Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 03-28-2021, 03:55 PM   #41
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings

It's my opinion that due to the many linux softwares that
don't have the benefit of full-time professional coders and support,
that linux-based musicians should maintain more than one fully working installation.
Doesn't need to be on multiple computers, multiple drives
and or partitions will do, with the side benefit of being data back-up alternatives.

This frees the musician from the soft-tyranny of the occassional
regression. They are few and far between, but it isn't expensive
to prepare for them, and other odd follies. I haven't had any issues
with wine-staging 6.4, and the 6.0 stable branch is likely also a
good candidate. 5.22 was a very good release, so nothing wrong with
keeping it, if it let's you work and play as desired.

If it ain't broke, why fix it?
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:36 AM   #42
pax-eterna

Because I am about to embark on a new Manjaro install (my third, and final? attempt to get Linux to a happy place) I'd like to ask which version of WINE should I load?

As I alluded to in other threads, WINE has issues with Windows VST's, this "sudden" breaking of them, when they are running well, is a bit worrying as I plan to take this Linux box onstage...
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:56 AM   #43
robbert-vdh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax-eterna View Post
Because I am about to embark on a new Manjaro install (my third, and final? attempt to get Linux to a happy place) I'd like to ask which version of WINE should I load?

As I alluded to in other threads, WINE has issues with Windows VST's, this "sudden" breaking of them, when they are running well, is a bit worrying as I plan to take this Linux box onstage...
For now I'd advise on just sticking to Wine Staging 6.4. You can install that version from the ALA (for instance using the downgrade package) and then add it to your IgnorePkgs so it doesn't get updated. If you want that extra bit of performance, you can also go with wine-tkg 6.4 and enable fsync which works out of the box on Manjaro. See the performance tuning section of yabridge's readme for more information on how to do that.
robbert-vdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:30 AM   #44
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbert-vdh View Post
For now I'd advise on just sticking to Wine Staging 6.4. You can install that version from the ALA (for instance using the downgrade package) and then add it to your IgnorePkgs so it doesn't get updated. If you want that extra bit of performance, you can also go with wine-tkg 6.4 and enable fsync which works out of the box on Manjaro. See the performance tuning section of yabridge's readme for more information on how to do that.

Cool, thanks. At this stage I think I'd be better off sticking to "o.o.t.b." solutions! So the "bog-standard" 6.4 will do haha!
Old 04-07-2021, 01:37 PM   #45
Held

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax-eterna View Post

The current wine 6.4-1 works well for me. You can add wine to 'IgnorePkg' in
/etc/pacman.conf so it doesn't get updated automatically.
Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:13 PM   #46
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held View Post
The current wine 6.4-1 works well for me. You can add wine to 'IgnorePkg' in
/etc/pacman.conf so it doesn't get updated automatically.
Thanks, yes that is what I will do, after confirming all is working ok.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #47
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
While you are correct that Windows sucks, Kontakt does not suck!

And Kontakt is all the other instruments besides bass, drums, and guitar that I need for composing. Point me to a native Linux VST or LV2 with a similar library of quality sampled instruments as Kontakt, and I'll become a non WINE user like you.

Looks like someone who has an account at WineHQ has posted about this issue, but they are running Linux Mint and seeing the exact same crashing of REAPER with winehq-staging 6.3 as I see. Hope they fix it soon. I'm still considering turning off WineHQ as a repository so they can't fuck my system up again.

https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34998
I agree, if you need stuff you need stuff. I'm going to be doing orchestral music. Cinematic Strings uses the free Kontakt Player. It's a high-end library, and they also make one for woodwinds and brass. Using just those three libraries (of which I only have the first now), I would have a great pallet to draw from. but I need kontakt player, and for that I need Wine.

Unfortunately, I updated Manjaro last night, and now Kontakt P. won't open. same for Native Access. I'm going to do what you did Glenn, install 6.0 and see what happens. wish me luck!
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #48
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
I agree, if you need stuff you need stuff. I'm going to be doing orchestral music. Cinematic Strings uses the free Kontakt Player. It's a high-end library, and they also make one for woodwinds and brass. Using just those three libraries (of which I only have the first now), I would have a great pallet to draw from. but I need kontakt player, and for that I need Wine.

