Old 02-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #1
wysocki
Human being with feelings

Default Preferences dialog switches ASIO sound behavior

Super newbie here. Just starting to use Reaper and I'm only interested in recording and editing midi drums. I had some latency with my Alesis Nitro drum kit so I decided to install ASIO4ALL on my Windows 7/64 machine. The latency is much better BUT I noticed that I now had NO sound from the computer from regular sources, like Youtube, WMP, and Windows notification sounds. All I could hear was the midi sounds from Reaper and my drum kit.

If I close Reaper, I get my windows sounds back. Even stranger, if I open the Preferences dialog window in Reaper, I lose the midi sounds, but get the Windows sounds back! Why on Earth does that window toggle the sounds I can hear? Here's a screenshot:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper-sound.jpg (62.3 KB, 15 views)
wysocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
Stella645

Because opening prefs puts Reaper in the background and when Reaper is in background the audio engine is let go and so other programs can access it.

You might try to untick "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" in advanced properties of your sound device (Windows sound setting) but with ASIO4all there are no guarantees it will work with multi programs.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
wysocki

The "Allow applications to take exclusive control..." checkbox didn't appear to have effect by itself. However, the "Give exclusive mode applications priority" checkbox DID cause effect in ASIO4ALL. With it unchecked, the "Realtek HD Audio output" showed a red X in ASIO4ALL and Reaper was not able to play any midi sounds at all.

IS simultaneous sound from Reaper and other apps even possible? The ASIO4ALL forum appears to be down with no way to contact them so it appears that my only option is to replace my soundcard.

Recommendations anyone?
wysocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Stella645

I'm not sure. I've seen it said before it's not possible with ASIO4all but actually I can do it here.

I do have other software acting as a virtual audio device on Windows audio which may be the reason it works...not sure. (Sonarworks SystemWide)

Any audio interface with a dedicated ASIO driver should be able to run Reaper as ASIO and other audio through WDM at the same time.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote