Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #1
aciddose
Human being with feelings

Default Improved configuration for mixer panels (meters)

Before I post a feature request I'm posting here in Q&A to ensure these features don't exist or are otherwise not easily accessible outside the skinning features (that is, from within Reaper's runtime configuration panels.)

I could probably come up with a lot of related feature requests to improve the configuration possibilities of the meters in Reaper both for track and mixer panels, as well as those panels themselves (fader options, etc).

1) The main thing I'm looking at is the peak meter level displayed in text. This peak level is held permanently by default. It would be great to be able to both set a time period to hold the level (hold as the default, alternatively a number like 200 ms for example) or to disable/hide the peak text entirely.

2) A related feature directly above the peak meter text is the text readout for the mixer panel fader. It would be great to be able to disable/hide this entirely as while it may be useful and even preferable to displaying the fader graphic, the fader by default more than suffices to display the level due to the pop-up on mouse hover or while adjusting the fader.

Obviously the default skin lacks the usual fader level ticks and text that you'd normally expect on a console fader. This makes sense especially considering the history of low-PPI graphics making such ticks and text very difficult to read at practical, low sizes (5 px?)

Therefore these sorts of options may be something that makes more sense to control only in a custom skin; if so I'll need to study the skinning system and come up with any features I'd need to adjust the panels as desired.

If that is the case, where do I need to look to make a custom skin with such configuration? Is this already possible?
  • 2.a) Can the mixer fader level text display be removed with a skin option?
  • 2.b) Is it possible to adjust the fader handle size?
  • 2.c) What about placing tickmarks and text along with it to model a hardware console?
aciddose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by aciddose View Post
1)It would be great to be able to both set a time period to hold the level (hold as the default, alternatively a number like 200 ms for example) or to disable/hide the peak text entirely.
The parameters for the track meters are in Preferences/Appearance/Track Control Panels. No adjustment for the peak level display though. You cannot adjust this internally in the Theme tweaker either. However, you can edit or hide the level display by editing the theme file. You'd be looking for the "set mcp.meter.readout.color" lines inside the rtconfig file.

Quote:
2) A related feature directly above the peak meter text is the text readout for the mixer panel fader. It would be great to be able to disable/hide this entirely as while it may be useful and even preferable to displaying the fader graphic, the fader by default more than suffices to display the level due to the pop-up on mouse hover or while adjusting the fader.
You could hide the fader level display by editing the theme file. You'd be looking for the "set mcp.volume.label" lines inside the rtconfig file.

Quote:
Obviously the default skin lacks the usual fader level ticks and text that you'd normally expect on a console fader. This makes sense especially considering the history of low-PPI graphics making such ticks and text very difficult to read at practical, low sizes (5 px?
True. Another thing to consider is that if the theme allows the panels to stretch, the fader gradation marks might not scale correctly when you start moving panels up/down. So if it's important to keep the dB markings in their correct positions, at least the fader part of the panel has to be made fixed/non-stretching. More about all this, tips and instructions etc. on the Theme forum
https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

2.a) Yes.
2.b) Yes.
2.c) Yes. Not too many themes have these, but for couple of examples, check out these themes:
http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reape..._imperial.html
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1932/CLogic.zip
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2003/R...mplete.zip.003
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #3
aciddose

Based on what you've said and after quickly looking through the skins you've linked, it seems my initial point about the peak meters is probably a valid feature request. So I'll be posting that at some point whenever I get around to it.

It also looks like my issues with the default layout/theme are issues I'll need to address with the skinning system. So I'll have to look at customizing the default panel layout and making those adjustments before I'm able to determine whether it is possible or not. That is something I was expecting so no surprises there.

Thanks for the help!
aciddose is offline   Reply With Quote