Unfortunately, I updated Manjaro last night, and now Kontakt P. won't open. same for Native Access. I'm going to do what you did Glenn, install 6.0 and see what happens. wish me luck!
When I installed Kontakt Elements first, and then a couple days later the full version of Kontakt 5, you needed WINE staging to accomplish it, but that was almost three years ago.

I don't know about the install part, but the Kontakt 5 I already had installed works just fine on the stable version of WINE.

One thing I will note, is that it does seem that WineHQ's version of WINE stable was the only one I could get Kontakt to run on, and it was the WineHQ version of staging that I had originally installed and ran on for almost three years before the problem that instigated this thread. I dialed back to the WineHQ stable version and all has been fine since.

Good luck getting it working Michael. I know it's a lot of trial and error, but once you get things working, you can get on with making music. BTW, have you checked your Windows VST folders to see if you were successful generating the .so files with LinVST?

Once you've created those, and added their path to REAPER's VST path, they will get picked up and function in REAPER.

Last edited by Glennbo; 04-10-2021 at 09:39 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:31 AM   #49
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held View Post
I have the same issue with wine-6.2 that comes with Manjaro.

To downgrade install the package with the same name
Code:
pamac install downgrade
Next run downgrade and select an older version of wine
Code:
sudo downgrade wine
Unfortunately, that only works if you had an older version installed previously.

I don't know how to get an older version that isn't already on your computer.
i tried that and got an error message: wine-6.5 not found.

Edit: forgot to put dash between install-downgrade. worked after that. Thanks!

Actually I had to remove two other packages, which I did in the Add/Remove software app. I installed wine 6.0 with this command:

sudo pacman -S wine winetricks wine-mono wine_gecko

Reaper works, but Kontakt and Native Access still don't. May need to reinstall those also. I'm going to install kontakt 6, as the Project SAM Free Orchestra needs it.

Edit 2: Damn, it reinstalled wine 6.5. I thought the lastest stable version was 6.0, and that is what I thought
I was installing. More work...

Last edited by michael diemer; 04-10-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:30 PM   #50
michael diemer

I asked on the Manjaro forum how to install Wine 6.0 and they told me to go to Lutris. This appears to be for gamers...

Thinking of ditching Manjaro at this point, it's hopelessly muddled.

Edit: Currently downloading Xubuntu.

Last edited by michael diemer; 04-10-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #51
JamesPeters

Quote:
This isn't a distro problem. This is what happens when you intend to "pin" a particular package version but don't do it (or don't do it correctly). Xubuntu is fine too, but honestly don't just immediately jump ship on a distro because you had a single problem doing something you're not familiar with. If you do, you'll be switching distros a lot.

I recommend using GUI-based applications and *not* Terminal. The GUI-based applications are there for a reason. Unless you absolutely need to bypass them, use them. You're new and a lot of problems can be avoided by not immediately going to Terminal to do something. I know people mean well by making recommendations using Terminal commands, but if you make a mistake it can be a lot worse than not being able to understand why Wine-Staging is still upgrading when you don't want it to. Someone removed his DE files by accident a few weeks ago with a simple spelling mistake in Terminal (after following instructions from someone using Terminal to reinstall LibreOffice), leaving his computer basically a black screen until he figured out how to resolve it.

Ok...

I also had accidentally let my Wine-Staging update automatically since I forgot about "pinning" the previous version. Here's how I just resolved it (about 15 minutes total including doing DuckDuckGo searches for "install old package in Manjaro" etc. since I'd never done this before).

I removed Wine-Staging (6.5) from Pamac (it's the "add/remove software" application, a GUI frontend for Pacman). It automatically removed Yabridge and Winetricks since they were also installed by Pamac, and are dependencies.

Then I went to the package cache on my computer:

/var/cache/pacman/pkg/

I found the previous wine-staging-6.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst package, double-clicked on it, it automatically installed by Pamac.

Pamac found updates for it instantly of course (I had the newer package in the cache, so it was a no-brainer this would happen). Then I went into Pamac preferences, advanced, "enable downgrade", and chose Wine-Staging under "Ignore upgrades for". Then I installed Yabridge and Winetricks again.

If you need the wine-staging-6.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst package, I can upload it to Google Drive and share it with you. But I suspect it'll be in your cache, unless you changed settings in Pamac to delete old packages right away.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 04-10-2021 at 03:10 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:28 PM   #52
Glennbo

Quote:
I asked on the Manjaro forum how to install Wine 6.0 and they told me to go to Lutris. This appears to be for gamers...

