Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 04-15-2021, 11:34 AM   #1
Konzertheld
Human being with feelings

Default Cut parts out based on known positions saved in a text file

Hello everyone,

I have a very specific case that can be generalized a lot. I want to cut silence from a video. Because I was not satisfied with the results of the different silence detection methods in Reaper, I used a speech recognition algorithm designed to create subtitles. Now I have a subtitles file that has very accurate markers of where speech is present. I want to use this file to feed Reaper to automatically cut out the silence.

- I have programming skills. I can easily convert the subtitles file to any format if needed.
- Manually or only half-automated cutting silence is not an option. I need to cut hundreds of positions per file and dozens of files.
- I do know of a way to remove empty space though, so if the method I should use left me with the silent parts actually removed and I only needed to move all the remaining parts, that would be ok.
- Ideally though, I would like to feed a list of from-to-positions to Reaper by just loading a file and have Reaper simply ripple cut those out (do not leave empty space where the silence was).

What options do I have?

Thanks in advance!

(I did not put this in the video section because I do not think this is video-specific, as I do not request using specifically a subtitles file and I can cut the video file just as any audio file. I hope that's fine.)
Konzertheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:31 PM   #2
jrk

One way I can think of is to convert your "subtitles file" to a suitable csv file and
use the action:
Markers/Regions: Import markers/regions from file (replace all existing)

(or Script: X-Raym_Import markers and regions from tab-delimited CSV file.lua)

Either way, that gets you a bunch of regions corresponding to your speech.

(EDIT or, maybe better - regions corresponding to the gaps?)

Then, perhaps...
Script: X-Raym_Split selected items at regions.lua

Which leaves you with the task of deleting (or muting) outside regions...
(EDIT or removing the region contents...)

If no-one has a suggestion for that job, I can knock up a little script later today.

Last edited by jrk; 04-15-2021 at 11:45 PM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
Konzertheld

Thank you! That was very helpful already.

- I was able to import my markers as regions.
- I got the script to split my item using the regions.
- Now the simplest solution (to me) appears to be a loop of "select next item" twice, skipping every other one EDIT: Nope, just once, as one (the one the marker is at) is always skipped, and "ripple delete". I figured out I can just turn ripple on and then the normal remove action ("Remove items/tracks/envelope points") will ripple delete. So... how do I create that loop, and how do I get it to run until the end of the track and then stop?

EDIT: So... I figured out how to create such a loop (I found the SWS cycle editor). Turns out, just removing every other region is not such a bright idea, because not every pause between two subtitles means there is no spoken word*. So... I might be in luck and get my subtitle generator to not add unnecessary pauses, otherwise I'll need something to detect regions with unusually low volume, which is propably a lot harder than what I originally wanted to do and out of the scope of this thread, which can be considered solved.

Summary of what I did:
- convert subtitle file to Reaper-compatible CSV file
- "Markers/Regions: Import markers/regions from file (replace all existing)"
- "Script: X-Raym_Split selected items at regions.lua"
- Turn on ripple remove
- Use SWS cycle editor to create a loop of "Item navigation: Select and move to next item" and "Remove items/tracks/envelope points"

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

* The reason is propably that subtitles can't be too long and when it splits a subtitle into two so it can be displayed, it adds a pause in between them for whatever reason. This pause seems to have a specific length so maybe I am in luck and can remove all pauses of that specific length, but as soon as I miss one or have a false positive, dozens of regions might be deleted errorneously so while what I wanted to achieve works perfectly, the subtitle file is not as much of a help as I thought.

Last edited by Konzertheld; 04-16-2021 at 02:09 PM. Reason: figured it out myself
Konzertheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:40 PM   #4
jrk

Ah. Well, glad to help a little.

Just in case you hadn't thought of it,
https://opensource.com/article/19/9/...earning-python