Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #1
FrankDee
Human being with feelings

Default Copy/Paste FX and automation

Hi all,

So I copy an FX and its automation from a track. What's an easy way to paste the FX and automation to multiple tracks?

I can paste to individual tracks in the mixer, but I would like to do it all at once.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDee View Post
I can paste to individual tracks in the mixer ...
How are you doing the copy/paste procedure currently?
And are you using any specific Actions, etc. for this?

Quote:
... but I would like to do it all at once.
Just to clarify:

Are you looking for something which can copy/paste the FX & Automation, for instance, to all selected Tracks with one button press?
Or are you looking for something else?

Are all Tracks where you want to paste the FX & Automation to:
- In a row (as example: Track 3, 4, and 5)? Or are these non-adjacent Tracks (as example: Track 4, 9 and 12)?
- And do these Tracks already have other FX on it? Or do you want to copy/paste to new Tracks (which don't have any FX & Automation yet)?

Last edited by solger; 11-08-2017 at 10:41 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
juliansader

This is an interesting question.

(I assume you are using the FX window's menu to copy and paste, using Edit -> "Copy selected FX (including automation)" and "Paste FX".)

There does not appear to be any actions in the Actions List for copy/pasting FX with automation, so this process cannot (easily) be automated in a script either.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
FrankDee

I can open the FX window for a track with automation. There is an item in the Edit menu that says "Copy selected FX (including automation)". I can open another track FX window and Edit -> Paste FX. This will paste the FX and its automation onto the second track.

What I would like to do after doing the copy, is somehow select multiple tracks in any order and paste the FX and it's automation to all of the selected tracks at once.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:58 AM   #5
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDee View Post
What I would like to do after doing the copy, is somehow select multiple tracks in any order and paste the FX and it's automation to all of the selected tracks at once.
For copy/pasting the whole FX chain (with automation envelopes) of a Track, you might have a look at using Track Templates via the SWS Resources. But since this will replace an existing FX Chain in the Target Tracks with the copied FX chain from the Source Track, it's probably not appropriate for every situation.

As example:

1a) Use the Action SWS/S&M: Resources - Auto-save track template (with items, envelopes) ...
1b) ... or SWS/S&M: Resources - Auto-save track template (with envelopes)

2) Select all Tracks where you want to paste to - by holding Ctrl/Cmd while selecting Tracks via left mouse click
3) Use the Action SWS/S&M: Resources - Apply track template (+envelopes/items) to selected tracks, last slot

Besides doing this via Actions, you can also manage SWS Track Templates via Extensions > Resources.

It doesn't seem like though that there's something similar available if you want to copy/paste only a single selected FX with automation (instead of the whole Track FX Chain) to multiple selected Tracks at once ...

Last edited by solger; 11-12-2017 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added additional info
Old 11-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #6
solger

I had another look and found the following:

Seems like dragging FX while holding Ctrl/Cmd + Shift onto other Tracks copies the FX with the automation, as well.

This works for dragging either the Track FX button itself (if you want to copy the whole FX chain) from one Track in the TCP/Mixer onto another Track in the TCP/Mixer.
And also for dragging single/multiple selected FX from a Track FX chain onto another Track in the TCP/Mixer.

So this might at least be a faster way than doing it via the menu (Edit -> "Copy selected FX (including automation)" and "Paste FX".)).

Last edited by solger; 11-12-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #7
FrankDee

solger

thanks for both replies.

the ctr/shift click works well in the mixer panel, but only a track at a time. But better than opening menus.

i knew about SWS, but i didn't know about SWS resources. These resources open up a lot of easier ways to do repetitive tasks.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:33 PM   #8
X-Raym

Quote:
(I assume you are using the FX window's menu to copy and paste, using Edit -> "Copy selected FX (including automation)" and "Paste FX".)

Damn, I never noticed it.

Should be the default behavior IMHO
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote