use our good old VS that way die. Maybe you'll find some hours to save our little treasure into the future world of 64 bits :-)

Greetz, PeeWee
Old 03-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #130
BrianJ

Hey guys! Just a quick question...I currently have a Roland VS2480 and am wanting to get into Reaper. I was wondering if this control surface driver works with the latest version of reaper?

Also, what hardware is needed (besides the 2480) to make it work?

I need a quick way to get existing tracks from the 2480 to reaper for editing and VST plugin support, and be able to control reaper from the 2480...it looks like this is the ticket!

Also, do the tracks have to be recorded on the 2480 FIRST and then transferred to reaper...or can they be sent directly to reaper (basically using the 2480 as an interface into reaper)?

Thanks in advance!
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #131
PeeWee

Hi Brian,

It earns a quick answer:
- yes
- MIDI
- yes
- either way

Lol. Ok. Here we go:
VS/Reaper surface works with the latest version like a charm here, don't worry. But, like you see above, not as 64bit solution yet.
Actually the only minimum hardware you need to get it work is a MIDI connection between your computer and the VS. Use whatever you've got as audio interface then. Minimum, but not optimum.

----awww, i have to go, i answer the rest later if noone else has done it, i just send this for now.----

greetz, peewee
Old 03-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #132
BrianJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Hi Brian,

It earns a quick answer:
- yes
- MIDI
- yes
- either way

Lol. Ok. Here we go:
VS/Reaper surface works with the latest version like a charm here, don't worry. But, like you see above, not as 64bit solution yet.
Actually the only minimum hardware you need to get it work is a MIDI connection between your computer and the VS. Use whatever you've got as audio interface then. Minimum, but not optimum.

----awww, i have to go, i answer the rest later if noone else has done it, i just send this for now.----

greetz, peewee

Thanks for the quick response!

I don't have any audio interface per se...I'm wanting to use the 2480 as a control surface AND an audio interface if possible. I've got the studio all wired up with it and it would be nice to just be able to use it for awhile first!

If I'm understanding correctly (which isn't always the case!) all I need is the VS2480, Presonus V-Fire, and a 32bit Laptop with a firewire port running the latest version of reaper...correct? This "should" let me control reaper from the 2480 as well as transfer up to 16 tracks of audio at a time from the 2480 to reaper and back again.

I like the 2480...I like being able to use the faders and control things with actual knobs/sliders, etc.etc. Also, the 2480 has some pretty good effects, however, reaper would allow me much greater flexibility to use plugins across several tracks instead of one at a time. Right now, I have to use assign a plugin to a track, and I can't use that plugin anywhere else unless I print that first. The problem is that if I need to adjust it later I can't.

Basically, I want to see if reaper is right for me before committing to it. But I want to get a good feel for it with a control surface, and I don't want to buy a control surface right away if I don't have to. So, I figured if I can get the 2480 working with it I'll test it out for awhile and then if I find myself not useing the 2480 for anything other than a control surface, then I'll sell it to get a dedicated control surface and go all PC based.

Also, one more question...will the driver here work with Windows 7? Or does it have to be vista or XP?

Thanks again!

Brian
Old 03-26-2012, 04:14 AM   #133
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
Thanks for the quick response!

I don't have any audio interface per se...I'm wanting to use the 2480 as a control surface AND an audio interface if possible. I've got the studio all wired up with it and it would be nice to just be able to use it for awhile first!

If I'm understanding correctly (which isn't always the case!) all I need is the VS2480, Presonus V-Fire, and a 32bit Laptop with a firewire port running the latest version of reaper...correct? This "should" let me control reaper from the 2480 as well as transfer up to 16 tracks of audio at a time from the 2480 to reaper and back again.
Yes, thats how i am using it as well. I have all my outboard and VS in/outs wired to a patch-bay, as well as my inputs from the recording room and the VS is wired to the PC with the v-V-fire only. THis also allows me to monitor through the VS, create multiple headphone mixes, etc. Allthough due to some stability issues with Firewire it might be a good idea to record on the VS2480 at the highest resolution possible (i.e. no RDAX) if you need a whole lot of tracks to be recorded simultaneously.

Quote:
I like the 2480...I like being able to use the faders and control things with actual knobs/sliders, etc.etc. Also, the 2480 has some pretty good effects, however, reaper would allow me much greater flexibility to use plugins across several tracks instead of one at a time. Right now, I have to use assign a plugin to a track, and I can't use that plugin anywhere else unless I print that first. The problem is that if I need to adjust it later I can't.
As soon as you start using reaper, you wont need the VS effects anymore. Just keep on using the VS as an input mixer, a headphone mixer, a control surface, a monitor mixer. And as a dedicated no hassle HD recorder.

