Old 12-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
PJ_Pete
Human being with feelings

Default Stuttering During Recording

Hi Everyone,

I was trying to record 12 bars of bass using my Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 interface and even over that short period of time, Reaper was stuttering. I'm surprised because I have a computer which I'd think would be able to handle this; specs as follows:

Win 7 Pro (64 bit) - I've optimized it per instructions on many web pages and I disconnect the internet when I'm recording. I close all other programs and extras that might be running in the system tray.

Intel i3 3.g GHz
32 GB RAM
SSD system drive
Western Digital hybrid drive 7200 rpm

Reaper is running from my SSD drive.
I read that it's better to have projects, samples and vsts on a different drive, so that's all on a partition on my Western Digital drive.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Pete
Old 12-02-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
uncleswede

Welcome.

First question is are you using the latest Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 ASIO driver?
Dedicated ASIO drivers generally make a huge difference to latency/efficiency

https://uk.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Scarlett+2i2
uncleswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #3
PJ_Pete

Hi uncleswede,

Yes, the Focusrite driver is installed and working. I'm monitoring the bass via the "Direct Monitor" and that's fine. It's the pc's playback that's stuttering when I'm trying to record.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:02 PM   #4
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Pete View Post
Hi uncleswede,

Yes, the Focusrite driver is installed and working. I'm monitoring the bass via the "Direct Monitor" and that's fine. It's the pc's playback that's stuttering when I'm trying to record.
Hmmm... If you double the asio buffer from whatever you have at the moment does it playback without stuttering whilst recording?
Old 12-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
drumphil

Have you selected ASIO as your driver type in reaper, and selected the Focusrite ASIO driver? And what uncleswede said.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:40 AM   #6
PJ_Pete

Thanks Drumhill and uncleswede,

I doubled the ASIO buffer to 2048 and had no stuttering after that, but I'm going to be recording more tomorrow (Monday) and record longer parts to confirm that increasing the buffer size was the solution.

I will reply back here afterwards.

Many thanks!

My best,
Pete
Old 12-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
uncleswede

Glad you hav a working solution but I'm pretty sure you should be able to get a much lower, workable ASIO buffer size than 2048 with your PC spec and the Focusrite interface.

It may be that there is a particular PC component which is causing an abnormally high audio latency. So, download and run the DPC latency checker to check out your DAW's latency...

http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml
Old 12-03-2017, 09:55 PM   #8
drumphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
Glad you hav a working solution but I'm pretty sure you should be able to get a much lower, workable ASIO buffer size than 2048 with your PC spec and the Focusrite interface.

It may be that there is a particular PC component which is causing an abnormally high audio latency. So, download and run the DPC latency checker to check out your DAW's latency...

http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml
Yep. Also, what software do you have installed that could be running in the background?

What asio buffer size were you running when you had problems before you increased it to 2048?

Also, how much cpu usage are you seeing running one of the projects that causes problems? Are you sure you aren't just running out of CPU power? Remember, record enabled tracks all run on one CPU core, so you can have one core overloaded, even though you haven't hit 100% usage across all cores.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:17 AM   #9
PJ_Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
Yep. Also, what software do you have installed that could be running in the background?

What asio buffer size were you running when you had problems before you increased it to 2048?

Also, how much cpu usage are you seeing running one of the projects that causes problems? Are you sure you aren't just running out of CPU power? Remember, record enabled tracks all run on one CPU core, so you can have one core overloaded, even though you haven't hit 100% usage across all cores.
I didn't know that record tracks all run on the same core. I think that I'm overloading my cores. I'm going to throw in an i5 and see if that helps.

Thanks!