Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-01-2018, 01:01 AM   #1
Tobbe
Human being with feelings

Default Observation - new installation. Do we still need Wine?

Hi,

Yesterday I did a new fresh installation of Ubuntu Studio. I saved all my .dll and .so files from my VST folder before the installation.

When everything was up and running I copied all the lin-vst-server file to /usr/bin with right permissions, and copied my VST folder to /home/user/VST. Installed Reaper via installer script from this forum. Started up Reaper and pointed out my VST folder who is intact from previous installation, with all dll and so files together.

Nothing shows up after scanning. What's wrong? I installed wine and did the same thing again and love and behold - it works.

So we still need wine of some sort to make those dll/so files to work together? Am I right? or is there another way to do this without wine?

//Tobbe
Old 08-01-2018, 02:27 AM   #2
Jack Winter

You most certainly need wine installed to work with LinVst. The way it works is that LinVst tricks reaper into thinking there is a linux vst. When reaper loads the linux vst then LinVst starts a small windows program running under wine that loads the windows vst. After that LinVst sits in the middle and copies data back and forth.

Without wine it would be impossible to load/run the windows vst, and the vst would have no way to for instance display it's GUI.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:05 AM   #3
Tobbe

Thank you for clarification.

//Tobbe