Old 09-01-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
Dehenry
Human being with feelings

Default Midi learn - strange behavior

I tried to assign some Midi CCs to VSTi and Reaper plugins. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, meaning that the CC I assigned is correctly shown in the Midi/OSC Learn dialogue and Reaper receives Midi data, but the parameter on the plugin won't move, and if I look through the CC list in the Midi Link dialogue, there is no checkmark at the CC I just assigned.

Sometimes the parameter on the plugin only reacts to Midi if, after assigning the CC, I move it once again with the mouse. Sometimes it only works after restarting Reaper, but then it may be that some of the CC assignments have gone even though I saved the default Controller mapping.

Is there any reason for this? It is not because of soft takeover.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:36 AM   #2
mschnell

Remember, that the CCs that are "learned" are fetched form the "Reaper Control Path" (and pushed there (e.g.) if "control" is enabled in the Midi device settings (and hence common for all tracks).

CCs located in the Midi stream in the track's FX chain are not used for that, but can be accessed via "Parameter Modulation / Midi Link".

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
Dehenry

The VSTi/VST I tried to assign Midi CC to were the first in the FX Slots, and I moved the controller to asssign them, so there was a direct dignal flow. What I don't understand is the erratic behavior. With the same plugin, some assignments worked and others didn't - at least not immediately. Sometimes they suddenly worked after a few minutes or after relaunching Reaper. I tried this with TouchOSC with faders configured to send Midi CC data, but also with the mod wheel and other controllers of my hardware keyboard.