Old 03-01-2021, 09:38 AM   #1
DanWoden
Human being with feelings

Default Timebase problem

Hi,
I tearing my hair out with this now - and 'hope someone can save me from insanity!

It seems whatever I do Reaper will not stop affecting the track's tempo. When I record a piece of guitar or midi then change the BPM it always changes the track's audio. When what I require is just the grid & ruler to change etc.

To remedy I've tried;

1/ changing the setting in Project Settings to 'Timebase for items/env./markers' to 'Time'.
2/ also changed 'signature envs. to 'Time'.

Both these seem to produce no change.

3/ Change to individual track Timebase settings to 'Time' also - still no change.

Please forgive me if I'm missing something straight-forward here as I'm relatively new to Reaper. I really like it if not foir this key element that I need solved.

I'd be most grateful if anyone could help!

Cheers all,
Dan.
DanWoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #2
garanimals

Is it possible that you have a tempo marker that you don't know about?

--edit re-reading I don't think this is your issue...
garanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:52 PM   #3
ReaperMadness

Quote:
... it always changes the track's audio.
What happens with the audio?

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:16 PM   #4
DanWoden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
What happens with the audio?
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. The audio playrate is sped up or down depending upon the tempo adjustment selected.

I was just having another go and a bass line that I played and recorded (DI) oddly enough did NOT change when I changed the tempo afterwards. However three midi tracks in the same session did change (despite my option preferences set to 'Time').

This is very confusing and hugely frustrating! :-(
Old 03-01-2021, 03:47 PM   #5
Alistair S

"MIDI media items always have timebase beats (position, length, rate). The timebase for individual MIDI media items can be locked to a specific tempo regardless of the project tempo, in the media item source properties"

If you check the action list, there are actions to ignore project tempo for selected midi items
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:46 AM   #6
DanWoden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair S View Post
"MIDI media items always have timebase beats (position, length, rate). The timebase for individual MIDI media items can be locked to a specific tempo regardless of the project tempo, in the media item source properties"

If you check the action list, there are actions to ignore project tempo for selected midi items
Hi,
Thank you for the reply. In the 'media properties' tab for a particular media item (a midi keyboard track) I've set the Timebase to 'Time'. When I then adjust the BPM (to help align the grid and marker to the tempo and help editing etc) all the MIDI tracks adjust to the new tempo. Whilst the non-MIDI tracks are unaffected.

Sorry if it's something very obvious that I'm missing - but is there still more that needs selecting after switching Project Properties to 'Time' and Item (track) Properties to 'Time'?

If I open a session and the default BPM is 120, play a keyboard piece (not to any particular click or anything) I then just want to be able to change the BPM so that the grid and markers match the beats/time signature.

I'm confused as to why this seemingly simple process seems to allude me(?).

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:35 AM   #7
Alistair S

Hopefully someone else can advise further but I just messed around with setting timebase at project level, track level and at midi item level.

The only way I found to make the midi item not adjust when adjusting tempo was by using the SWS/BR Action (you can find it in the actions list if you search on "ignore") to "ignore project tempo for selected midi items" (there are two actions with slightly different options).

There may be another way, but that seemed to work at least!
Old 03-02-2021, 10:32 AM   #8
DanWoden

Okay thanks Alastair. I apprefciate it. I'll give that a go.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:39 AM   #9
DanWoden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair S View Post

The only way I found to make the midi item not adjust when adjusting tempo was by using the SWS/BR Action (you can find it in the actions list if you search on "ignore") to "ignore project tempo for selected midi items" (there are two actions with slightly different options).

There may be another way, but that seemed to work at least!
Hi again, Alistair. I tried looking for what you mentioned but couldn't see it on the ACTIONS LIST....?

I searched "ignore", "midi" etc

Has it changed since an updated version perhaps..?

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:57 AM   #10
jrk

https://www.sws-extension.org/
Old 03-03-2021, 04:02 AM   #11
Alistair S

Oh crap - yes. It looks as if the new SWS version changed things.

I do find that the action to "set item timebase to time" works though. Just search on "timebase" and you should see it.

Sorry about that! I was using the wrong version of SWS when I last checked.

Alternatively, if you right click on the item (not the track) you should be able to set the item timebase in item properties.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:14 AM   #12
DanWoden

Okay thanks. Sorry, I should have looked under "Timebase"! I'll try that.

(When I change it on the actual track as you mentioned there it just ignores my selection).
Old 03-03-2021, 09:21 AM   #13
Alistair S

Yes, you need to change it on the item itself for midi (not the track). You could have multiple items on a track (and you could even mix midi and audio on the same track) so the settings are at item level. I'd agree that this is a bit confusing as you would assume that setting it at track level would affect every item on the track unless you specified otherwise!

Note that there are settings in both item properties and source properties if you right click the item. Source properties lets you ignore the project settings and choose a tempo for that item.

The settings in item properties and source properties operate slightly differently but I have to admit I do find some of it confusing too!

Hopefully a timebase expert will chip in and explain the different use cases, especially when dealing with midi.