Quote:

Basically, I want to see if reaper is right for me before committing to it. But I want to get a good feel for it with a control surface, and I don't want to buy a control surface right away if I don't have to. So, I figured if I can get the 2480 working with it I'll test it out for awhile and then if I find myself not useing the 2480 for anything other than a control surface, then I'll sell it to get a dedicated control surface and go all PC based.

Also, one more question...will the driver here work with Windows 7? Or does it have to be vista or XP?

Thanks again!

Brian
Windows 7 works, but reaper has to be the 32 bit version.

Yves
Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #134
PeeWee

Oh, forgive me that I didn't continue my answer. I simply forgot it over the weekend *cough*

But yhertogh did. And my setup seems to be very similar, the only difference is the connection between computer and VS, it's a RBUS Soundcard for the PCI slot. Not the Roland Card, I believe its name is ESI something (must look in my driver folder, but I'm unfortunately at home now).

No problem to record all 8 tracks in Reaper here. I don't know if it is possible to stack these cards to be able to record all 16 RBUS Channels at the same time. Or run a Roland and a ESI at the same time.

I am very happy with the VS as surface and audio interface at the same time, and see no reason to change it atm.
Maybe yhertogh even improves his driver one day, I already said in this or the other threat that I even would donate it ;-) *hint hint*

Greetz, PeeWee
Old 04-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #135
BrianJ

Thanks for the responses guys...but I have a problem now...

I love Reaper so much that I've decided it HAS to stay! So here's the problem...

I'm building a new studio DAW, intel i7 3930k Hex-core processor, 32gb of ram, SSD drive for op. system, fast HDD for recording, etc.etc. The reason I wanted so much ram and speed was that I bought Steven Slate Drums and was playing with them on my current Win 7 4Gb system and it really brought the system down. Uses a ton of ram and processing, so I figured, ok, get a big killer system and load up on ram to handle any and all plugin's that I'll ever need.

Problem is, if I use WIN 7 64-bit to be able to use all that ram, then I can't use my Roland 2480 as my control surface...since it's a 32-bit driver...

Now, what I'm wondering is...if I have a 64-bit operating system, and I run Reaper in 32-bit mode, can the plug-ins still access all of my 32gb of ram? Or will they be limited to 4gb (actually half that since windows allocates 2gb for system, I think?)?

If not, would there be some workaround here? There has to be something I can do here...I've got the brand new v-fire here, along with alot of the components for the new DAW (all unopened, just waiting to go in)...but I'm not sure what to do...

Please help! All advice is welcome and appreciated...!

Brian
Old 04-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #136
yhertogh

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys...but I have a problem now...

I love Reaper so much that I've decided it HAS to stay! So here's the problem...

I'm building a new studio DAW, intel i7 3930k Hex-core processor, 32gb of ram, SSD drive for op. system, fast HDD for recording, etc.etc. The reason I wanted so much ram and speed was that I bought Steven Slate Drums and was playing with them on my current Win 7 4Gb system and it really brought the system down. Uses a ton of ram and processing, so I figured, ok, get a big killer system and load up on ram to handle any and all plugin's that I'll ever need.

Problem is, if I use WIN 7 64-bit to be able to use all that ram, then I can't use my Roland 2480 as my control surface...since it's a 32-bit driver...

Now, what I'm wondering is...if I have a 64-bit operating system, and I run Reaper in 32-bit mode, can the plug-ins still access all of my 32gb of ram? Or will they be limited to 4gb (actually half that since windows allocates 2gb for system, I think?)?

If not, would there be some workaround here? There has to be something I can do here...I've got the brand new v-fire here, along with alot of the components for the new DAW (all unopened, just waiting to go in)...but I'm not sure what to do...

Please help! All advice is welcome and appreciated...!

Brian
You could run the plugins in their dedicated memory space but i am not sure if that allows you to use more than 4 G of RAM.

However, i should point out that the V-fire isnt supported in windows 7 :-(
that is why i have a dual boot on my system : one with XP for V-fire interactions , and one W7 64 bit running reaper 32 bit.

You can install both the 64 bit and 32 bit version of reaper side by side as well. Most of the time you wont be running big virtual instruments AND mixing at the same time. usually you want to print to audio first, disable the plugin and then mix. So you could fire up the 32 bit version of reaper to do the mix.

Yves
Old 04-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #137
dea-man

Default Did I understand correctly?

