fataldissidence
Human being with feelings

Default Akai MidiMix control surface

Has anyone setup for reaper before?
fataldissidence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
badchoice

I am in the process now. It's fairly simple to get the basic functionality set up using the midi learn function in the Actions list editor (assigning faders to track volumes, assigning mute and record arm buttons to track mute/record arm, etc.). I set one knob to control the reverb level (send volume) for each track by creating custom actions (Select track x -> Set send volume) and then assigning this custom action to the knob using the MIDI learn feature. Reaper is awesome for this stuff.

However, the backlight LEDs don't work because the controller isn't receiving the right MIDI feedback from the DAW. I'm trying to figure a way to get those working, will let you know if I do....
badchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
fataldissidence

See, i want to use this for live bounce/live mix. I need to be able to map my various effects to the knobs without having to change channel on the on screen mixer... unless in being stupid, you can only have 2 effects per channel and need to toggle track onscreen to manipulate it... which makes having a daw controller with more than 1 channel pointless?
Old 12-13-2015, 06:28 AM   #4
fataldissidence

Note, i use this perfectly fine in ableton and logic... i just used to prefer reaper untill this issue.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #5
badchoice

Fatal,

If i'm understanding your concern correctly, you want to be able to map FX parameters for different tracks to the Midimix control surface. You want to manipulate fx parameters on different track without having to manually select the different track in the Reaper software. Reaper does support what I just described, with one caveat - for 3rd party fx, it only supports the first 16 parameters, which may or may not be the parameters you wish to maniuplate.
Anyway, to do the mapping, within the track fx you want to map, go to param -> fx parameters list -> learn, and then select the parameter you wish to map.
Like i said it works best for Reaper plugins like ReaComp because then it is easier to see what parameter you are manipulating, but nonetheless it does have limited support for 3rd party plugins as well.

Another use i had in mind is to use one row of knobs to adjust the send level to my Reverb bus for the various tracks. Send level can be manipulated by MIDI control, but it can only be done for the selected track. So, to work around that limitation, i created a custom action that first selects the desired track, then adjusts the send level. This has worked great. Just don't re-order your tracks .

As for getting the LEDs to work on the Midimix, it is not easily possible, because Reaper does not support midi feedback to control surfaces. This would be a great feature addition (e.g., the ability to send certain midi commands to a control surface based on certain conditions). A complicated work-around has been demonstrated by some very technically savvy users, if you want to spend serious time and effort programming the conversion of OSC to MIDI commands, since reaper supports OSC in this way. But i'd rather just wait and hope that Reaper adds support for custom actions involving Midi feedback to control surfaces. Until then, the control surface LEDs won't work.

Overall i am very happy with my addition of the Midimix control surface to my Reaper setup. It is particularly useful for practicing guitar/vocals and being able to adjust volumes, reverb, etc. on the fly without having to use a mouse.

Edit1: Correction: the Action to adjust Send level for selected track is natively supported in Reaper, SWS extension is not required.
Edit2: Here is the thread that discusses a possible work around that could be used to get LEDs working, by converter midi to OSC:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=97255

Last edited by badchoice; 12-20-2015 at 06:44 PM.
badchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
goldenarpharazon

A control surface setup for Akai MIDIMIX with feedback is now available for Reaper - see details of it new thread at

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1638321
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #7
goodebassman

Default Idiots guide for setting up Akai Midimix Control Surface

Just got a secondhand Akai Midimix...how the hell do I configure/ set up to work in Reaper?
I've read all the threads, downloaded OSC bots, etc???!!! Makes no sense to me...I need an idiots guide...please help!!!

Last edited by goodebassman; 11-05-2019 at 05:12 PM.
goodebassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:04 PM   #8
mschnell

The "CSI" Reaper extension is known to be able to host any Control Surface device, in a highly configurable way. I don't know if parameter sets (files) for the Akai already are available. best you ask in the appropriate thread -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 11-06-2019 at 03:25 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #9
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodebassman View Post
Just got a secondhand Akai Midimix...how the hell do I configure/ set up to work in Reaper?
I've read all the threads, downloaded OSC bots, etc???!!! Makes no sense to me...I need an idiots guide...please help!!!
1. Read https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...21&postcount=1 for the Akai MIDIMIX control surface and ask any follow up questions in that thread

2. Follow the control surface user guide installation instructions (the user guide is in the download zip file)

3. Additional step by step instructions for OSCII-bot are at https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=11

Good luck
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote