Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 10-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
mikeroephonics
Human being with feelings

Default Weird Problem When Loading Multiple .ReaBank Files

I encountered a weird problem this morning when loading 2 different .ReaBank files into a single project. Essentially, some of my MIDI Media Items are getting their loaded .ReaBank switched out with another .ReaBank, but it happens when I'm changing another Track's loaded .ReaBank.

Breakdown of my project:
- I have many Tracks in this project.
- Each Track contains 1 MIDI Media Item.
- Each MIDI Media Item contains a single Bank/Program Change Entry.
- I have a total of 4 .ReaBank files I want to use for this project. They are similarly named, and in the same directory. (This may be the culprit. Testing later tonight.)
- Tracks 1-10 should have .ReaBank #1 loaded for their Bank/Program Change entry.
- Tracks 11-20 should have .ReaBank #2 loaded for their Bank/Program Change entry.

I first assigned .ReaBank #1 to the first 10 Tracks just fine. But when I got to Track 11 to load .ReaBank #2 for its Bank/Program Entry, it loads fine, but when I double-check Tracks 1-10, I notice 1-10 now have .ReaBank #2 loaded instead of .ReaBank #1! I'm certain that the change on Tracks 1-10 occurred precisely after loading .ReaBank #2 onto Track 11, and that only Track 11's Item was selected and also the only Active MIDI Item in the MIDI Editor when loading .ReaBank #2.

But here's where it gets really weird:
When I go back to any single Track from 1-10 and switch out .Reabank #2 with #1, ALL .ReaBank entries on Tracks 1-10 go back to .ReaBank #1, even though I've only changed the loaded .ReaBank for ONE of those 10 Tracks! The Bank LSB and Program Number are left unchanged for Tracks 1-10. Only the loaded .ReaBank file is changed.

So it seems REAPER is somehow storing information about Tracks 1-10 having loaded .ReaBank #1 at some point, because how else would it know to change ONLY the loaded .ReaBanks for Tracks 1-10 from .ReaBank #2 to #1? Going back to tracks 11-20, I see they still have .ReaBank #2 loaded (as they should.)

I'm away from the DAW at the moment, but I'm going to test this further by placing the 4 .ReaBank files into separate paths and attempt to load those .ReaBanks to their respective MIDI Media Items. Perhaps REAPER is confusing the .ReaBanks for one another by only paying attention to X number of characters in their filenames. Or, maybe it only wants to see a single .ReaBank per-directory? Who knows...

Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-02-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
mikeroephonics

Update:

I placed each of the 4 .ReaBank files into their own path, like so:

C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Data\REABANKS _MRP ONLY\_2_2017 VERSION\[PART 1 OF 4]\VSL HORIZON REABANK_ALL - 2017-03-04d_[PART 1 OF 4].reabank

C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Data\REABANKS _MRP ONLY\_2_2017 VERSION\[PART 2 OF 4]\VSL HORIZON REABANK_ALL - 2017-03-04d_[PART 2 OF 4].reabank

C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Data\REABANKS _MRP ONLY\_2_2017 VERSION\[PART 3 OF 4]\VSL HORIZON REABANK_ALL - 2017-03-04d_[PART 3 OF 4].reabank

C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Data\REABANKS _MRP ONLY\_2_2017 VERSION\[PART 4 OF 4]\VSL HORIZON REABANK_ALL - 2017-03-04d_[PART 4 OF 4].reabank

The session is still exhibiting the same problems as described in the first post.

I opened the .rpp in Notepad++.exe and found the line which Tracks use to define the path for their respective .ReaBank file:

MIDIBANKPROGFN "C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Data\REABANK S_MRP ONLY\_2_2017 VERSION\[PART 1 OF 4]\VSL HORIZON REABANK_ALL - 2017-03-04d_[PART 1 OF 4].reabank"

Here's the entry for another Track, which (correctly) points to another .ReaBank file:

MIDIBANKPROGFN "C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Data\REABANK S_MRP ONLY\_2_2017 VERSION\[PART 2 OF 4]\VSL HORIZON REABANK_ALL - 2017-03-04d_[PART 2 OF 4].reabank"

The different paths above are in bold. They each hold a different .ReaBank file.

I still can't figure out why REAPER is switching out the loaded .ReaBank file on Tracks which I'm not editing.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #3
mikeroephonics

Bump. Anyone?

Mods:
Could you please move this thread to the MIDI sub-forum? I think it might fare better there as it's a rather specific MIDI issue. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2017, 02:42 AM   #4
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

I cannot replicate this by simply loading 2 different .reabank files (from the same folder) on 20 tracks so there must be more to it. Is that a refresh problem maybe or does it actually show the wrong patch names (from the wrong/other reabank file) when you click the 'Program' dropdown menus?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #5
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
I cannot replicate this by simply loading 2 different .reabank files (from the same folder) on 20 tracks so there must be more to it.
I thought it would make the problem more comprehensible by saying it was only 20 total tracks, but this is actually my master Vienna Symphonic Library orchestral template which contains over 400 tracks. The high track count may be causing problems.

Quote:
Is that a refresh problem maybe...
In some cases (but not all), when I toggle the MIDI Media Item selection in the MIDI Editor's Track List, the Bank/Program Change Entry in the MIDI Editor's lane will very briefly show the incorrect bank & program name from the wrong .ReaBank file. This only shows for a fraction of a second. After the correction, immediately moving away from and back to that Item shows the correct bank and program entries from the correct .ReaBank file. No more brief flashing of the incorrect values.

The opposite also occurs for problematic Media Items. It will briefly show the correct bank & program values, but switch to the incorrect values from the incorrect .ReaBank file.

Quote:
...or does it actually show the wrong patch names (from the wrong/other reabank file) when you click the 'Program' dropdown menus?
Yes, in addition to showing up incorrectly in the lane, it also shows up incorrectly in the small window which opens up when you double-click on the Bank/Program Entry in the lane.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
mikeroephonics

Bump. Has anything like this occurred with anyone? To summarize the incorrect .ReaBank file gets loaded to Media Items. The Bank and Program entry values remain correct but having the wrong .ReaBank loaded means the wrong instrument (Bank) and playing technique (Program) are listed in the MIDI Editor's Bank/Program Change lane.