V-Fire does not work with W7 64, running Reaper 32?

I have a VS2480 and V-Fire, but never use them with Reaper, as it seems such a pain in the butt.

I have always dreamed it could work, but are you saying, now that I have a 64 bit machine, it is out of the question?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #138
yhertogh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
V-Fire does not work with W7 64, running Reaper 32?

I have a VS2480 and V-Fire, but never use them with Reaper, as it seems such a pain in the butt.

I have always dreamed it could work, but are you saying, now that I have a 64 bit machine, it is out of the question?
yep, vfire isnt supported on 64 bit OSes and its end of life now so..
You can run reaper32 on a 64 bit machine and use my plugin to use the vs2480 as a control surface though

Yves
Old 04-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #139
dea-man

Default I'm sorry, I am still confused.

Quote:
yep, vfire isnt supported on 64 bit OSes and its end of life now so..
Or, wait a minute, maybe I didn't read your post close enough. Are you saying I can't use the V-fire.

Quote:
You can run reaper32 on a 64 bit machine and use my plugin to use the vs2480 as a control surface though
But, I can still use the VS2480 as a control surface with Reaper 32 on a Win7, 64 bit machine.

Correct?

How would I interface the audio? Or, are you saying I would just be able to use the faders, pans, etc..
Old 04-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #140
BrianJ

AWW MAN...are you saying that since I have Windows 7 on there I can't use your driver at all??? I thought the only limitation was that I had to use the 32 bit version of REAPER, but that it didn't matter what version of windows I had...???

If your driver won't work on Win 7, then what all WILL it work on?

Can I pay you to make a driver for the 2480 to run on Win 7 32/64-bit???

Aw man...this is bad news...I've bought a brand new v-fire that I can't use?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #141
yhertogh

Quote:
AWW MAN...are you saying that since I have Windows 7 on there I can't use your driver at all??? I thought the only limitation was that I had to use the 32 bit version of REAPER, but that it didn't matter what version of windows I had...???

If your driver won't work on Win 7, then what all WILL it work on?

Can I pay you to make a driver for the 2480 to run on Win 7 32/64-bit???

Aw man...this is bad news...I've bought a brand new v-fire that I can't use?

Folks, there is some confusion here.
'My driver' is just a control surface plugin for reaper that turns the VS2480 into a control surface. It works on all versions of windows, but only works on the 32 bit version of reaper. You need a MIDI interface running on the pc to connect to the VS2480 to do this

The v-fire is a product that i have NOTHING to do with, and was a product that allows you to connect the VS 2480 to the PC via firewire, for the sake of 16 channels of AUDIO IN and OUT. The v-fire also happens to be a midi interface. The V-fire driver only works in Windows XP. Complain to Presonus if you dont like it.

I have a dual boot on my DAW: XP, to ship audio from the 2480 to the PC via the v-fire. Then i boot Windows 7, 64 bit, once i want to go mixing. I fire up reaper32 to use my control surface driver. If i ever want to use HUGE virtual instruments i could use reaper64, but then i cant use the VS2480 as a control surface, which is fine as i would never mix with the Virtual Instrument enabled. I would rather render to audio, disable the virtual instrument, and then fire up reaper32.

Does that make sense?

Yves
Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #142
yhertogh

Quote:
Or, wait a minute, maybe I didn't read your post close enough. Are you saying I can't use the V-fire.
you can not use the v-fire on windows7.

Quote:
But, I can still use the VS2480 as a control surface with Reaper 32 on a Win7, 64 bit machine.

Correct?
correct.

Quote:
How would I interface the audio? Or, are you saying I would just be able to use the faders, pans, etc..
I personally use the dig-out on my VS and send it to my DIG-IN of another interface i plugin to the PC.

Yves
Old 04-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #143
dea-man

Default Aaahhh! And the light comes on.....

Quote:
I personally use the dig-out on my VS and send it to my DIG-IN of another interface i plugin to the PC.
This little sentence, right here, just made everything kinda pop into place.

Very interesting! I think I've asked long ago about bypassing the 2480's pre's. Do you just turn them down, or do you use them?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #144
yhertogh

Quote:
This little sentence, right here, just made everything kinda pop into place.

Very interesting! I think I've asked long ago about bypassing the 2480's pre's. Do you just turn them down, or do you use them?
Hi, I am not sure if the last question is related to my response about how i connect the VS to the PC in case i am not using the v-fire.

