Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 06-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #1
dtrey
Human being with feelings

Default focusrite clarrett device audio sample issue

Hi, I'm trying to maximize CPU for plugins during mixing. When I set the preference->device->audio to a high sample (eg 2048) the setting appears to have no effect: 1)no noticeable lag in time pressing play and playback, and same level of audio pops.

thank you...

Focusrite Clarret 8pre

Model Identifier: iMac17,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 24 GB
dtrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
serr

The block size is the latency between live inputs and computer output. Pre-recorded audio is not a live input. The media buffer (Preferences/Audio/Buffering) controls the buffering for pre-recorded audio from hard drive and thus any lag between pressing play and hearing audio.

Note that ticking the boxes for sample rate or block size enables these controls in Reaper. Untick those boxes to disable these controls (ignoring any value entered) to use your OS audio control panel or a 3rd party control panel (such as comes with some interfaces).

First choice for controlling these parameters for your interface is to enable and use the Reaper controls. Go to the OS or 3rd party control panels if the interface demands it.

Are you setting your sample rate intentionally? Reaper allows you to run with different sample rate program and converts on the fly but this takes CPU power to do. So you want to be intentional with this.

Check that you have the current/correct drivers installed for the interface (if it isn't class compliant).

Check Activity Monitor or the Reaper performance meter. If you're genuinely maxing out the CPU (even a single core hitting red), then you genuinely have some heavy lifting going on. Could be a heavy processing sampler or synth. Or it could be sample rate converting on the fly that you weren't aware of. If you don't see anywhere near maxing the system out but have audio dropouts, that suggests a buggy plugin crashing or problems communicating with the connected audio interface.

Any of that help?
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
dtrey

Thanks Serr, ahh! so block size has nothing to do with buffering for pre-recorded audio. Correct? I thought I tried changing Preferences/Audio/Buffering to 2048 with no results, but perhaps that was user-error. I'll try tonight, view monitor, and post screen shots if still having a problem. fyi: the gui software for the focurite/Clarret doesn't not appear to have the ability to change block size or buffering. Heavy processing is from the acustica-audio plugins, but with Ableton 10 with a 2048 buffer, the same set runs fine (i use ableton to generate content and Reaper to record/edit/mix).

Thanks again your post-- was very helpful.
dtrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
The block size is the latency between live inputs and computer output. Pre-recorded audio is not a live input. The media buffer (Preferences/Audio/Buffering) controls the buffering for pre-recorded audio from hard drive and thus any lag between pressing play and hearing audio.

Note that ticking the boxes for sample rate or block size enables these controls in Reaper. Untick those boxes to disable these controls (ignoring any value entered) to use your OS audio control panel or a 3rd party control panel (such as comes with some interfaces).

First choice for controlling these parameters for your interface is to enable and use the Reaper controls. Go to the OS or 3rd party control panels if the interface demands it.

Are you setting your sample rate intentionally? Reaper allows you to run with different sample rate program and converts on the fly but this takes CPU power to do. So you want to be intentional with this.

Check that you have the current/correct drivers installed for the interface (if it isn't class compliant).

Check Activity Monitor or the Reaper performance meter. If you're genuinely maxing out the CPU (even a single core hitting red), then you genuinely have some heavy lifting going on. Could be a heavy processing sampler or synth. Or it could be sample rate converting on the fly that you weren't aware of. If you don't see anywhere near maxing the system out but have audio dropouts, that suggests a buggy plugin crashing or problems communicating with the connected audio interface.

Any of that help?
Old 06-21-2018, 08:06 AM   #4
dtrey

Thanks Serr. I took all your advice which worked --better. I found one plugin "Lemon" from acustica-audio that was particularly prone to audio pops. But in terms of reducing audio pops the difference between 200 and 2048 is barely noticeable on my system. When I load-up on plugins my CPU (Performance meter) spikes into the red on pressing play, but then reduces to a 63-70% range upon playback. FX CPU (whats that?) hovers around 15-20%

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post

Any of that help?