Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-24-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
mds1976
Human being with feelings

Default how to import/x-fer volume env from one project to another?

I have two copies of the same session. Its a long session, almost 50 minutes and 13 songs. in one session, the volume envelope on the two tom tracks is edited to cut out all of the bleed when the drummer is not playing on the toms. The other has additional overdubs (vox & guitar) but no editing on the tom tracks volume envelope.

Instead of re-drawing and editing the tom tracks in the other session, is there a way to simply import the volume envelope from one session to the other? The original drum tracks are identical so the timing would be the same.

Is there a quick easy way to do this or do I have to re-draw the envelope for the tom tracks in the other session?

Just a guess, but I'm thinkng that I can copy/paste part of the session file in notepad?
mds1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:12 AM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

Exactly. You should be able to handle this as text. Some while back I remember doing a lot of work on a reverb envelope, then wanted to use a different reverb vst, and was able by text editing to copy from one to the other. Just make sure you have some sort of backup in case you make a mess of it such that Reaper can no longer understand it!
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:17 AM   #3
Art Evans
Mortal

Heh, actually, if you right click on an envelope point and study the available options, you should see how to do copy/paste of envelope points from one envelope to another. Available commands include select all and then copy. Go to the target track, select it, select the envelope, then paste.

To have two sessions open, spawn another instance of Reaper in the file menu and in the second instance, open the other session. You will find that you can paste the envelope points in there too. Remember that the whole, er, point is that you are working with envelope points, and Reaper doesn't care what the envelope is actually for - it's just applying the points from one envelope to the target envelope.

Last edited by Art Evans; 01-25-2007 at 12:19 AM.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:53 AM   #4
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds1976 View Post
Instead of re-drawing and editing the tom tracks in the other session, is there a way to simply import the volume envelope from one session to the other? The original drum tracks are identical so the timing would be the same.
As Art mentioned, if you have two instances of REAPER open you can copy and paste between the two.

As you've already copied the Tracks this might not help you in this instance, but in future, if you right-click on the Track Control Panel for the Track(s) you want to copy and select Copy selected tracks to clipboard you can then paste these into the second instance of REAPER, and it will copy your Envelope information along with all of the Items and FX chain(s) for these Tracks.

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:56 AM   #5
mds1976

Thanks guys.
mds1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
Jae.Thomas

transferred to wiki:

http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php...tween_projects
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:40 AM   #7
Ed C

Looks like there's no longer the option to 'Copy tracks to clipboard' in the TCP context menu. Is there another way to do this now?
Ed C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:48 AM   #8
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed C View Post
Looks like there's no longer the option to 'Copy tracks to clipboard' in the TCP context menu. Is there another way to do this now?
Just Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to your new project. It's simple copying. Another option is to convert your project envelopes to automation items (you can always undo it after) using action "Envelope: Convert all project automation to automation items". Then just copy the automation item (Ctrl+C) and paste to your new project or you can save it and then load in a new project.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:27 AM   #9
Ed C

Thanks Vitalker for taking the time to provide such a simple and obvious answer! I was sure I had tried simple copy-pasting, but in hindsight I think I had selected the items only - not the tracks themselves. Thanks again.
Ed C is offline   Reply With Quote