Anyway, I am using the roland pre's. I do have a couple of nice external pre-amps which i feed into the VS DIG IN, or feed into the analog pre's with the gain turned down. But the pre's on their own sound not too bad. I have about 8 external pre-amps and if i run out of them i am not shying away from using the roland pre's on things like toms and DI's and the like.

For multi-track recording i always record on the VS, i disable RDAC though. No PC to worry about, easy way to get headphone mixed and the likes..everything is under my fingers. For overdubs i transfer the audio to the PC via the v-fire first. Then i record directly to the Reaper via the v-fire, still using the roland as a front-end, perhaps bypassing the pre's, but the signal always goes through the VS. I get direct monitoring for the talent, easy balancing of the backing-track,etc.

Then I edit extensively on the PC, bounce audio, apply rudimentary EQ etc, all in reaper. Just to get the tracks roughtly in shape. Choose the right plug-ins for the tracks.

Then i start to mix with the Roland's faders, pan, etc.

Yves
Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #145
BrianJ

Quote:
'My driver' is just a control surface plugin for reaper that turns the VS2480 into a control surface. It works on all versions of windows, but only works on the 32 bit version of reaper. You need a MIDI interface running on the pc to connect to the VS2480 to do this

The v-fire is a product that i have NOTHING to do with, and was a product that allows you to connect the VS 2480 to the PC via firewire, for the sake of 16 channels of AUDIO IN and OUT. The v-fire also happens to be a midi interface. The V-fire driver only works in Windows XP. Complain to Presonus if you dont like it.

I have a dual boot on my DAW: XP, to ship audio from the 2480 to the PC via the v-fire. Then i boot Windows 7, 64 bit, once i want to go mixing. I fire up reaper32 to use my control surface driver. If i ever want to use HUGE virtual instruments i could use reaper64, but then i cant use the VS2480 as a control surface, which is fine as i would never mix with the Virtual Instrument enabled. I would rather render to audio, disable the virtual instrument, and then fire up reaper32.

Does that make sense?

Yves
Yes, I understand better now I think...

Your driver just uses the midi interface part of the v-fire, correct?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #146
yhertogh

Quote:
Yes, I understand better now I think...

Your driver just uses the midi interface part of the v-fire, correct?
Yes. My driver can use any MIDI interface that connects to the PC and that is available in Reaper, including the V-fire.

Yves
Old 04-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #147
BrianJ

Ok...but what I don't understand is this...

Once you start a project in 32bit reaper, how can you use that project in 64-bit? In other words, if I bring audio into reaper 32 in XP, how do I use those tracks in reaper 64 in WIN7 where I have much more ram and VST's?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:40 AM   #148
yhertogh

Quote:
Ok...but what I don't understand is this...

Once you start a project in 32bit reaper, how can you use that project in 64-bit? In other words, if I bring audio into reaper 32 in XP, how do I use those tracks in reaper 64 in WIN7 where I have much more ram and VST's?
Reaper is always using 64 bit in its audio-engine, so it doesnt matter. Reaper internal bitrate, the audio bitrate, and the windows version bitrate are independent.

Yves
Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #149
BrianJ

Quote:
Reaper is always using 64 bit in its audio-engine, so it doesnt matter. Reaper internal bitrate, the audio bitrate, and the windows version bitrate are independent.

Yves

Ahhh, ok...well, let me ask you this...windows 7 pro, ultimate, and enterprise have something called "XP compatibility mode", it was designed for businesses who have older systems that run on XP to allow them to keep their programs working properly...can this be used instead of the dual boot setup to use v-fire? Have you or anyone ever tried this?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #150
BrianJ

Quote:
Ahhh, ok...well, let me ask you this...windows 7 pro, ultimate, and enterprise have something called "XP compatibility mode", it was designed for businesses who have older systems that run on XP to allow them to keep their programs working properly...can this be used instead of the dual boot setup to use v-fire? Have you or anyone ever tried this?
Ok, so I was digging around on VSplanet and saw a thread about v-fire and win7...doesn't look like it's gonna work, for now anyway.

Quote:

Yves

Ok, so, if I don't need to transfer audio from the vs2480 and just want to use it as a control surface, then what do I need to do...since I have Win7 64-bit...?

Can Reaper 32-bit version be installed in WIN7 64-bit alongside the 64-bit reaper? Or do I have to have BOTH win7 64-bit AND win7 32-bit installed on the machine...I'm so confused right now!

Basically, I have a brand new DAW with win7 64-bit installed...can I run your driver with 32-bit reaper on this machine?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #151
yhertogh

Quote:
Ok, so I was digging around on VSplanet and saw a thread about v-fire and win7...doesn't look like it's gonna work, for now anyway.

Ok, so, if I don't need to transfer audio from the vs2480 and just want to use it as a control surface, then what do I need to do...since I have Win7 64-bit...?

Can Reaper 32-bit version be installed in WIN7 64-bit alongside the 64-bit reaper? Or do I have to have BOTH win7 64-bit AND win7 32-bit installed on the machine...I'm so confused right now!

Basically, I have a brand new DAW with win7 64-bit installed...can I run your driver with 32-bit reaper on this machine?
Yes! My control surface driver only works on Reaper32 but you can run Reaper32 on Windows7 64-bit without any loss of functionality.

Yves
Old 05-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #152
BrianJ

Ok, got it...! Now, since I'm not going to really use the V-fire for song transfer, can I just use a cheap midi interface for the PC to be able to use your control surface driver? Have you tried your driver with any other interfaces? Are there any you can recommend? Will something like an m-audio UNO work?

Doesn't make sense to use a $150 v-fire just for a midi interface...

Thanks!

Brian
Old 05-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #153
dea-man

Default So....

..you could use the V-Fire for midi control of the 2480 board, but not for audio transfer from 2480 to Win 64 bit, Reaper 32? Is that correct?
Old 05-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #154
yhertogh

Quote:
Ok, got it...! Now, since I'm not going to really use the V-fire for song transfer, can I just use a cheap midi interface for the PC to be able to use your control surface driver? Have you tried your driver with any other interfaces? Are there any you can recommend? Will something like an m-audio UNO work?

Doesn't make sense to use a $150 v-fire just for a midi interface...

Thanks!

Brian
any midi interface will work

Yves
Old 05-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #155
yhertogh

Quote:
..you could use the V-Fire for midi control of the 2480 board, but not for audio transfer from 2480 to Win 64 bit, Reaper 32? Is that correct?
As soon as you're on windows 7 , the v-fire wont work at all, whether its audio or midi.

Yves
Old 05-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #156
dea-man

Default Hey, Yhertogh....

...I know I keep asking what may be "really redundant questions", but for some reason, I have it stuck in my mind that setting up and using my 2480 over my mouse would just be a PITA. What are the step by step instructions for trying this out.

I use a Win 64 machine, Reaper 32, with an M-Audio Firewire 410. I have a 2480 HD.

What exactly would I need to do to set things up?
What exactly would I be able to control in Reaper, from the 2480?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #157
BrianJ

There seems to be a contradiction here...

Quote:

Does that make sense?

Yves
Above you talk about firing up windows 7 64bit and reaper 32bit and using your driver to work the control surface...

Quote:
As soon as you're on windows 7 , the v-fire wont work at all, whether its audio or midi.

Yves

Then here you say that even the midi won't work on the v-fire in windows 7...this is confusing. Do you mean that any OTHER midi functions BESIDES your control surface driver won't work? That would make sense I think...

Either way, I think I'm just going to sell the V-fire as it's still brand new factory sealed. I think I'll just get an m-audio UNO or something like that that I can just plug into a USB port on the PC and MIDI in/out on the 2480. This should allow me to just use the 2480 as a control surface in windows 7 64...provided I'm running reaper 32bit...

Brian
Old 05-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #158
BrianJ

Quote:
any midi interface will work

Yves
Does the midi interface need to be firewire to the pc? Or can it be a Midi to USB unit?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #159
yhertogh

Quote:
Does the midi interface need to be firewire to the pc? Or can it be a Midi to USB unit?
ANY midi interface will work

Yves

(i hear an echo here )
Old 05-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #160
yhertogh

Quote:
There seems to be a contradiction here...

Above you talk about firing up windows 7 64bit and reaper 32bit and using your driver to work the control surface...

Then here you say that even the midi won't work on the v-fire in windows 7...this is confusing. Do you mean that any OTHER midi functions BESIDES your control surface driver won't work? That would make sense I think...

Either way, I think I'm just going to sell the V-fire as it's still brand new factory sealed. I think I'll just get an m-audio UNO or something like that that I can just plug into a USB port on the PC and MIDI in/out on the 2480. This should allow me to just use the 2480 as a control surface in windows 7 64...provided I'm running reaper 32bit...

Brian
I never said i used the v-fires MIDI function while in Windows7/Reaper32. I use another midi interface hooked up to the VS's MIDI IN/OUT ports. Like that m-audio UNO you are planning to buy. I guess it makes sense for you to sell the V-fire if you dont plan on transferring a large amount of tracks at once from the VS to Reaper, or are not planning on doing multi-tracking.

Yves