Old 06-14-2018, 06:00 AM   #1
songshop
Human being with feelings

Default have I found a bug?

I have found that if you do a "save as" and use an illegal character in the project name (a <?> in my case) the save fails with "Error creating project file! Project not saved!" The folder is actually created but no files are saved - just an empty folder.

This now happens every time I use the "save as" feature with "create folder" enabled. It creates the folder but no data is saved - even with perfectly safe characters.

Open a new project and try the save as feature and the error occurs when the "create project folder" option is checked. If I navigate to the folder and uncheck the folder create option "save as" will save the project data normally.

It seems this feature is now borked. It worked as expected until the use of the illegal character.

Any one else seen this ? Win 10 btw. Laptop and desktop both now affected. I must have made the mistake before and not realised it! I was aware of what happened tonight and was able to guess the character was the problem.

g
songshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:41 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Can you post a step-by-step recipe on how to reproduce that? I can't reproduce this, Windows doesn't let me save a project with a name containing illegal characters like '?' and it doesn't create a subfolder that way either.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #3
songshop
Human being with feelings

At first I couldn't re-create this either, but try adding a space before and/or after the illegal character,so there is a space before the .rpp extension. The OS will not permit the save until the bad character is removed. The error happens on the actual save cycle without the bad character. The error refers to being unable to copy the project data into the newly created folder. So the folder gets created, but nothing gets saved into it. The next "save as" you attempt will fail with the same error without there being an illegal character in the name : eg

Create a session with some data objects in it (one is enough)
do a "save as" TEST 50 ? .rpp with "create sub directory for project" and "copy all media into project directory" enabled
The save will not work, just stay open until you remove the <?>
Now do a "save as" as before with both check boxes enabled and Reaper creates the dir but gives a save error x 2 ( no data copied & project not saved)
Do a save as with create dir not enabled and Reaper will save the session as expected.

Now try to save the same session as TEST 51.rpp ( without the illegal character) using "save as" with both check boxes enabled and Reaper will create the folder but give the save error as before even though no bad character has been used in this save. Reaper can now no longer save projects using save as with create folder enabled, even with no bad characters.

I hope that is clearer. This worked for me. Let me know if you need more.

g
songshop is offline   Reply With Quote