Edit: Currently downloading Xubuntu.
In your previous attempts had you added WineHQ as a repository and grabbed WINE from them? If not, I would do that first once up and running on Xubuntu. Once they are added as a repository you can install and use the tool Synaptic to specifically select winehq-stable 6.0 from the list. It will want to install other needed stuff but will end up being 6.0 stable.

This is what mine says, but do note I removed WineHQ as a repository a month or so ago so I can't be updated.

Attached Images
File Type: png WINE.png (19.2 KB, 65 views)
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:18 AM   #53
Soli Deo Gloria

When you use Wine-TKG (built on top of Wine-Staging and with the Futex/Fsync feature available that certainly makes a noticeable difference in performance with Kontakt and other multithreaded stuff), Manjaro at least doesn't seem to update it automatically, which in the case of Wine seems to be an advantage. I stayed for months with a 6.0 version of TKG and only recently switched to 6.4. Needless to say, it performs great in Manjaro, and it installs in a breeze, just by clicking in the downloaded installer file (!).

To download Wine-TKG :

https://github.com/Frogging-Family/w...g-git/releases

To enable the Fsync feature, in Manjaro at least (which is one of THE things needed for a good Kontakt performance) :

in /home/user/.profile , you add :

export WINEFSYNC=1

Then, on next log in, you have it silently enabled.

In my last month or so as a Mint user, I used this Wine mod with the Fsync patch :

https://github.com/rolesyuk/rt_audio/releases

Way slower to install, and not as bleeding edge as TKG, but that's probably not a problem, considering Wine's intermitent breakages.

The dev of the original mod in which this one is based recommended these variables in .profile :

export WINE_RT_PRIO=78
export WINE_RT_POLICY="RR"
export STAGING_SHARED_MEMORY=1
export STAGING_WRITECOPY=1
export WINEFSYNC_SPINCOUNT=128
export WINEFSYNC=1

But honestly, with only WINEFSYNC=1 enabled in TKG, on Manjaro, I haven't noticed any difference, performance wise.

Just in case this can be of help for anyone.

Quote:

Well, to each his/her own, I think. I personally had way more success with Manjaro than with various Ubuntu XFCE flavours I tried during months in almost every department (and above all, ease of software install and availability and ease of performance tweaks with Wine-TKG, etc.), but in the end, to emphasize James' reply, it's probably a matter of finding one's own affinity with a certain distro, letting it reveal its goodies and badies through time before jumping ship immediately in the first tries. All distros have their weak points, after all, and the Ubuntus have their own share of downsides and muddles, too.

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 04-11-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:35 AM   #54
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
This isn't a distro problem. This is what happens when you intend to "pin" a particular package version but don't do it (or don't do it correctly). Xubuntu is fine too, but honestly don't just immediately jump ship on a distro because you had a single problem doing something you're not familiar with. If you do, you'll be switching distros a lot.

I recommend using GUI-based applications and *not* Terminal. The GUI-based applications are there for a reason. Unless you absolutely need to bypass them, use them. You're new and a lot of problems can be avoided by not immediately going to Terminal to do something. I know people mean well by making recommendations using Terminal commands, but if you make a mistake it can be a lot worse than not being able to understand why Wine-Staging is still upgrading when you don't want it to. Someone removed his DE files by accident a few weeks ago with a simple spelling mistake in Terminal (after following instructions from someone using Terminal to reinstall LibreOffice), leaving his computer basically a black screen until he figured out how to resolve it.

Ok...

I also had accidentally let my Wine-Staging update automatically since I forgot about "pinning" the previous version. Here's how I just resolved it (about 15 minutes total including doing DuckDuckGo searches for "install old package in Manjaro" etc. since I'd never done this before).

I removed Wine-Staging (6.5) from Pamac (it's the "add/remove software" application, a GUI frontend for Pacman). It automatically removed Yabridge and Winetricks since they were also installed by Pamac, and are dependencies.

Then I went to the package cache on my computer:

/var/cache/pacman/pkg/

I found the previous wine-staging-6.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst package, double-clicked on it, it automatically installed by Pamac.

Pamac found updates for it instantly of course (I had the newer package in the cache, so it was a no-brainer this would happen). Then I went into Pamac preferences, advanced, "enable downgrade", and chose Wine-Staging under "Ignore upgrades for". Then I installed Yabridge and Winetricks again.

If you need the wine-staging-6.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst package, I can upload it to Google Drive and share it with you. But I suspect it'll be in your cache, unless you changed settings in Pamac to delete old packages right away.
Thanks for the info. I am not necessarily ditching Manjaro at this point. I'll keep it installed at least for awhile. In the meantime, I'll test out Xubuntu. Then I'll be able to better judge what works best for me.

This is actually the second time I've tested Manjaro. I ran it a few years ago, but ended up replacing it, although I don't remember why. And, although I agree that Canonical is not what it used to be, there's no room for "purisim" here, I just need a distro that works for me. Since I have far more experience with Ubuntu-based distros, I need to see if that might work best for me.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:36 AM   #55
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
In your previous attempts had you added WineHQ as a repository and grabbed WINE from them? If not, I would do that first once up and running on Xubuntu. Once they are added as a repository you can install and use the tool Synaptic to specifically select winehq-stable 6.0 from the list. It will want to install other needed stuff but will end up being 6.0 stable.

This is what mine says, but do note I removed WineHQ as a repository a month or so ago so I can't be updated.

Thanks glenn, your experiences, and willigness to post them, will be of immeasurable assistance to me, especially if I find that Xubuntu is the distro that works best for me.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #56
michael diemer

[QUOTE from soli deo gloria:

Well, to each his/her own, I think. I personally had way more success with Manjaro than with various Ubuntu XFCE flavours I tried during months in almost every department (and above all, ease of software install and availability and ease of performance tweaks with Wine-TKG, etc.), but in the end, to emphasize James' reply, it's probably a matter of finding one's own affinity with a certain distro, letting it reveal its goodies and badies through time before jumping ship immediately in the first tries. All distros have their weak points, after all, and the Ubuntus have their own share of downsides and muddles, too.[/QUOTE]

totally agree. There is no perfect distro, only ones that seem to suit certain people better than others. The only way to find that out is to try them. I've probably tried at least 20 distros. Even a couple BSD's!
Old 04-11-2021, 10:13 AM   #57
JamesPeters

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I am not necessarily ditching Manjaro at this point. I'll keep it installed at least for awhile. In the meantime, I'll test out Xubuntu. Then I'll be able to better judge what works best for me.

This is actually the second time I've tested Manjaro. I ran it a few years ago, but ended up replacing it, although I don't remember why. And, although I agree that Canonical is not what it used to be, there's no room for "purisim" here, I just need a distro that works for me. Since I have far more experience with Ubuntu-based distros, I need to see if that might work best for me.
Use whatever works best for you. I just know that Xubuntu isn't going to be any easier in this regard, because it was a matter of overlooking something that could've been avoided if you had more familiarity with the graphical frontend Pamac. Glen faced something similar already in Xubuntu, as you might have noticed earlier on this thread.

Either way you need to become more familiar with the package manager (on either distro) and avoid using Terminal unless absolutely necessary--and even then, it's probably not absolutely necessary.

When someone says "just sudo..."--read the contents of what they're saying, and try your absolute best to find a way to do it with the graphical tools provided in the distro. At least those tools provide feedback (including whether you did anything or not, unlike most Terminal commands).

I think the main reason you've tried so many distros (more than I have, and that's saying something lol) is that you were caught up using Terminal commands (recommended on forums etc.), and when you had a problem you assumed the distro was wonky. Sometimes a distro is wonky in some way (even if just a result of Nvidia driver package versions getting screwed up, as an example I faced--mostly Nvidia's fault). But these newer user-friendly distros go a long way to keeping things easy for the average user like us.

The reasons I'd recommend continuing to use Manjaro:

1) it's as user-friendly as Xubuntu, at least from what I've found,

2) the repos have more software, including some of the most up-to-date software (meaning you'll not need to download/build your own).

Whatever I think of Canonical: if Manjaro were annoying in some way, I'd have ditched it quickly. There are other distros I could've tried, which were on my list.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 04-11-2021 at 10:20 AM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:28 AM   #58
Held

Updating to 6.5 breaks stuff too and it doesn't seem to be fixed in 6.6 either.

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50867
Held is offline   Reply With Quote