Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
onno
Human being with feelings

Location: currently Mozambique but that's subject to change. Co owner of a property in England
Default Midi set up using Yamaha midi keyboard

Hi to all knowledgeable people out there. I have connected my Yamaha keyboard to my laptop via keybd out (to host) to Reaper via USB cable. Under Options/Preferences/midi devices in Reaper I have managed to connect Keyboard. I have recorded midi strokes but although on the keybd I selected a drum kit; in Reaper the sound I get is a piano sound (the default program on the keybd?)

Question is how do I get Reaper to select the drum kit which is housed on the Keybd. I could do it in Pro Tools so I'm hoping it can be done in Reaper.

Many thanks for helping. Oh, Reaper v6.03
onno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:07 PM   #2
domzy

have you selected MIDI channel 10?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:39 AM   #3
onno

Location: currently Mozambique but that's subject to change. Co owner of a property in England
Default Midi Set up

Hi

I selected 'all channels' but have now selected channel 10. Now I can still record but playback is only through the keybd.

How do I make the playback come out of Reaper (to interface and monitor speakers)
Old 02-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #4
DarkStar

Quote:
in Reaper the sound I get is a piano sound
That sounds like the MIDI is being sent from Reaper back to the Yamaha and the default program is being used. You will need to add a Bank Select / Program Change events to the MIDI clip so that they are sent to the Yamaha and select the drum kit.

The bank and program numbers should be in the Yamaha manual.

Quote:
How do I make the playback come out of Reaper (to interface and monitor speakers)
Do you want the Yamaha audio to be sent back into Reaper or do you want a plug-in in Reaper to produce the audio?
Old 02-14-2020, 03:59 AM   #5
DarkStar

. . . ?
Old 02-24-2020, 04:18 AM   #6
onno

Default Reply to Darkstar

Thanks for your answer. No clue how to use Reaper to tell Yamaha what program to play.

I think I have an answer which is: connect audio out (from yamaha) to line in (on interface) and to an audio track in Reaper. Haven't had a chance to try it yet as life is getting in the way. But thanks for your comments
Old 02-24-2020, 04:33 AM   #7
DarkStar

Quote:
You will need to add Bank Select / Program Change events to the MIDI clip so that they are sent to the Yamaha and select the drum kit.
Have a look in the Reaper user Guide for "Bank Select", "Program Change" and "reaBank". The first two will explain how they are used and the last one explains how to use meaningful program names instead of numbers.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #8
Alistair S

Quote:
Originally Posted by onno View Post
Thanks for your answer. No clue how to use Reaper to tell Yamaha what program to play.

I think I have an answer which is: connect audio out (from yamaha) to line in (on interface) and to an audio track in Reaper. Haven't had a chance to try it yet as life is getting in the way. But thanks for your comments
Assuming you want to play something on your Yamaha and record it in Reaper (rather than make Reaper play something on your Yamaha) you have two choices.

1. Take the audio outs from your Yamaha and plug them into your interface. This is the option I think you have found.

2. Take the midi from the Yamaha and record that as midi. This will have no sound until you place a virtual instrument on your track as an FX. That instrument can be anything (cello, trombone, drum - whatever) but will not be exactly what your Yamaha produces, even if you want a piano. If you want a reasonable and free piano sound from your mdi, you could download and install Keyzone Classic (which has a Yamaha Grand, a Steinway and some electric pianos too)
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote